PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position should the Pats take with their next [Day 2, #34] pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Pats take with their next pick (now 34)?

• WR

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • OT

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • DB

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is a huge drop-off after mitchell and mcconkey and they will not last till 40. But the tackles could be there till 50.
Mitchell is a player but he's got character concerns, Buffalo also might take him with the first pick.

Play to win, that starts with big strong guys in the trenches and I have a first round grade on OT Patrick Paul.
I agree.
Me too.
All he lacks is polish,refinement. But he’ll play like a first-rounder. Patrick Paul, LT, Houston at 34. A better prospect than lackadaisical Tyler Guyton the Cowboys took 28.

I would have only deviated if Xavier Leggett were still available.

Jack Jones is a head case and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Okorafor being a starter is also not a qualification, he wasn't good and there's lot of bad starters in the NFL.

If they can take a blue chip OT now they should, trade back up if they want to target a specific WR after.
Like I said: Paul. I was responding to them taking someone in FA - I didn't want an old guy and there really wasn't much.

But if Andrews is calling it quits after this year and the other Andrews isn't the answer, you can settle the middle of your OL for a long time with JPJ.

It's Paul, JPJ, McConkey, Mitchell for me.

Any of Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson, AD Mitchell (although I have serious reservations about his attitude and application) and even Tez Walker would do me. Although 34 is rich for Tez, but if we trade down pick up Tez and Patrick Paul or Kingsley S, that would be a win

I think they should have been all in on a Smith rental for a year or two.

Okorafor could be fine. He could be terrible. Anderson could come back from his illness. He may not. I would have preferred they took it a little more seriously even if it meant overpaying until they get their LT in the draft.
Before you head over to the Tobin why don't we see how the rest of the draft goes.

I agree.
Me too.
All he lacks is polish,refinement. But he’ll play like a first-rounder. Patrick Paul, LT, Houston at 34. A better prospect than lackadaisical Tyler Guyton the Cowboys took 28.

I would have only deviated if Xavier Leggett were still available.
I wanted Leggett, he would have been the only WR I would have taken with the second pick.

Patrick Paul is a smart conscientious kid, multi-year team captain, he showed up at the senior bowl against better competition. He also has stupid good, first round pick type measurables. He also has a brother in the NFL and has second hand experience. His wingspan is ridiculous when paired with his strength.

Patrick Paul
6-8 331
5.13 forty
29.0 vertical
30 bench
7.65 cone
4.71 shuttle
86 ¼ wingspan 36 ¼ arms

Take that kid, instant starter.

There's still tackles on the board, Patrick Paul or Kingsley Suamataia are worthy of second round picks. Even guys they could take in the third round in Blake Fisher or Frank Crum. There are also guys who have the prerequisite athleticism but simply need to add strength.
There are but I think the better players available at the moment are the wideouts. OT got savaged last night. 8 are gone. 7 WR's are gone as well. However going into the draft, WR was the much deeper position. I'm fine with them just snagging the BPA at one of the positions of need. Then maybe we make a trade for Aiyuk and the rest of next year and next off season can be 100% offensive line go all in on beefing it up and spending there.

Mitchell is a player but he's got character concerns, Buffalo also might take him with the first pick.
U r right, so prolly Buffalo might not pick him as they are in win now mode and can't risk it . In their forums they have been talking a lot about fletcher being the pick .

More likely mitchell should be available to us . The point is will we take the risk considering our history of busts on wide receiver drafts in the past.

best player available

Of course, somewhat Depends on what Bills do.
Kingsley is the tackle choice, best pass blocker left. Plays left and right. Paul needs more work but backup plan.
AD or Ladd for WR, should be 1 of those 4 if they stay at the pick.

I wasn't as down on the ability to rebuild as other people. I think if they had done the Falcons thing and signed Cousins and drafted Maye, gotten a better OT in free agency and then worked on a trade for a WR, we'd be looking at a fringe team. Instead, they've already decided to take the year off. That hopefully will prove to be a smart move, but it could backfire on us.
You keep saying this. Tell us which free agent tackle, other than the one they signed they should have picked up. Then tell us why we would have wanted to spend 100 million guaranteed $160 million contract on oft injured 34? year old Cousins? You are making absolutely zero sense and come across like you are whining. They have their place holder qb, they have their qb of the future, they picked up one tackle in free agency, they have a pretty good younger core of interior o-linemen, they need another tackle probably and a really good wide receiver. There weren't many free agent tackles and a bunch of teams wanted them, we got one of the best ones, and resigned one of ours.

There are but I think the better players available at the moment are the wideouts. OT got savaged last night. 8 are gone. 7 WR's are gone as well. However going into the draft, WR was the much deeper position. I'm fine with them just snagging the BPA at one of the positions of need. Then maybe we make a trade for Aiyuk and the rest of next year and next off season can be 100% offensive line go all in on beefing it up and spending there.
I don't see any amazing WR's left, Adonai Mitchell is a problem child, beyond that there's some good WR's left.

Football is won in the trenches. Take Patrick Paul... the kid is a blue chip prospect.

You keep saying this. Tell us which free agent tackle, other than the one they signed they should have picked up. Then tell us why we would have wanted to spend 100 million guaranteed $160 million contract on oft injured 34? year old Cousins? You are making absolutely zero sense and come across like you are whining. They have their place holder qb, they have their qb of the future, they picked up one tackle in free agency, they have a pretty good younger core of interior o-linemen, they need another tackle probably and a really good wide receiver. There weren't many free agent tackles and a bunch of teams wanted them, we got one of the best ones, and resigned one of ours.
Okorafor is a stiff... Oli Udoh, Yoshi Nijman or Andrus Peat were much better F/A options for similar or less money.

Okorafor is a stiff... Oli Udoh, Yoshi Nijman or Andrus Peat were much better F/A options for similar or less money.
Jacoby Brissett is already hurting at reading this. Ouch!

Football is won in the trenches.
True.

Teams like the Jets with an underwhelming OL drafting QBs in the top five have learned the hard way the truth.

Notice what they did last night? Take my LT1 after trading back one slot

Smart. Very smart.

U r right, so prolly Buffalo might not pick him as they are in win now mode and can't risk it . In their forums they have been talking a lot about fletcher being the pick .

More likely mitchell should be available to us . The point is will we take the risk considering our history of busts on wide receiver drafts in the past.
Fletcher who?

True.

Teams like the Jets with an underwhelming OL drafting QBs in the top five have learned the hard way the truth.

Notice what they did last night? Take my LT1 after trading back one slot

Smart. Very smart.
I liked the tackle the Jests took... now I hope he crashes and burns :rofl:

Voted for WR
This management team has telegraphed its intentions all offseason and the combination of resigning Onwenu for tackle money and patting themselves on the back for signing jaggy Okorafor, I have to believe WR is their most pressing concern with several viable solutions within reach at 34.
Furthermore, I am projecting that NE will finally address OT in the 1st next year with their likely high pick.
The organization can't keep kicking the OT can down the street forever.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back