PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Practice Squad (and visits & workouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ayers: 5093/182
4.69/40, 1.60/10yd ... 35 vert ... 123 long ... 4.35 shuttle ... 7.30 3-cone

Perhaps he plays faster than his testing numbers.

Yep there are guys like that Troy Brown comes to mind.

He was coming off a broken finger and it said to affect his testing numbers.

Those numbers were from his Pro-day, a month after the Combine (where his numbers were, indeed, worse). He didn't perform bench reps either day - understandable with a broken finger. But, ummm, how much could a broken finger affect his 40, his jumps, shuttle and 3-cone?

I found a interview where he said it really affected him.
He seems to be able to make people miss and can accelerate to top speed on a dime.
I think we are going to like this kid.

Yep there are guys like that Troy Brown comes to mind.

I wonder what Troy Brown's testing numbers were back in 1993, and how they compared to the testing numbers of defensive players back in the day as opposed to now.

Backups can be inactive.

In any case, one should be trying to understand WHY Belichick continues to choose to have Richards on the team.

This is another situations where fans (with much less information) strongly disagree with Belichick and Patricia.

Cutting Kilgo seems a bit odd, at least timing-wise. Unless the Pats snuck a 10th guy onto the PS while I wasn't paying attention, they didn't need to cut Kilgo to make a spot for DeMarcus Ayers.

BTW - Ayers may - or may not - be auditioning for a PR role on the 53-man. However, he does provide a relatively competent returner for ST coverage units to practice against before the KC game.

Actually called it re Kilgo yesterday. That said he might still come back, at least until Hamilton possibly returns to PS.

Id guess one spot has to be for CB, possibly QB; blocking TE would be nice but could depend what Lengel's status really is (he was released inj. and not listed at Patriots.com but wikipedia roster template keeps him on Pats IR..)

I have Foster, Karras, Grissom, Travis (and hopefully also D.Jones, C.Holister) as solid PS spots and the rest possible moving parts.. (with Ferentz in last years G.Gronk role as a new BB pet possibly coming on and off)

MT really liked Ayers and IMO he belongs on a 53 as a backup slot WR and possible PR. TBH in most years Ayers would have made Pitt's 53; he just got caught up in a numbers game at a very deep Steelers position.

He has professional-level quickness and improving hands. He is limited IMO to slot and PR (not KR) duties because he lacks long speed; if he makes it as your PR he is more likely to 'break' a 15- to 25- yard run and get caught than take it to the house. He is not going to take the top off of coverage, so he's unlikely to get any snaps outside. But his physical makeup seems tailor-made to a system like New England's that emphasizes quick separation in a short passing game.

A significant but largely overlooked issue with the Steelers last year was their WR depth beyond Brown and Eli Rogers in the slot. There's been a complete overhaul of that part of the roster: Wheaton (injured), Coates (traded), Hamilton (outright cut) and Ayers (cut/PS offered) have all been discarded, with Bryant, Smith-Schuster and Justin Hunter taking their places. There was just no room at the slot with Rogers and now Smith-Schuster (who is more versatile in that he can also play outside), and Pitt's philosphy (vertical) places a premium on gazelles who can run and jump, rather than short-area 'quicks' guys. On a team with a different philosophy, maybe Ayers beats out Hunter for the WR5 spot.

Personally I wish Ayers had stuck around; if ever there was a year for Pitt to keep 7 WRs, this was it, as there were arguably 9 or 10 guys who should be on game day rosters. At a minimum, Ayers could have solved our perennial problem of getting AB off of PR duties.

I think that Ferentz is on the PS to stay. He does indeed have lots of picture of Belichick.

Actually called it re Kilgo yesterday. That said he might still come back, at least until Hamilton possibly returns to PS.

Id guess one spot has to be for CB, possibly QB; blocking TE would be nice but could depend what Lengel's status really is (he was released inj. and not listed at Patriots.com but wikipedia roster template keeps him on Pats IR..)

I have Foster, Karras, Grissom, Travis (and hopefully also D.Jones, C.Holister) as solid PS spots and the rest possible moving parts.. (with Ferentz in last years G.Gronk role as a new BB pet possibly coming on and off)

To all Carr fans . I know this is highlights but this looks much more versatile and to the need.. plus some NFL experience

While Carr looked more in the line of Dola . this is closer to Jules..
could be quite a pickup

Last edited:
MT really liked Ayers and IMO he belongs on a 53 as a backup slot WR and possible PR. TBH in most years Ayers would have made Pitt's 53; he just got caught up in a numbers game at a very deep Steelers position.

He has professional-level quickness and improving hands. He is limited IMO to slot and PR (not KR) duties because he lacks long speed; if he makes it as your PR he is more likely to 'break' a 15- to 25- yard run and get caught than take it to the house. He is not going to take the top off of coverage, so he's unlikely to get any snaps outside. But his physical makeup seems tailor-made to a system like New England's that emphasizes quick separation in a short passing game.

A significant but largely overlooked issue with the Steelers last year was their WR depth beyond Brown and Eli Rogers in the slot. There's been a complete overhaul of that part of the roster: Wheaton (injured), Coates (traded), Hamilton (outright cut) and Ayers (cut/PS offered) have all been discarded, with Bryant, Smith-Schuster and Justin Hunter taking their places. There was just no room at the slot with Rogers and now Smith-Schuster (who is more versatile in that he can also play outside), and Pitt's philosphy (vertical) places a premium on gazelles who can run and jump, rather than short-area 'quicks' guys. On a team with a different philosophy, maybe Ayers beats out Hunter for the WR5 spot.

Personally I wish Ayers had stuck around; if ever there was a year for Pitt to keep 7 WRs, this was it, as there were arguably 9 or 10 guys who should be on game day rosters. At a minimum, Ayers could have solved our perennial problem of getting AB off of PR duties.

Thanks for the insights!

To all Carr fans . I know this is highlights but this looks much more versatile and to the need.. plus some NFL experience

While Carr looked more in the line of Dola . this is closer to Jules..
could be quite a pickup

Hands check athletic check
Hops check
Toughness check
Long speed nope

Might be awhile before we see Hamilton of Lengel again. Both cleared to IR, AFAIK, and haven't taken injury settlements yet.

But then, Reiss tweeted that Bolden is expected back for today's 12:30pm practice, so there are probably a few transactions that haven't hit the wire yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back