PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Off-Season Additions for the Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Can't wait to see what new offensive studs we bring in during the off-season versus other players who could be had for the same amount of money. Would not be surprised it they* do something stupid with Edelman's money and give it to someone else. Wonder if the players they bring in this off-season will be as (un)productive as these other guys below that the offense has brought in the past two years:

Danny Amendola
Greg Salas
Tim Tebow
Brandon Lloyd
Michael Hoomanawanui
Kenbrell Thompson
Aaron Dobson
Josh Boyce
Zach Sudfeld

One more bad year of off-season personnel moves on the offense, and it will start to show cracks. Brady already had a pretty off year this year by yardage and rating (and it wasn't on him).

*=notBelichick.

TE and offensive line. Rob "Bob Sanders" Gronkowski can't be counted on, so as someone else mentioned, prepare for the future like he's not part of it. Tired of the o-line coming up short. The 10 million dollar man gives up another brutal sack. Wendell sucks.

TE and offensive line. Rob "Bob Sanders" Gronkowski can't be counted on, so as someone else mentioned, prepare for the future like he's not part of it. Tired of the o-line coming up short. The 10 million dollar man gives up another brutal sack. Wendell sucks.

Gronk is a beast and I still have hope for him. The salary cap era is brutal though, the Pats cannot miss on offensive acquisitions this year or the offense will start to come apart even more than it did this year. No more ex-Rams or ex-Broncos connections please.

Gronk is a beast and I still have hope for him. The salary cap era is brutal though, the Pats cannot miss on offensive acquisitions this year or the offense will start to come apart even more than it did this year. No more ex-Rams or ex-Broncos connections please.

How bout Decker?? White receiver, drafted by McDaniels, match made in heaven right? ;)

Rob "Bob Sanders" Gronkowski can't be counted on

OK troll.

Except in 4 years Gronk has played in about as many games as Sanders did his whole 7 year career.

Also Gronk's injuries aren't because he comes up lame like most of Sanders injuries were, it's because sergio brown was a hardo on an extra point and Ward went low.

The issue with paying Edelman is that we now have money tied up in Amendola. We can pay them both but it would probably mean no money for an outside guy and so we'd have to rely on Dobson.

With the money for Amendola, Gronk and potentially Edelman that would be a lot of cash tied up in the middle of the field. That was one of the reasons we let Wes go.

A Center who can handle a very good tackle and not continually whiff on assignments.
A quality Tight End who can stay on the active roster longer than the time it take to suck a Gobstopper.
A quality Tight End who can stay out of correctional facilities.

I'd be happy with those three on O.

Getting a healthy Gronk back will be a big step in the right direction. Sign an impact WR such as Hakeem Nicks during the offseason and maybe draft a WR during the 1st or 2nd such as Benjamin from FSU. And Brady once again will have a boat load of pass catching options.

Hakeem Nicks anyone?

Don't see Edelman staying around. Someone will turn his head.

Nicks stock has dropped severely. Mind you that would be a lot of money on two injury prone WR's. Amendola has 1 season to turn into the next great slot receiver.

Don't think Connolly is here in 2014.

Kenny Britt? Looked to be an absolutely beast before he torn his ACL and MCL...since we've seen many off the field problems and seems to be a douche but if we want a big outside WR cheap maybe ?

Hakeem Nicks anyone?

Don't see Edelman staying around. Someone will turn his head.

Nicks stock has dropped severely. Mind you that would be a lot of money on two injury prone WR's. Amendola has 1 season to turn into the next great slot receiver.

Don't think Connolly is here in 2014.

Nicks had dang near 1,000 receiving yards this past season during a year in which Eli Manning struggled like a rookie QB. Getting Nicks during the offseason would be a steal for any team moving forward.

This will be like the 2007 offseason again. 06 Championship game showed the weakness of Belichick's approach with WR's.

The issue with paying Edelman is that we now have money tied up in Amendola. We can pay them both but it would probably mean no money for an outside guy and so we'd have to rely on Dobson.

With the money for Amendola, Gronk and potentially Edelman that would be a lot of cash tied up in the middle of the field. That was one of the reasons we let Wes go.

If the Pats can get production out of Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, or Harrison next season, then they can get away with paying for the inside receivers but not the outside ones. It's part of building a team. If you can get production for cheap at one position, it gives you more money to sign players at another one.

How bout Decker?? White receiver, drafted by McDaniels, match made in heaven right? ;)
Decker's a bad fit...too much verticle

Kenny Britt? Looked to be an absolutely beast before he torn his ACL and MCL...since we've seen many off the field problems and seems to be a douche but if we want a big outside WR cheap maybe ?
He was arguably the worst WR in the NFL this season. Do not want.

A Center who can handle a very good tackle and not continually whiff on assignments.
A quality Tight End who can stay on the active roster longer than the time it take to suck a Gobstopper.
A quality Tight End who can stay out of correctional facilities.

I'd be happy with those three on O.

Agreed.
I think this off-season, based on what the team does at tight end, will make a huge impact in terms of the overall offensive strategy and scheme.

Do they find another TE and keep the option of the lethal 2-TE attack again? Or, do they abandon the 2-TE attack and go get more guys who play the kind of spread offense that the current coordinator loves? There currently are no true outside WR's on this roster.

In terms of getting a center, I agree the O-line in general needs to get re-stocked a bit, but I think some of those interior sacks could have been stopped if they kept a RB back there to help protect Brady more.

Hakeem Nicks will be available. We might want to take a chance on Britt as well. We need a WR who can catch a curl.

Offensively, I like Decker more than I like Nicks (he turned me off with his play/demeanor this season) not to mention Nicks is talib like with his injuries (never seems to be 100% for a long stretch in time, always something nagging him and keeping him out of games. Decker gives Brady somebody who is a little better at winning off the LOS but I think that the Pats feel that they have someone like that in Dobson who Im high on going into next year.

We won't sniff Watkins but a guy Im even higher on for us would be Odell Beckham Jr. from LSU in the 2nd. Absolute game breaker and big game player. If we could go into next season with Beckham Edleman and Dobson as our 3 receivers seeing the most time and using guys like Dola/Thompkins/Boyce in 4 wide sets would be our best bet IMO. Also would like to see us upgrade Wendell and obviously we need another talented TE. Ebron is my top TE right now followed by ASJ but a guy like Jace Amaro is most likely to be around late in the 1st where we pick.

Offensively, I like Decker more than I like Nicks (he turned me off with his play/demeanor this season) not to mention Nicks is talib like with his injuries (never seems to be 100% for a long stretch in time, always something nagging him and keeping him out of games. Decker gives Brady somebody who is a little better at winning off the LOS but I think that the Pats feel that they have someone like that in Dobson who Im high on going into next year.

We won't sniff Watkins but a guy Im even higher on for us would be Odell Beckham Jr. from LSU in the 2nd. Absolute game breaker and big game player. If we could go into next season with Beckham Edleman and Dobson as our 3 receivers seeing the most time and using guys like Dola/Thompkins/Boyce in 4 wide sets would be our best bet IMO. Also would like to see us upgrade Wendell and obviously we need another talented TE. Ebron is my top TE right now followed by ASJ but a guy like Jace Amaro is most likely to be around late in the 1st where we pick.

We might have to trade up for Beckham.

Would you go draft, though, knowing that very few WR rookies produce immediately? Brady has a closing window on his career and they just spent a year developing all those other rookie receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back