PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker signs with Denver Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea this is a sick joke. While watching all this unfold the last two years I've concluded that Welker really pissed someone off in the organization [foot fetish presser or something similar? If so, Belichick has lost his mind and I don't trust his judgment anymore].

Lots going on behind the scenes that we will probably never know about, but there is no friggin way this was just about the Pats "placing a value" on Welker and not deviating from it, as a lot of posters are suggesting--$5M per for two years? LMAO. I've never heard of a more insulting offer. Pats simply didn't want him back for whatever reason. Welker's mainly about winning and the Broncos just got a steal.

We've accepted so many of these strange moves in the belief that BB is a cold, calculating tactician who studies all of his options and makes optimal decisions based on all of the available alternatives. It will be so nauseating if we find out years down the road that Belichick made numerous moves during his tenure based on personal feelings toward specific players, and no one had any power in the organization to override his stance.

Heh...Dabruinz i know you're the preeminent homer on here and now that Amendola is a Patriot there are obviously no injury concerns amirite?

Personally I'm fine with Amendola, there are always questions regarding players. I'm just pissed at Welker going to the broncos for that sum.

There are injury concerns with every player. Every player, including Brady, could tear an ACL or dislocate an elbow or break an arm or leg. It comes with playing such a violent sport.

Only people who are cluless say I am the "pre-eminent" homer on this board. Am I disappointed that Welker is gone? Yep. Said so all day. I feel both sides are at fault and that it didn't have to come to this. And the Reiss article cements that feeling..

Read the Reiss article, it's very enlightening..

2013 NFL free agency -- New England Patriots quickly shifted from Wes Welker to Danny Amendola - ESPN Boston

The offer wasn't just 2yr/at 5M per year. There were incentives that could have raised it to 8M per year.

This still doesn't explain why the Pats drew the line in the sand so low. From reading this, I can't blame Welker. Get paid more to go and play with another HoF QB for a serious contender. Sounds like Elway and the org has already embraced him and his personality. I'd have tweeted a middle finger to Belichick on the way out.

For better or for worse, though, the Patriots don't view things that way. Even in 2007, they didn't make any truly outrageous "2007 or bust" signings.

As BB said, even when everything goes right, winning a Super Bowl is hard. Is he willing to take a small future hit for a huge gain now? Probably. Is he willing to risk cap hell to win now? I doubt it.

I know you we're responding to the "2013 or bust" idea, but how for the sweet love of God would 5 million per for two years (for arguably one of the top 3 receivers in the game right now) remotely put us in "cap hell?"

And "this could end of being a huge gain in the short team?" Say what?? Amendola is aserious downgrade from Welker (and risk considering his injury history).

I know you're a Welker fan, but your assertion is beyond asinine.

This still doesn't explain why the Pats drew the line in the sand so low. From reading this, I can't blame Welker. Get paid more to go and play with another HoF QB for a serious contender. Sounds like Elway and the org has already embraced him and his personality. I'd have tweeted a middle finger to Belichick on the way out.

HUH? Did you not read the part where Welker had all of 1 other offer from another team? And it was 2yr/$15M, but they weren't a contender?

Offering 2yr/$5M with the potential to increase each year by 60% is not lowballing. Welker, at best, will make $12.3M this year and next with Denver. He could have made up to $16M with the Pats. And they didn't try and get the Pats to change the levels at which the incentives were reached. They only "believed" that the Pats wouldn't budge.

A few things that were not in Welker's favor:
1) Age - He'll be 32 in a couple months.
2) Drops - He had more drops this year than in previous years. And it was noticeable.
3) His YAC was down about 1 yard per catch.

As for tweeting Belichick the middle finger, well, stay classy with that..

HUH? Did you not read the part where Welker had all of 1 other offer from another team? And it was 2yr/$15M, but they weren't a contender?

Offering 2yr/$5M with the potential to increase each year by 60% is not lowballing. Welker, at best, will make $12.3M this year and next with Denver. He could have made up to $16M with the Pats. And they didn't try and get the Pats to change the levels at which the incentives were reached. They only "believed" that the Pats wouldn't budge.

A few things that were not in Welker's favor:
1) Age - He'll be 32 in a couple months.
2) Drops - He had more drops this year than in previous years. And it was noticeable.
3) His YAC was down about 1 yard per catch.

As for tweeting Belichick the middle finger, well, stay classy with that..

You have to reach an incentive to earn it. He's automatically making more today for the Broncos. Welker got paid a fair price based on what I have seen, and he's going into another elite offense with a chance at a ring. I don't think he's going to be very upset. You can't also discount that if he plays like a stud for Peyton these next two years, he's got more money coming his way.

And that would really sting.

Yea this is a sick joke. While watching all this unfold the last two years I've concluded that Welker really pissed someone off in the organization [foot fetish presser or something similar? If so, Belichick has lost his mind and I don't trust his judgment anymore].

Lots going on behind the scenes that we will probably never know about, but there is no friggin way this was just about the Pats "placing a value" on Welker and not deviating from it, as a lot of posters are suggesting--$5M per for two years? LMAO. I've never heard of a more insulting offer. Pats simply didn't want him back for whatever reason. Welker's mainly about winning and the Broncos just got a steal.

This smells like McDaniels
The petty and personal and awkward way it was handled, is similar to what happened in Denver

There are injury concerns with every player. Every player, including Brady, could tear an ACL or dislocate an elbow or break an arm or leg. It comes with playing such a violent sport.

Only people who are cluless say I am the "pre-eminent" homer on this board. Am I disappointed that Welker is gone? Yep. Said so all day. I feel both sides are at fault and that it didn't have to come to this. And the Reiss article cements that feeling..

Forgive me if I'm repeating somebody else, but the main difference between Welker and Amendola's injury history is that Welker had the decency to suffer his major injury on the last (regular season) game and therefore didn't miss any (regular season) games because of it. If Welker wrecks his ACL in game one, or pre-season, he and Amendola look similar from an injury perspective. Plus it's not like Amendola has been battling feet or hamstring issues, things that are at a high risk of recurrence.

I can't remember being more disappointed in the Patriots. This feels like a bigger loss than losing to the Ravens in the AFC Championship. The arrogance! The cheapskates! They've truly outsmarted themselves this time.

This decision will either work out tremendously and Amendola will be twice as good as Welker ever was, in which case I'll gladly eat crow. Or this will completely blow up in their face as Danny gets hurt and Brady has no good WRs to throw to. All while the Denver Broncos make a strong run to the Lombardi trophy. Guess which one has a better chance of happening. Ugh!

Well, it was $5M base + a lot of incentives. Without knowing what those incentives are, it's hard to say.

And, equally importantly, remember the idea of "self-scouting"? Whatever they saw on film—plus whatever their medical staff has told them—might have convinced them that offering him more than that was a risky idea.

This deal smells of a bridge burned, but so what? The Pats had moved on from Wes Welker. That's it. They didn't get their doors blown off by another team, they gave Welker a barren offer that showed that they weren't all that committed to keeping him, and *shocker* they didn't keep him.

Whether or not everyone accepts that the Pats didn't do much to retain Welker is irrelevant. The accusations that Kraft is being cheap are asinine.

Re: Schefter: Wes possibly going to Denver

Congrats BB, you have seriously downgraded our team and created one of the best WR trios in the last 10 years on an AFC rival!

Well said...Belichick did create a potent offense this off season through free agency. Unfortunately that potent offense is the Denver Broncos. No need to fear though, I just read that Donald Brown will be in NE today. He represents great "value"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents