PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why can't we draft receivers?

Seriously Pape, if you were buying a car from Urban Meyer would you take his word on it? Think about it, how many drive by’s took place in that thing?
I don't get the analogy Ivan

the guy who can provide insight into guys who played for him... why wouldn't you use that resource?

and why knock any coach for using that information in the decision making process?

boggles my mind, at any rate

the guy who can provide insight into guys who played for him... why wouldn't you use that resource?

and why knock any coach for using that information in the decision making process?

I’m saying that I would never buy a car from Urhan Meyers. Just sayin’

And Pape, I didn’t say they shouldn’t talk to their coaches, I said they should take what they say with a grain of salt, and pay attention to what they say about the kids who played against them. But ultimately trust your scouts over the coaches. IMO Belichick had a problem with this, he trusted what Urban Meyer told him, and even though he was really talented, his teammates knew he was a really bad guy almost instantly. And if I were Belichick, which I’m not, I would have felt like I was lied to by Meyers, either that or Belichick didn’t care that he was drafting a serial killer, which might actually be true.

And Pape, if you don’t think Meyers was loaning his car to his players for drive by’s then I just don’t know what to say. That may have been his biggest selling point to them when he was recruiting them. I mean who would pass up the opportunity to use the coaches whip to clear some corners? I know it would have gotten me to sign on the dotted line right there and then.

And Pape, if you don’t think Meyers was loaning his car to his players for drive by’s then I just don’t know what to say.
okay, you got me, drivebys are bad

As some have said, it's not relevant (we hope) anymore because this is a new set of decision makers. But, as with most things in the NFL and life, it has historically been a combination of many factors. Put them in whatever order you think is most appropriate:

1) Inability to evaluate who will fit the scheme consistently

2) Heavily intertwined with the above, a scheme that is both mentally taxing (even on veterans) and not commonly run in the college ranks, making it more difficult to scout (and a harsher college to NFL transition for the player).

3) Not hammering the position with consistent high picks, thus leaving success/failure to a handful of dice rolls.

4) A philosophy that makes it harder for young players to get snaps unless they're already better than a veteran (which has its perks for competitions sake, but makes player development in the long term a bit harder).

5) Bad luck (not my heaviest factor, but guys like Mitchell showing promise but never being healthy was a killer).
Not sure we have a new set of eyes/scouts though. Still wonder who went with Tyquan and JuJu who are not the type of WRs the Patriots typically went for. These could be Eliot Wolf / Groh picks. We don't know.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back