PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened to “Ignore the noise”?

With a lot of teams having cap space projected for 2024, I wonder if we will see a ton of extensions this season as teams fear losing free agents to teams with cap space.

I hope the Pats lock up Dugger, Onwenu and Uche during this year.
Wouldn't mind seeing extensions to those 3.

Others who will be up for Extensions:
Mac Jones, Matt Judon, Rhamondre Stevenson, Brendan Schooler, Christian Barmore.

Just wanted to mention that the Patriots have just as many if not more players under contract next year than much of the rest of the league. It’s a reset year for everyone.
Yeah that's true.. it's starting to feel like it's been a reset each year that past few. I'd like for this season to actually mean something.

Wouldn't mind seeing extensions to those 3.

Others who will be up for Extensions:
Mac Jones, Matt Judon, Rhamondre Stevenson, Brendan Schooler, Christian Barmore.
Agreed!! However schooler will get the team friendly extension.. judon is elite without a doubt and has a motor that never runs out of gas.. he'd likely get a 2yr extension due to his age.

Rham.. he's still on his rookie deal... not sure how the team would approach him.
Being how backs are becoming devalued..

My guy barmore is a force.. however he has to show some durability going forward..

The 2021 spending spree at least let them identify a couple players they may want to keep around on another contract - Judon, perhaps Hunter Henry, perhaps Jalen Mills. Maybe Bourne if he can return to 2021 form and put 2022 behind him. Was Adrian Phillips signed during that group? I can’t recall. In any case, you at least found a couple decent pieces.

Mac hopefully does rise to the challenge, they get a couple impact players early in the draft, BOB and Klemm do their jobs and the team competes this year. I don’t think it’s too farfetched. But I am curious about plans beyond this year since so many contracts expire after this season and then most of the rest that weren’t drafted recently expire after 2024’s season. They have a ton of cash coming available after this year and if we don’t expect them to make a big free agency splash again then I am not sure what the plans are. They’d need to start using that money to extend guys like Dugger and Onwenu soon, if they intend to retain them, unless they are planning to let almost all of them hit free agency and see what their markets are.
Agreed!!!! I hadn't seen anyone make mention of do we draft the next center? Andrews is getting older and has had some injury history.. that's an important thing.. we need to be focusing on that as well.. I believe Phillips got a 2 yr extension I think?... he's an important piece to the defense especially with McCourty retired. We have some peices going forward.. we need to knock this draft out the park..

In the Patriots case, winning went away when Brady put NE in his rearview mirror.
That's a huge part of it. But I would add in the factor that, in the aftermath of TB12 leaving, NE decided to swallow a year of cap hell rather than spreading the damage to future years. Then came the horrifc year of the Fat Matt experiment. That ended, cap hell has long since ended, and here we are.

Yes, to simply put it... when the GOAT left for Tampa...
@dreighver. The truth is never popular... it's the only thing that doesn't need to be agreed nor disagreed... that's why it's called the truth.. until our team can show it can win post brady the fact will remain on my GOAT statement..

From my observations they ARE ignoring the noise. Bill certainly is, as well as Mac. Maybe the the group that should possibly be "ignoring the the noise" a bit more should be US.

From my observations they ARE ignoring the noise. Bill certainly is, as well as Mac. Maybe the the group that should possibly be "ignoring the the noise" a bit more should be US.
Mr "On to Cincinnati" doesn't seem to be ignoring the noise when he is making excuses about the lowest cash spending, blaming 2020 on going all in to win super bowls, and comments like "look at the last 25 years".

Mr "On to Cincinnati" doesn't seem to be ignoring the noise when he is making excuses about the lowest cash spending, blaming 2020 on going all in to win super bowls, and comments like "look at the last 25 years".
To Bill noise is anything that he doesn't agree with and his solution is to try to dump anyone who dares speak up. He seems to have his fans here under control.

BB asked to be in this position when he accepted the HC/GM responsibility. He gets acclaim for all the winning rightly so
However I'm sure he knows he will get criticized when we aren't. But your right what I can't seem understand is how does judge get a promotion when it was reported he was the large part of the problem last season offensively.. another odd decision by him.

I always ignore the noise, unless by noise you mean fans who see things wrong and comment about it, you know, like fans would on a team's message board.

The funny thing is, I have issues with what we call sports talk around here so I don't listen. But I keep seeing their comments quoted here. If I want to know what Felger and Mazz have to say I'll tune in. But I don't.

Nicolas Cage Applause GIF

BB asked to be in this position when he accepted the HC/GM responsibility. He gets acclaim for all the winning rightly so
However I'm sure he knows he will get criticized when we aren't. But your right what I can't seem understand is how does judge get a promotion when it was reported he was the large part of the problem last season offensively.. another odd decision by him.
Bill seems to be avoiding taking responsibility for things that have gone wrong the last couple years. 2020 was because of all the "loading up" he did to win super bowls. Then, what seemed like a shot at Kraft, came the statement about being one of the lowest teams on cash spending trying to justify the 2021 free agent bonanza I guess? Then last year he seems to be putting the blame on Mac for the offensive struggles with his lack of anything definitive on Mac being the guy.

