2014 Pats Salary Cap Breakdown - DTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
As of now, the Patriots have eight defensive tackles (Vince Wilfork, Isaac Sopoaga, Tommy Kelly, Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Joe Vellano, Armond Armstead, and Marcus Forston) signed for the 2014 season. Their respective cap numbers are $11,600,000, $3,500,000, $2,656,250, $570,000, $495,000, $495,000, $495,000, and $495,000.

Vince Wilfork is signed through the 2014 season. He is due $8 million in cash ($7.5 million salary, 300K weight bonus, and a 200K offseason workout bonus). I just do not see Vince playing the 2014 season without redoing his current deal. I can see Vince and the Pats reaching one of two possible deals (a restructure of his deal that lowers his cap number by 4 to 6 million with Vince to earn $8 million in cash by reaching some NTLBE incentives (examples, Pro Bowl, Total defense - net yards, 46-man active per game roster bonues, average net yards allowed per rushing play) or an extension of his deal while converting a good portion of the $8 million into a signing bonus.

Isaac Sopoaga's last day with the Patriots will probably be February 3rd, the first day that teams can waive/release players for the 2014 season. When released, he will still count $1,000,000 against the 2014 cap as that is the amount of his fully guaranteed salary. Sopoaga's release will create $2,005,000 in cap space.

Like Wilfork, Kelly is signed through the 2014 season. He is due $2,156,250 in cash ($1.95 million salary, 156,250 roster bonus, and a 50K offseason workout bonus money). If the Pats decide that they need the cap space I see them releasing Kelly early in the 2014 League Year. If they do not, I see him staying with the Patriots (maybe at a one million salary).

Siliga is due to become a restricted free agent after the 2014 season. Vellano is due to become a restricted free agent after the 2015 season. Do not foresee any changes in their contracts in 2014.

As part of the new CBA there is a proven performance escalator for draft picks chosen in Round 3 through 7. Chris Jones is eligible for it in 2016 . An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a "cumulative average" of at least 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. Chris Jones played in 68% of the defensive snaps in 2013.

I have seen posts suggesting that the Patriots should try to make a run at the Ravens defensive tackle, Arthur Jones, Chandler's brother. My take is that if he is too expensive for the Ravens to retain then he will most likely be too expensive for the Patriots to sign.

Probably because his 2013 salary was fully guaranteed, Armstead was paid like a rookie in 2013 even though he spent the entire season on the Non-Football Injury List. Some NFI players have had their salaries greatly reduced. $225,000 of his 2014 $495,000 salary is fully guaranteed.

We have Jones, Vellano, Siliga, Armstead and Forston for chump change (think of Armstead and Forston replacing Sopoaga).

The veterans are due $12M in new money. There are lots of options for adding a DT or 2 to the above kiddie corps, but this is $12M the team will need to chose how to spend.

As of now, the Patriots have eight defensive tackles (Vince Wilfork, Isaac Sopoaga, Tommy Kelly, Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Joe Vellano, Armond Armstead, and Marcus Forston) signed for the 2014 season. Their respective cap numbers are $11,600,000, $3,500,000, $2,656,250, $570,000, $495,000, $495,000, $495,000, and $495,000.

Vince Wilfork is signed through the 2014 season. He is due $8 million in cash ($7.5 million salary, 300K weight bonus, and a 200K offseason workout bonus). I just do not see Vince playing the 2014 season without redoing his current deal. I can see Vince and the Pats reaching one of two possible deals (a restructure of his deal that lowers his cap number by 4 to 6 million with Vince to earn $8 million in cash by reaching some NTLBE incentives (examples, Pro Bowl, Total defense - net yards, 46-man active per game roster bonues, average net yards allowed per rushing play) or an extension of his deal while converting a good portion of the $8 million into a signing bonus.

Isaac Sopoaga's last day with the Patriots will probably be February 3rd, the first day that teams can waive/release players for the 2014 season. When released, he will still count $1,000,000 against the 2014 cap as that is the amount of his fully guaranteed salary. Sopoaga's release will create $2,005,000 in cap space.

Like Wilfork, Kelly is signed through the 2014 season. He is due $2,156,250 in cash ($1.95 million salary, 156,250 roster bonus, and a 50K offseason workout bonus money). If the Pats decide that they need the cap space I see them releasing Kelly early in the 2014 League Year. If they do not, I see him staying with the Patriots (maybe at a one million salary).

Siliga is due to become a restricted free agent after the 2014 season. Vellano is due to become a restricted free agent after the 2015 season. Do not foresee any changes in their contracts in 2014.

