PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 8: Patriots fall 31-17 to the Dolphins

Immediate Postgame Reactions
One of my heroes is Thomas Sowell.
Smartest man in America.
If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today.

- Thomas Sowell

I was so angry with how that game progressed that I didn't even realize until i just heard it on 98.5, that Bill the coach took a knee with 25 seconds and three timeouts from his own 25 at the end of the first half.
Yes, I know Jones through a terrible interception, but this is just another example of this buffoon coach quitting on his team.

I was so angry with how that game progressed that I didn't even realize until i just heard it on 98.5, that Bill the coach took a knee with 25 seconds and three timeouts from his own 25 at the end of the first half.
Yes, I know Jones through a terrible interception, but this is just another example of this buffoon coach quitting on his team.
When he did it with TB12 in the last Tennessee playoff game it was absolutely ridiculous.

Please stop with the revisionist history. Without Brady Bill has 8 losing seasons out of ten and half of those came here.
And all of those were at the start of a rebuild with minimal assets.

Coaches don't turn pumpkins into princesses.

It's not denial so much as seeing how lousy most of the league is. I do agree that transcendent WR talent can cover a lot offensively too. I'm no big fan of Tua, and he is absolutely propped up by the weapons he has. Even good quarterbacks need a go-to guy, which is why Gronk was so important to Brady (and Edelman). So Belichick has to be aware of that.

But the overall roster is not nearly as bleak as Jones makes it appear (and the coaching, and the way the O-line has been)

Takeaway for me is that this team can compete sooner rather than later, but you need the QB (and the league is different now, the Penningtons of the world, who could have a bit of success back in the day, really can't now, defenses are too fast)
The O-line of Brown, Strange, Andrews, Sow, and Onwenu will be pretty damned good, actually. They've been hurt, rotating pieces and trying to figure it out. I don't think the OL will be as big an issue next year (IF they re-sign Onwenu as their RT and replace or re-sign Brown appropriately).

I still think Strange is a tackle. Big guys bull-rushing is his biggest weakness. He's fast and strong but not anchored like a typical IOL. If Strange kicked out to LT and Mafi took over LG next year, I still think their OL would be good.

And yes, part of the OL problem is Mac Jones. He can't see a blitz coming to (literally?) save his life, one of his many weaknesses.

He's still a winning coach. He's won with virtually everyone he had at QB

If you're talking Andy Reid he had Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, and Patrick Mahomes.

If you're talking George Seifert he had Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Let's be real, we'd rather take ANY of those guys on our team right now instead of "popgun arm" Mac Jones and the afterthought QB projects!

When you look back in history it becomes obvious that the great QB is just as important if not more so than the great Coach!

If you're talking Andy Reid he had Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, and Patrick Mahomes.

If you're talking George Seifert he had Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Let's be real, we'd rather take ANY of those guys on our team right now instead of "popgun arm" Mac Jones and the afterthought QB projects!

When you look back in history it becomes obvious that the great QB is just as important if not more so than the great Coach!
The whole oaoch is more important than the QB is a narrative which has been driven by media and dare i say a lot of it since BB and Brady came together.
Becaue for the initial years the mediots didnt give brady any credit - called him a system QB, said this team has no pro bowlers but they "dont make mistakes" etc etc. Attributed it all to BB because of his strong peronality. In the 2nd decade of the dynasty people begrudingly gave brady credit and now are saying he was everything.
Even BB says , players win games. ITs the media and fans who keep debating who is important. Good coaches need good QBs to win. Dont think there have been many instances otherwise. Bill walsh was 2-14 before montana.

These CB's minus Gonzo are not very good we have a bunch of overrated Back up CBs. JC Jackson will be out of the league soon he's not the same player who left here. Age is catching up to Jonathan Jones.

The problem is that thy don't have a Devon McCourty back there directing things. I know they sorta moved Dugger back there, but I've not seen him really directing the DBs the way that McCourty would.

Yeah, the last two weeks, Purdy has made very costly and stupid INTs that helped to cost the 49ers the game. Yesterday, he did it on two consecutive passes. He had two costly INTs last week. In fact, he has had 5 INTs on the season and they came in the last three games where Deebo Samuel has been out and McCaffrey has been injured.

