PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT 2024 NEP 3RD Overall Pick - DRAKE MAYE

I am tempering my enthusiasm as I've seen this movie before
A few years back the Pats drafted this highly touted rookie named Mac Jones and at the time I was ecstatic.(along with many Patriot fans).

They then proceeded to surround him with no receivers and an offensive line that looked like turnstiles. They gave him no real offensive co-ordinator nor the proper coaching. And now, he has been run out of town.

Lets hope they handle Drake Maye a lot more professionally and actually give him the coaching and offensive tools to succeed.

I watched every QB draft scouting report. I looked back at all their historical scouting reports on previous draft QB's. Only 3 guys seem to historically do a very good job. The best I've found is this guy. Also, one of the few, maybe only on that correctly had Bryce Young floor as career backup. The other 2 also had Maye rated #1 in this draft. Everyone else I looked at missed on their rating as much as they hit.
Before I saw this report, I basically had the exact same conclusion on my own, brilliant minds think alike! LOL

Gaffney wore 10.
Although Gaffney wasn't great by any stretch, he was decent. People on here shouldn't be concerned so much about the number (Maye has worn #10 since HS).

I love it, great pick and the most glaring need is filled.

What maye looks like today and what he looks like a year from now, are hopefully two very different quarterbacks.

1.) speed up the processing of coverage.
2.) fix the accuracy
3.) fix the footwork.
4.) teach him to look off coverage

Fix those 4 things and we got a decent qb for 2025
What?
He goes thru 2 and 3 reads regularly, where do you get he is slow, he more often goes thru the reads too quickly than too slowly.
He doesn't have accuracy issues, where do you get that from? Every advanced stat he has high accuracy, the tape shows high accuracy. It's just not true.

His footwork is not bad, his footwork is inconsistent, for every throw like the one BB highlighted his footwork there are 10 throws his footwork is excellent. He had a bad line, he had a strong arm, he let his footwork get away, sometimes, I don't think people understand that it is consistency of his footwork not that he has some natural flaw in his footwork that he always does on every play.

He looks off coverage in many, many plays on tape.

Nate Tice is a very good QB evaluator, he addresses much of this here:

From an interview with Eliot Wolf - the question was essentially "what did Ben McAdoo think of Maye?"

Wolf: Yeah, Ben really likes him. He thinks he's really talented, made of the right stuff, intelligent, tough. You know, maybe some footwork things to clean up here that they felt like they could work with, but he's excited as well.

Sounds like I am the only one that is not happy with the Drake Maye pick...

actually, not the only person, Maye himself wanted to go to the Giants
The Maye pick was pretty obvious.. after taking it all in.. I'm fine with the selection.. big arm, leader and has tremendous upside. We needed a QB and we got one. Now weaponize the offense. Get the LT today and add at WR.

They made the pick they needed to make. I'm tempering my expectations because of the Mac debacle and the fact that we don't know if this new coaching staff and philosophy are going to bear fruit.

Overall, I'm optimistic. It's a new new era in New England. We'll see how it plays out.

If Maye works out for the Patriots, they will have accomplished something no one else in the entire division has managed to do, and that's go very little time without a franchise QB.

In 1992 we took Drew Bledsoe #1 and since then, there has only been a 4 year period of complete dreck at QB. If Maye works out for the next 15 years, this franchise may -- possibly -- go half a century with their QB position manned by 3 great players, with just a very short interlude.

Meanwhile our division mates searched desperately for any talent, a couple of them for 25 years post Marino and Kelly, and one of them is still searching.

Excellent pick!! I think he’s got the highest ceiling of any qb in this draft. A legit dual threat. Could he bust? Sure, but swing for the home run. This is a Qb driven league.

I just hope they sit him year 1 while we build up the oline and weapons.

I watched every QB draft scouting report. I looked back at all their historical scouting reports on previous draft QB's. Only 3 guys seem to historically do a very good job. The best I've found is this guy. Also, one of the few, maybe only on that correctly had Bryce Young floor as career backup. The other 2 also had Maye rated #1 in this draft. Everyone else I looked at missed on their rating as much as they hit.
Before I saw this report, I basically had the exact same conclusion on my own, brilliant minds think alike! LOL

Wow that is a high evaluation there. He likes Maye not just better than Daniels and Williams, but he likes him better than Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow!

Interesting thought process and grading. Drake Maye certainly looks like he has a very high ceiling. The question is can the Patriots coach him up to fully unlock that potential and put the proper supporting players around him in the next few years.

I think one thing that’s important to remember is he’s going to make mistakes. The first time he throws a pick or makes a head-scratching decision, let’s not pile on the guy. He’s very young and probably won’t be in form until 25. All I want to see his rookie year if he plays is good decision making and flashes of what’s to come. Don’t expect an elite QB right out of the gate.

I think one thing that’s important to remember is he’s going to make mistakes. The first time he throws a pick or makes a head-scratching decision, let’s not pile on the guy. He’s very young and probably won’t be in form until 25. All I want to see his rookie year if he plays is good decision making and flashes of what’s to come. Don’t expect an elite QB right out of the gate.
I don't expect him to play at all this year unless Brissett gets hurt or in garbage time/mop up duty.

I don't expect him to play at all this year unless Brissett gets hurt or in garbage time/mop up duty.
It might not be a bad decision to let him sit. It gets him accustomed to the NFL and it gives us two drafts to build around him. I would let him play a preseason game though to give him a taste of NFL action but maybe that’s just me.

I do think that Maye's footwork problems are slightly overblown in a way. A lot of guys are labeled "boom or bust" from the standpoint of them being very good in college and it being a question mark of if their skills translate to the NFL, or if they can handle the pro game, etc. For Drake Maye, he's "boom or bust" because his game is quite literally boom or bust. He makes a huge play throwing a bomb down the field, or rushing for 20 yards, or throwing a left handed TD while being actively sacked on his right, and then makes a badly missed layup throw because his feet are messed up. It's amazing and then it's terrible. But there's no question that the good WILL translate to the pro game as well as the bad.

My point is - even if he doesn't fix his footwork, his floor is still a guy who will make huge plays for you. He will just also blow it sometimes. His ceiling is him completely fixing his mechanical issues and being the version of himself that does everything perfect on every single play which is probably a monster in the NFL. But if he ends up somewhere in the middle of those two points, that can still be a very very good quarterback. If his screw ups are lessened, even if they don't disappear entirely, and his huge plays increase due to that, you've still likely got a top 10 QB in the NFL. Then factor in the intangibles, toughness, athletic ability and prototypical size and it's quite the package.

Now this is the kind of QB prospect where if he starts slow you can say "But Josh Allen started slow"... not Mac Jones. Completely different QB.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back