As part of the new CBA there is a proven performance escalator for draft picks chosen in Round 3 through 7. Chris Jones is eligible for it in 2016 . An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a "cumulative average" of at least 35% of his Club's offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. Chris Jones played in 68% of the defensive snaps in 2013.

I have seen posts suggesting that the Patriots should try to make a run at the Ravens defensive tackle, Arthur Jones, Chandler's brother. My take is that if he is too expensive for the Ravens to retain then he will most likely be too expensive for the Patriots to sign.

Probably because his 2013 salary was fully guaranteed, Armstead was paid like a rookie in 2013 even though he spent the entire season on the Non-Football Injury List. Some NFI players have had their salaries greatly reduced. $225,000 of his 2014 $495,000 salary is fully guaranteed.

I see Wilfork getting his money, but perhaps with some of it contingent on incentives. His snap count has been going UP in recent seasons, until this year's injury.

He's a proud man, but he's also a realist who knows that ***** happens, so I think he'll be emotionally able to deal with the Patriots protecting themselves against ***** happening. In particular, I think he'll be better able to accept that than a flatter declaration that his value has gone down.

As much as we all love Vince Wilfork the Patriots are not going to pay him $11 millon after coming off of that Achilles injury. He is either going to have to take a big cut or he is going to get cut by the patriots. Will he accept that? We don't know but we will just have to wait and see

As much as we all love Vince Wilfork the Patriots are not going to pay him $11 millon after coming off of that Achilles injury. He is either going to have to take a big cut or he is going to get cut by the patriots. Will he accept that? We don't know but we will just have to wait and see

I don't know. Wilfork has a lot of leverage at the moment. There is little behind him on the depth chart and even if the Pats draft a Nix or Hagerman in the first round, they are still unproven rookies.

I have been impressed with Jones and Silga, but I think they would do better as part of a rotation.

Kelly seemed to really like being a Patriot. If he decides to continue his career, I think he would be agreeable to a pay cut. With the emergence of Chris Jones, I think Kelly would come back as a situational pass rusher.

I am on the fence on whether Wilfork is back. I know Belichick really likes the guy and would be willing to work work a deal in an extension that would lower his cap number quite a bit with little risk going forward if Wilfork is done. The question is whether Big Vince is agreeable to it. One thing is for sure is he will not be playing in 2014 under his current contract.

If they let Big Vince go, they will need to replace him. They probably draft his replacement in the first two rounds this year even if they do. I do think if he comes back, his role will be reduced. I think he will be used more of a two down player and possibly at times on third down. Much like the Pats used Ted Washington in 2003.

The rest of the DTs are bargains. I can see Chris Jones holding his starting job while Vellano and Siliga will be rotational guys.

If Vince and Kelly come back next year and Armstead stays on and is healthy, the DT position can go from a weakness this year to a strength of this team. The big problem right now is the money allocated to the position. As Miguel points out, they can free up a lot of cap space in this position. The other problem is there may be too many bodies than roster spots.

i think they will find a way to re-sign vince to a 4 or 5 million cap hit and Kelly may or may not be back next year i don't think he will with the way Jones has played as for Armstead im not looking for much at all out of him if he makes the team i will be shocked

i think they will find a way to re-sign vince to a 4 or 5 million cap hit and Kelly may or may not be back next year i don't think he will with the way Jones has played as for Armstead im not looking for much at all out of him if he makes the team i will be shocked

His unamortized is 3.6M alone. That hits the cap no matter what. They'd have a hard time getting his cap hit down to 4 to 5 million.

I agree he has a lot of leverage. Even if he has to play on one foot, that's still worth 8M in new money.

I don't know. Wilfork has a lot of leverage at the moment. There is little behind him on the depth chart and even if the Pats draft a Nix or Hagerman in the first round, they are still unproven rookies.

I have been impressed with Jones and Silga, but I think they would do better as part of a rotation.

I am not sure how you can make that statement after watching the depth play all year?

Clearly none of the depth will reach the heights that Vince has but if they so chose to spend that money elsewhere there is depth for such a move.

I highly doubt they would cut both Vince and Kelly so one could serve as the vet leader while Siliga leads a young group of Jones, Vellano, Armstead, and if you went this route likely a high draft pick. In this route Vince saves you the money but you have to decide what Kelly even has left.

Fortunately Vince is in the last year of his deal which would make it beneficial for both to renegotiate and I find it hard to believe that this will not be what happens.

To me redo Vince and cut or redo Kelly and you should save at least 5 Mil.

What will really make this interesting is their opinion of Kelly as it compares to Vince. Lets assume they think Kelly still has a year or two left and can be close to Vince in skill his contract is so much cheaper it could make a tough choice.

I didn't realize that the Patriots assumed any cap hits since he was acquired in a trade. I assumed Philly took the hit.