When it all boils down to it Bill's poor drafting has put him in this position and his little comments just seem like finger pointing. Kraft (who really should have shut up about the whole Meek Mill/Lamar thing) seems to be growing more and more impatient based on his comments the last few years and the letter to season ticket holders about how things are going to change. So far since that letter I haven't seen much change outside of hiring a real OC which seems to be championed as some sort of brilliant move around here. Hiring an OC with an offensive background is now reason to throw a ticker tape parade it seems but outside of O'Brien Bill seems to be building a roster the way he always has. "Strong middle class" except that only works when you mix in the greatest player to ever play the game and a hall of fame tight end. It doesn't work when you have a middling QB the coach doesn't seem to like. I have said it a few times now but I am ready to move on from Bill, and his drafting and his antiquated style of team building. The dynasty is dead so let's hurry up and fully pull the band aid off.

Yup. He created some noise when he was asked about Mac being the starter and instead of saying yea and squashing any of this B.S he said Mac can play in this league. The noise hasn’t been started by players, it’s on Bill and Kraft.

@dreighver. The truth is never popular... it's the only thing that doesn't need to be agreed nor disagreed... that's why it's called the truth.. until our team can show it can win post brady the fact will remain on my GOAT statement..
You posted your opinion. It's not "truth" or "fact". It's just what you think about the situation.

Tagging someone for a post reaction and claiming your opinion/post is an untouchable matter of fact, is pretty far-out stuff.

If you don't want others to disagree with you, or challenge your opinion, then don't share your opinion on a public forum. You don't get to post whatever you please and then shout down anyone who sees things differently.

I dropped the "clown" reaction because I'm freakin' exhausted of this Brady-BB dynamic being rehashed, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, ad nauseam, now 3+ years after the fact.

Last edited:
Question is, do those human tendencies associated with lack of success show up because winning goes away?
Or does winning go away because those tendencies associated with lack of success crowd it out?

truth be told I believe both are always present. Each of us chooses which we manifest. Every day 50 or 100 or so players and coaches each make their own individual decisions. What we see over the course of the season is how all those individual decisions collectively play out in competition with the rest of the league.

with all the noise this off-season it will be interesting to see how things play out over the course of the coming season.
All people, regardless of field or background, react to incentives. Those incentives may be different but they are always present.

For professional athletes, they are money and winning. Their behavior will always be informed by those 2 things. That is why you see players outperforming in contract years. Same reason our players always followed the company line - because it lead to money and winning.

There are very few players that can keep the same commitment in the absence of the incentives being met and not enough to matter in a 53 men roster.

Bill seems to be avoiding taking responsibility for things that have gone wrong the last couple years. 2020 was because of all the "loading up" he did to win super bowls. Then, what seemed like a shot at Kraft, came the statement about being one of the lowest teams on cash spending trying to justify the 2021 free agent bonanza I guess? Then last year he seems to be putting the blame on Mac for the offensive struggles with his lack of anything definitive on Mac being the guy.

When it all boils down to it Bill's poor drafting has put him in this position and his little comments just seem like finger pointing. Kraft (who really should have shut up about the whole Meek Mill/Lamar thing) seems to be growing more and more impatient based on his comments the last few years and the letter to season ticket holders about how things are going to change. So far since that letter I haven't seen much change outside of hiring a real OC which seems to be championed as some sort of brilliant move around here. Hiring an OC with an offensive background is now reason to throw a ticker tape parade it seems but outside of O'Brien Bill seems to be building a roster the way he always has. "Strong middle class" except that only works when you mix in the greatest player to ever play the game and a hall of fame tight end. It doesn't work when you have a middling QB the coach doesn't seem to like. I have said it a few times now but I am ready to move on from Bill, and his drafting and his antiquated style of team building. The dynasty is dead so let's hurry up and fully pull the band aid off.
Boy do I love the TRUTH!!!! It appears a select few posters on here can't understand when we speak the truth. That is the only thing that no one can hide from. Eloquently said, and Eloquently put. What you said is factual! When we speak truths it gets perceived as if we hate BB.. not in the least. Having the GOAT allowed us to get away with draft bust, occasionally a FA bust..

I'm still waiting on what Mayos role will be? Judges role was announced why not mayo? Another thing is when a coach is named the title of OC or DC respectively.. it comes with a salary.. average salary is about 1.1 million..

Plays exactly into why he claims he wasn't big on titles.. I also wonder why the team never put out a statement regarding the Mac situation of late? Another oddity..

I do believe this season is huge for both Mac and BB..

That's a huge part of it. But............................
No buts......
Brady's final 3 years in NE....Pats averaged 12 wins/yr
The 3 post-Brady era seasons....Pats averaged 8.33 wins/yr
Net....-3.67 wins/yr average

Tampa averaged 5.66 wins/season in 3 years prior to Brady
Tampa averaged 10.66 wins/season in 3 years with Brady
Net.......+5 games/yr average

Combined swing: 8.67 games/yr average ......aka....a near perfect positive correlation coefficient
----------------------------------------------
Note: BB owns 1 playoff win (vs NE 1994) in 10 seasons without Brady (Clev + NE)

Last edited:
This could be looked at as an example of Bill being out of touch with the current version of NYFL players. Maybe this group of players understands that it's about them, not the coaches, and they feel that they have every right to express their concerns. After all, it's their careers and bodies that are on the line.

Back in 2007 Tom Coughlin had a sit down with some of the Giant players and was told that he might want to lighten up a bit. After that meeting they went on to win most of their games, including the SB vs the Pats. I don't have confidence that Bill would do such a thing even though the NYFL players seem to be coming out of the dark ages of blind allegiance.

The my-way-or-the-highway method is alive and well and living in Foxboro. We'll see if it works
Is this the version of players, who thinks #we are MORE then the coaches, owners of the NYFL? Good luck for every player

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back