Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Win or lose the last 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Winning the next two games won't make the remaining players feel less like losers, it won't change the complexion of this season, it won't even be remembered this time next year.

Hitting on a high draft pick QB will be remembered and more impactful

I'd love to see a strong finish. I think there's a solid core to build on. I hope Bill is super-motivated to keep going and we have some momentum heading into next year. [I do think it kinda sorta carries over]
Agreed. Judon, gonzo, peppers, Dugger, barmore, Bentley, Tavai on defensively the team is in excellent shape.

Agreed. Judon, gonzo, peppers, Dugger, barmore, Bentley, Tavai on defensively the team is in excellent shape.
I even like some of the offense. Onwenu, Strange, Sow, Andrews, Stevenson, Douglass, Bourne, Henry. Guess I'm not in the "tear it down to the studs" camp.

The difference in draft position between finishing 4-13, 5-12 or 6-11 will be negligible, with 5-12 the likely outcome.
All three of your scenarios overlap where they could end up if they win both games, at #9. So your point is honestly dumb. The real comparison is between #3 and #9. There's a significant difference in value between those two draft positions (3 = 9 + 20).

Beyond that it all hinges on how other teams fare. Rooting for the likes of Carolina, Arizona and Washington to win improving New England's draft position is fine.
Agree, below are the teams we should root for so Pats can overtake Commanders at #3 position. I see most of those results likely or very likely except Bengals this week.

Of course, if Pats win out, it makes all of these results meaningless.

Screenshot_20231228_101409_Firefox.jpg

Rooting for Patriots losses is unconscionably bad mojo. Messing with the football gods is known to earn first-round busts, so beware what you wish for.

View attachment 55495

Next you'll say if we all pray, it'll make a difference? Like all of NE wasn't praying during those NYG SBs, lol.

Winning the next two games won't make the remaining players feel less like losers, it won't change the complexion of this season, it won't even be remembered this time next year.

Exactly. Even if Pats win out, they'll still be in the cellar of the AFC.

Or is this the dreaded moral victory thing that's been infesting this forum for the last 4 seasons.

Or maybe we'll hear calls for Bill to get COY because no other coach could get 6 dubs with this team. Lol

I even like some of the offense. Onwenu, Strange, Sow, Andrews, Stevenson, Douglass, Bourne, Henry. Guess I'm not in the "tear it down to the studs" camp.
I'll agree. I hope KB stays.. Sow, ownenu Douglas and rham are definitely part of going forward. Andrews has been great. But getting older and often injured plus over 30.. Henry I'd like him to resign as well.

I'm going to use some hyperbole to make a point here but how are you going to know you hit on these draft picks if you tank again next year at the first sign of trouble in favor of next year's draft position.

There's 2 games left which leaves opportunity for any number of players to prove themselves as something useful to this team next year.

I'm going to use some hyperbole to make a point here but how are you going to know you hit on these draft picks if you tank again next year at the first sign of trouble in favor of next year's draft position.

There's 2 games left which leaves opportunity for any number of players to prove themselves as something useful to this team next year.
Absolutely agree. I'm a firm believer that players only get better by playing. Have to be in real live game situations. If barmore rode the bench the last 2 seasons I don't think he'd be reaching his potential as one of the most disruptive players in the league. Look at Jennings, Tavai, white, Mack Wilson Sr. All these guys are coming into thier own because they are playing and able to have a feel for live game action and situations in a real game. The guys that has regressed is uche he isn't seeing as many snaps .

LOL... not you guys, but some threads here make me feel like "This is a must-lose game, bro!"

Absolutely agree. I'm a firm believer that players only get better by playing. Have to be in real live game situations. If barmore rode the bench the last 2 seasons I don't think he'd be reaching his potential as one of the most disruptive players in the league. Look at Jennings, Tavai, white, Mack Wilson Sr. All these guys are coming into thier own because they are playing and able to have a feel for live game action and situations in a real game. The guys that has regressed is uche he isn't seeing as many snaps .
Lol, aside from white (rookie), all those dudes are jags.

Historically whether they finish 4-13, 5-12 or 6-11 and what the corresponding pick is will have zero impact on the odds they hit on a QB.

Lol, aside from white (rookie), all those dudes are jags.
Right. But point I'm making is they are making plays and have carved out a role in the defense. When judon and Gonzo are back next season this defense has the potential to be down right nasty!

All three of your scenarios overlap where they could end up if they win both games, at #9. So your point is honestly dumb. The real comparison is between #3 and #9. There's a significant difference in value between those two draft positions (3 = 9 + 20).

Agree, below are the teams we should root for so Pats can overtake Commanders at #3 position. I see most of those results likely or very likely except Bengals this week.

Of course, if Pats win out, it makes all of these results meaningless.

View attachment 55496

Next you'll say if we all pray, it'll make a difference? Like all of NE wasn't praying during those NYG SBs, lol.

The standard Jimmy Johnson-style chart for assessing relative pick valuations:

Also, a BB perspective from four years ago:

Tanking is a fan delusion…players and coaches play to win 99% of the time.

They’re gonna try to win out and I’m ok with that. Let’s try to hurt Buffalo’s playoff seeding and…well…f@ck the J-E-T-E-S.

We’re not getting Williams or Maye so might as well let the chips fall where they may.

Let's deduce what Belichick might want - look at the unbounded delight he demonstrates when that long kick won the game and tanked our draft position. :)

More seriously, the players and Belichick himself all benefit personally with a good performance.

Let's deduce what Belichick might want - look at the unbounded delight he demonstrates when that long kick won the game and tanked our draft position. :)

More seriously, the players and Belichick himself all benefit personally with a good performance.

I don't see how you can deduce anything. He's on to the next play, albeit with only 2 seconds left. He's looking at who's on the field and how many seconds are left.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back