PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters
If you have Lock, Heinicke or Allen in front of Cam then you need your posting privileges taken away. I couldn't even be bothered to look at whatever else you mentioned.
You’d rather have Cam Newton than Drew Lock?
Lock is a much more natural passer with similar mobility and is much younger.

So does the Stafford / Goff deal put any new light on what BB is going to do ? Is it more likely that we trade up to get a "better" QB ?

i think looking at the trade value QBs will command, that unless the patriots move up or unless QB3 or QB4 drops to 15, that we'll see a competent FA signing and a lower round QB and a focus on roster upgrade through draft & FA........

With 2 productive veteran receivers, I think a “game manager” qb, who can make a few plays, would lead us to the playoffs, if bb can fix the front seven of the defense.

You’d rather have Cam Newton than Drew Lock?
Lock is a much more natural passer with similar mobility and is much younger.

Are you kidding me ? 1000 out of 1000 times. Lock is in the bust territory for me. Newton will be longer in the league than he will.

Are you kidding me ? 1000 out of 1000 times. Lock is in the bust territory for me. Newton will be longer in the league than he will.
Overall Newton may have more NFL seasons.
I can agree to that possibility.
I can’t agree that Newton gives us a better chance to win over Lock the next 3 seasons.

i'd rather a trubisky or brisset over stidham or cam
Cousin,
A Sunday breakfast of cinnamon french toast smothered in blueberries, real maple syrup, ham, coffee with french vanilla and orange juice.
Our realistic shots at QB? I always am intrigued by the Draft. I am also realistic about how many actual successes there are using first rounders at QB. Out of the 32 Teams in the last five years only 7 that I classify as a top tier QB in first rounders (including Mayfield..your call). Did not add Jones either.

BB has a shelf life. Think he wants to let the Brady/BB conversation languish? He wants to get a Team that can win now. He also shed himself of Nick C. and Osse which is a good start..

The possibilities are WITH RATINGS:
(INC)Sam Darnold if the Jets Draft Fields (but Jets will not trade him to the Pats)
(C) Gardner Minshew-Young. Charisma. With the Lawrennce pick, a possibility and a cost of only $850,000. Decent numbers on a bad Team.
(B+) Matt Ryan (35 doesn't bother BB but a hit of $23mm is a yikes). He and Carr are best "playoffs for pretty sure" choices. Could revitalize here. Falcons want to move on....Realistic trade?
(B) Carson Wentz-Young. A little screwed up right now but could be a costly at $25mm-$35mm pending timing. Most talented of this group? Eagles want to ail on his salary. Might not cost us higher picks.
(A-) Derek Carr- Young and productive and many Draft picks to get him. $19.6mm cost is about the going rate
(B-)Marcus Mariota-Not much charisma .We had eyes on him last year. About $10mm in cost (fair) and still young
(B) Jimmie G-Not much charisma but better than some. Still young. Knows our system. $25mm in cost plus many Draft picks
(C+)Mitchell Trubisky-FA Young-Streaky-Great game winning and come from behind record people are not aware of. Mobile. . Has tools Perhaps realistic cost of 2 years at $25mm (target of Broncos, Panthers and Falcons). Bears made a mistake on not signing a year five. Gave up on a 26 year old who's stats are fairly adjudicated as slightly over mediocre.....would he grow here? Not unless BB decides to get weapons around him.
(C) Kyle Allen-ERFA-Young -Productive Washington might not make him and offer. Broken ankle stopped his year in 2020. BB wanted him when with the Panthers. Cheap at $850,000.

Thoughts on ratings?
DW Toys

I'd rather see Stid start than Scam.
Not me. Stid clearly isnt even good enough to take Cam’s job last year or even beat freaking Hoyer for the backup job in August. Yikes. That’s frightening.

Id rather send both packing and find someone good right now or with potential to be really good soon.

I am with you
I want to jump on the stidham bandwagon as well .. I am hoping he feels extra motivated to come out with all guns blazing and performs better than cam.. wishful thinking.. who knows lightning could strike twice at us..

There is so much demand for qb that I feel it would be overvalued this year . It's better to use assets for playmakers outside of qb . Pats have always drafted well with picks below 23. So I am hoping they dont trade down and screw up the first rounder.

All that could go wrong went wrong last year. This year could be the opposite and things line up well . Maybe our tight ends turn a corner and stidham becomes a decent game manager like brissett. We can build the team and look to compete in 2022. Retool the defense and we are back in contention...

I want Lance but might have to trade up to get him. Don’t know if i like mac jones. Next year’s quarterback class has some high potential.

I want to jump on the stidham bandwagon as well .. I am hoping he feels extra motivated to come out with all guns blazing and performs better than cam.. wishful thinking.. who knows lightning could strike twice at us..

There is so much demand for qb that I feel it would be overvalued this year . It's better to use assets for playmakers outside of qb . Pats have always drafted well with picks below 23. So I am hoping they dont trade down and screw up the first rounder.

All that could go wrong went wrong last year. This year could be the opposite and things line up well . Maybe our tight ends turn a corner and stidham becomes a decent game manager like brissett. We can build the team and look to compete in 2022. Retool the defense and we are back in contention...
Stidham blows. Proven last year beyond a shadow of a doubt.

His NFL “career” ends for good when he is cut in August or September.

Last edited:
All signs point to the QB kid, Trey Lance.
Belichick didn't see value in drafting Jordan Love at 23 last year, so how do you get to the conclusion that he'll draft an FCS QB at 15?

Belichick didn't see value in drafting Jordan Love at 23 last year, so how do you get to the conclusion that he'll draft an FCS QB at 15?

outside of Lawrence and maybe fields, are any of the other qb’s in this class better than love, that Green Bay took last year?

Darnold and Wentz are ruined after starting too early. Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes all sat for at least a year or more before starting. Different players mature at different rates. This idea that a QB prospect has to start in Y1 or Y2 or he is a bust is not supported by history, but people still post that since Stidham didn't start in 2020 over Cam, he is a bust. Please, if you do not learn from history you are doomed to repeat it. If Stidham was not ready to start, BB would hold him back. Will Stid be ready in 2021 or 2022? Who knows, but to claim you know he is a bust because he did not start in 2020 is lunacy. BB starts a QB when he is ready, and is a lot more patient than talk radio or PatsFans posters. Stid was very good in the 2019 pre-season, so we have to wait and see how he develops. Remember in 2000 when everyone wanted Michael Bishop to start? BB was patiently waiting for Brady. He knew Bledsoe was limited, and proved that when he traded Bledsoe to the Bills, but still waited until Brady was ready. Who knows what BB is thinking now? No-one on this board for sure.

People on this board want Heinicke. He did not even make the final 53 when he was here with the Pats, Stidham made the final 53 twice. But BB and his staff have no idea what they are doing and Heinicke is the answer? Come on man.

Stidham will be on the 2021 final 53, BB said in December 2020, "At some point, he’ll (Stidham) get an opportunity to play with a good opportunity to prepare". So are we to believe that Stidham is a complete bust but BB anticipates him getting an opportunity to prepare and start? Who are we to believe, BB or talk radio or PatsFans posters? Come on man.

At some point, he’ll (Stidham) get an opportunity to play with a good opportunity to prepare"
I’m sure Pick Six Stidham will get an opportunity to play football. The CFL or the next XFL will always be looking for QBs so plenty of opportunities for him there. Anywhere but my team is fine by me.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back