The NFL today is simple, you need at least one of the two - an elite QB or surround your mediocre or average QB with top talent. The Dolphins, Eagles, and 49ers do the latter and have been successful at it. But once you lose that talent, those QBs turn back into pumpkins.

The two ints last weak were AFTER he was concussed.
The ints this week were partially because he wasn't over his concussion.

The problem is that thy don't have a Devon McCourty back there directing things. I know they sorta moved Dugger back there, but I've not seen him really directing the DBs the way that McCourty would.
They looked a lot better with Gonzo back there, a top CB can make a huge difference. Thery could have put him on Hill and doubled Waddle or vice versa yesterday.

Please stop with the revisionist history. Without Brady Bill has 8 losing seasons out of ten and half of those came here.
Ahh yes. The king of revisionist history saying others are revsionist. *SMH*

They looked a lot better with Gonzo back there, a top CB can make a huge difference. Thery could have put him on Hill and doubled Waddle or vice versa yesterday.

I didn't say otherwise. But Gonzo being there doesn't change Jack and Jon Jones doubling up a guy and leave Waddle wide open because they didn't know what their assignments were. I think that happened maybe once a year with McCourty back there..

Brown did him no favors yesterday. Makes you wonder.
I think the team needs to consider drafting a left tackle with their top 10 or hopefully top 5 pick.
Brown's supposedly playing hurt. Knee and foot. Was seen limping badly after the game.

Are there any franchise LT's to be had?

I'm ok with picking one if there are. The Greatest Show on Turf got started by the Rams picking Orlando Pace first overall. It starts there.

There are at least 2 in the draft. Unfortunately, our man @BaconGrundleCandy, has been swamped with RL and I haven't checked the Draft forum to see what others there might be.

Unless the Pats use a 2nd on Sweat or Young from Washington, I want them drafting bookend OTs.. They still don't have a swing tackle. Having a guy that would allow Onwenu back inside would be great, but not mandatory. Having that guy who can step in at LT or RT in the event of an injury is a must. Neither Lowe nor Anderson are those guys. Neither is McDermott. I don't know about Wheatley. What I do know is that they can't go another year with this s**t on the O-line. It won't matter who is back there for a QB, they won't have confidence in the line and they'll suck,.

This team is not one or two players away.

This team is a lot closer than you want to believe.

They're going into next season with 43 players under contract. They have 8 draft picks as it stands. That brings them to 51. They need a LT. They need a Swing Tackle. They need someone in the secondary who can command it like McCourty did. I don't know if they're asking Dugger to do that or not. I don't know if they're asking Phillips to do that or not. But it's not being done effectively.

If they bring back Jennings and Pharoah Brown, that will help. Adding someone like Derek Barnett would be great to the rotation with Jennings, Judon, Wise and White.

Thats not the point i am making. I am saying trading away dugger and uche and others isnt going to make us better next yr or two. Its better to sign some proven players then to get another 4th rounder for these just because we have to sell. Trading these players picks creates more holes which need to be filled. We dont have so much depth to trade these players.

Actually, trading Uche doesn't create that much of a hole since they have Jennings, Wise and White there. They also signed Bradley-King.
You want to wait until NEXT year to bring in someone when there are players available they could bring in NOW (Derek Barenett, Malone) that could help.

There are at least 2 in the draft. Unfortunately, our man @BaconGrundleCandy, has been swamped with RL and I haven't checked the Draft forum to see what others there might be.

Unless the Pats use a 2nd on Sweat or Young from Washington, I want them drafting bookend OTs.. They still don't have a swing tackle. Having a guy that would allow Onwenu back inside would be great, but not mandatory. Having that guy who can step in at LT or RT in the event of an injury is a must. Neither Lowe nor Anderson are those guys. Neither is McDermott. I don't know about Wheatley. What I do know is that they can't go another year with this s**t on the O-line. It won't matter who is back there for a QB, they won't have confidence in the line and they'll suck,.
Please identify the terrible starters we have on the OL.
LT Brown
LG Strange
OC Andrews
RG Sow/Mafi
OT Onwenu

Apparently, one player on you **** list is Brown, one of better LT's in the NFL. Surely, you would have him gone.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back