VW is going to depend on what he looks like come April. If he's still looking like he did on the sidelines they might just cut him outright but I agree a restructure is the minimum.

What leverage? He's 32 (old for DT) coming off a major injury and owed $11 million, if he says he wont renegotiate then they cut him and he signs for a 1-year deal low price incentive based contract somewhere else

Awesome breakdown, just curious on how you see this allocation fro a historical perspective?

If Sopoaga is cut they have about $18~M towards DT out of about $125~M for the cap (roughly 14%). Wilfork accounts for the majority of this, a lot depends on his health, otherwise it looks fairly reasonable. Although the allocation is a little high based on the performance.

I didn't realize that the Patriots assumed any cap hits since he was acquired in a trade. I assumed Philly took the hit.

VW is going to depend on what he looks like come April. If he's still looking like he did on the sidelines they might just cut him outright but I agree a restructure is the minimum.
I also thought the hit would stay with Philly, but Miguel forgot more yesterday than I ever knew about these rules, so it must have something to do with guaranteed salary vs bonus.

I can see Chris Jones holding his starting job while Vellano and Siliga will be rotational guys.

If Vince and Kelly come back next year and Armstead stays on and is healthy, the DT position can go from a weakness this year to a strength of this team. The big problem right now is the money allocated to the position. As Miguel points out, they can free up a lot of cap space in this position. The other problem is there may be too many bodies than roster spots.

I highly doubt they would cut both Vince and Kelly so one could serve as the vet leader while Siliga leads a young group of Jones, Vellano, Armstead, and if you went this route likely a high draft pick. In this route Vince saves you the money but you have to decide what Kelly even has left.

What will really make this interesting is their opinion of Kelly as it compares to Vince. Lets assume they think Kelly still has a year or two left and can be close to Vince in skill his contract is so much cheaper it could make a tough choice.

So, what, the Pats are going with five or six DTs next year? With 70% of snaps in sub?

Cut defensive tackles Tommy Kelly, Isaac Sopoaga and utilize the $5 million in salary cap savings to re-sign cornerback Aqib Talib. Cutting safety Adrian Wilson provides an additional $1.167 million salary cap savings towards a new contract for Aqib Talib. Aqib Talib should be the New England Patriots highest priority in unrestricted free agency. Select a defensive tackle in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft to replace Kelly/Sopoaga.

We certainly don't need to decide how many DT's will make the final roster until the last cut of preseason. As of now, we have lots of kids and costly veterans with questions.

The question is NOT the kids. We will have a fine group competing, with Jones, Vellano, Siliga, Armstead and Forston. We may even draft another.

The OPEN question is how many (and which) of the 3 veterans should be cut if they won't agree to serious reductions in salary. Basically, there is a bumch of dead money that we will be responsible for in any case. The issue is the $12M of new money cap money that these three players will use if they are signed.

My guess is that Sopoaga will be released very early (as someone suggested). I haven't a clue what Wilfork or Kelly will be worth to the team. After all, Wilfork wasn't worth much this year when he played. Hopefully, one of the two will recover enough to start for us.

So, what, the Pats are going with five or six DTs next year? With 70% of snaps in sub?

Assuming that Wilfork is back (which is no guarantee, IMO), I think a rotation of Wilfork, Jones, Siliga, Kelly, and Armstead/Vellano is pretty good. I can also understand keeping a sixth, although between Chandler Jones' ability to move inside on third down and the possibility of running more 3-4 next year, my guess would be that the extra roster spot is used elsewhere.

I understand the appeal of cutting Kelly for a quick $2M in cash, but he was really good when he was healthy, and the cost of getting anything close to his healthy production would presumably be more than $2M. If they're serious about going that route, I'd think the team would be better off cutting Wilfork to save $8M than cutting Kelly to save a quarter as much. Wilfork's production is worth that $8M when healthy, but he wasn't healthy this year even before the achilles went out.

It's a bummer that Sopoaga is going to cost $1M against the cap after contributing nothing, especially if Kelly or Wilfork ends up being cut as a cap move.

Before anybody forgets about Armstead, remember that the offseason reports on Armstead were fantastic and that Belichick more recently called Armstead the team's #3 DT going into the season. If he's 100%, then he's making the team and contributing.

After all, Wilfork wasn't worth much this year when he played.

Rather have Talib + Edelperson than an old coming out of major injury Wilfork

Edelperson was vital for the offense, without him the Pats dont make the playoffs. They did without Wilfork.

I also thought the hit would stay with Philly, but Miguel forgot more yesterday than I ever knew about these rules, so it must have something to do with guaranteed salary vs bonus.

Same here. I make no claims about being a cap expert whatsoever so if he says it I'm not going to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes