PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position should the Pats take with their next [Day 2, #34] pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Pats take with their next pick (now 34)?

• WR

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • OT

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • DB

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Unsurprisingly, the run on offensive players means that the best available players is dominated by defensive players. The highest-ranked OL remaining is 23rd on the list. There are three WRs (Mitchell, McConkey, Coleman) in the top 10, and the #1 overall is Cooper DeJean.

Feel free to debate specific players, but I'm curious: what position do you want to see drafted with their next pick?

I went WR because the position is still very strong.

I also like the Center position. 2 plug and play on the board.

Tackles are athletic but not sure fire imo.

With the way the draft has fallen, we could go with best player available on defense or even running back. I just have a feeling we aren't going for need with our next pick.

If we do go for need then wr and Coleman stands out for me.

Center with the 34th pick when you have David Andres makes absolutely no sense.
Right. I’d go McConkey or Mitchell personally.

However if they went off script and took a center of that caliber I wouldn’t be mad. Andrews is almost done and JPJ and Zinter seem like solid starters. Don’t see much bust in either.

With the way the draft has fallen, we could go with best player available on defense or even running back. I just have a feeling we aren't going for need with our next pick.

If we do go for need then wr and Coleman stands out for me.
I like Coleman. His short area quickness and power are overshadowed by his 40. His combine was very similar to Deandre Hopkins.

My vote is for OT or WR.
Those needs are so glaring, to me it is too soon to think BPA.

You can still get good CB/FS/DT/Edge depth a little later.
The Pats defense is not the problem; the offense was/is still awful, until proven otherwise.
Give the new QB some help.

My vote is for OT or WR.
Those needs are so glaring, to me it is too soon to think BPA.

You can still get good CB/FS/DT/Edge depth a little later.
The Pats defense is not the problem; the offense was/is still awful, until proven otherwise.
Give the new QB some help.
You're correct about the glaring needs. I think that could have been solved by a trade back into the first, but that ship has sailed.

The issue with filling the glaring needs, is that you are in full-on coin flip mode, because the best players are long gone. There is still incredible talent left in the draft, just not at WR, QB or OT.

Right. I’d go McConkey or Mitchell personally.

However if they went off script and took a center of that caliber I wouldn’t be mad. Andrews is almost done and JPJ and Zinter seem like solid starters. Don’t see much bust in either.
We just drafted a future center in Jake Andrews last yr. How many do we need?

We’re likely going offense but not gonna lie Dejean is intriguing.
There is first round talent (a lot of it) still available at every defensive position. I'm thinking corner because it seems like an obvious need, but Brandon Fiske is out there too, if you wanted a DT, for example.

Mcconkey makes a ton of sense. He would be amazing for us
Spectacular agility (3.97 20shut, 6.72 3cone) which shows in the route running (or so people say I haven't watched besides highlights and the Georgia Champ game where he had 2TDs). Solid speed. I worry a lot about injuries for him with his history, which has been a curse for the Pats and WRs in the top 4 rounds. Former QB (and RB, DB, Punter, and Returner). Seems like an extremely likable guy that would immediately hit it off with his teammates. Edit: Supposedly reached 21.4mph on a 70yd rushing TD in '22.

McConkey and Maye and call it a day.

Last edited:
Then again Mitchell has incredible speed for his height and weight (6'2.2", 205lbs, 1.48 10, 4.34 40) to go with his RR ability. Just learned why he transferred from Georgia - to be closer to his baby girl. Another injury risk. EDIT: Also played QB in HS as a frosh/soph.

Mitchell and Maye and call it a day.

Last edited:
Wr seems to be the better pick here. Maye and ladd or Mitchell is a heck of a start for us.

If you can land even 2 more solid players at any of cb, fs, LT with the last 5 picks id be ecstatic tbh

Then again Mitchell has incredible speed for his height and weight (6'2.2", 205lbs, 1.48 10, 4.34 40) to go with his RR ability. Just learned why he transferred from Georgia - to be closer to his baby girl. Another injury risk.

Mitchell and Maye and call it a day.
I like them both. Mitchell and McConkey. You really can’t f this up unless they trade back. The table is set. Don’t reach on a OT when you have two tier 1b starters sitting there.

Spectacular agility (3.97 20shut, 6.72 3cone) which shows in the route running (or so people say I haven't watched besides highlights and the Georgia Champ game where he had 2TDs). Solid speed. I worry a lot about injuries for him with his history, which has been a curse for the Pats and WRs in the top 4 rounds. Former QB (and RB, DB, Punter, and Returner). Seems like an extremely likable guy that would immediately hit it off with his teammates. Edit: Supposedly reached 21.4mph on a 70yd rushing TD in '22.

McConkey and Maye and call it a day.
My only concern is that he wasnt productive enough for Georgia. With all that ability at a powerhouse, why didn't he produce more? Is the Georgia QB Beck not up to the task?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back