PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 QB

Big red flag on the injuries—four straight years of season-ending injuries while at lowly Indiana—but last night was the introduction for many of the incandescent talent and winning ways of Mr Michael Penix.

He made throws all over the field with uncanny accuracy. Some of them neither of our QBs on the roster would be capable of.

He would be a huge upgrade at QB.

But with that giant red flag.
Penix Jr immediately takes us out of QB Purgatory we need a little luck in everything his injury history is worth the gamble imo.

Penix throws a nice tight spiral. Which
should work well in Foxboro. Million dollar question now. How high will he go?

Penix Jr immediately takes us out of QB Purgatory we need a little luck in everything his injury history is worth the gamble imo.
I don’t think the gamble is worth it at all. His offensive line won the Joe Moore award for best unit in college. How’s he going to do with this offensive line? This is probably one of the worst teams he could get drafted by. Is Onwenu gonna be able to make the transition to protect the blind side from the right? Is Joe Alt? The only one I can think of worth drafting outisde of Alt or Fashanu is Tyler Guyton who protected a lefty, albeit needs some work. Btw, there is only one left handed starting qb in the NFL right now. There’s a lot to think about before you gamble on this guy.

He's worth the gamble if he falls far enough, but I wouldn't touch him until the third round.

He's worth the gamble if he falls far enough, but I wouldn't touch him until the third round.
Have you seen his mechanics the throws this guy makes in College?? Penix is making NFL throws his accomplishments the last two years is very similar to Mahomes when he was in College. Yes his medicals could be an issue for some Teams but some Team is going to fall in love with him in the First Round.

Last edited:
I don’t think the gamble is worth it at all. His offensive line won the Joe Moore award for best unit in college. How’s he going to do with this offensive line? This is probably one of the worst teams he could get drafted by. Is Onwenu gonna be able to make the transition to protect the blind side from the right? Is Joe Alt? The only one I can think of worth drafting outisde of Alt or Fashanu is Tyler Guyton who protected a lefty, albeit needs some work. Btw, there is only one left handed starting qb in the NFL right now. There’s a lot to think about before you gamble on this guy.
That might be to Penix Jrs advantage hey Steve Young - Ken Stabler and Boomer Esiason were all Lefties.

You're conveniently leaving the fact that
he is superb moving in the pocket, ala vintage Brady. Also like Brady,he's cool as a cucumber,never gets rattled.
I don't think you've seen Penix play much.
I've seen him almost every game. I've also seen at least 4 games from Maye,Williams,Nix etc. Penix is head and shoulders better and more nfl ready than all 3 of them.
He totally outplayed Williams and Nix and beat them both.
Being a lefty is an advantage.

If Penix clears his medicals then he's a top 10 pick. If he doesn't he could well slide to the 6th or 7th round where he'd be a low risk grab even with the injuries. Failing that he might even end up a UDFA. It's a bit all or nothing i.e. I don't see him being a 3rd round kind of pick. He'll be early, late or not at all.

he is superb moving in the pocket, ala vintage Brady. Also like Brady,he's cool as a cucumber,never gets rattled.
I've seen him almost every game. I've also seen at least 4 games from Maye,Williams,Nix etc. Penix is head and shoulders better and more nfl ready than all 3 of them.

I agree with that. Remember 1. Double ACL on one knee guarantees arthritis, and 2. Penix's underneath balls are not great, Brady's were.

Hardly not an advantage. I’ve seen enough to know that you conveniently leave out his accuracy issues and the long stretch of football where his completion percentage was sub par while squeeking out wins.Totally outplayed Nix? 3 point wins is hardly totally outplaying your opponent. Did you watch those two games? I’ll take the accurate game manager every time. He has touch and can make all the throws coming into the NFL which is a huge plus. While Penix throws a great spiral long ball to Odunze and company. We’ve already seen this with Mac Jones and his receivers at Alabama and were all enamored with his performances. Take away the receivers and oline and what do you got at the NFL level?

Hardly not an advantage. I’ve seen enough to know that you conveniently leave out his accuracy issues and the long stretch of football where his completion percentage was sub par while squeeking out wins.Totally outplayed Nix? 3 point wins is hardly totally outplaying your opponent. Did you watch those two games? I’ll take the accurate game manager every time. He has touch and can make all the throws coming into the NFL which is a huge plus. While Penix throws a great spiral long ball to Odunze and company. We’ve already seen this with Mac Jones and his receivers at Alabama and were all enamored with his performances. Take away the receivers and oline and what do you got at the NFL level?

Plus Nix has two knees. Hard to play QB in the NFL on one knee.

Mix doesn't make all the throws.
Penix is the best pocket passer in college.
But what really stands out aee,all his Brady-like traits:
1. Cool under pressure- more so than any of the other top qbs
2. His accuracy is excellent
3. His ability to avoid pressure while staying in the pocket and scanning tge entire field is unmatched. Even Brady didn't do this well until his 4th season.Penix is better than Brady was in this area at this point in their careers.
4. He has a rocket for an arm.
5. Underneath throws? Why would you throw underneath much with wrs like his?
That is something that can be taught.
6. Toughness. The only other qb that's even close to him in toughness is Daniels
7. Total non- diva, unlike Williams
8. Natural leader
9. At his best in the biggest games. This can't be understated. This is how I judge all qbs. It's what separated Tom from Peyton.
The injury concerns are real but way overstated in this forum.
He's NOT bone on bone,lol. You can't play football or any competitive sport bone on bone. Lmfao. Lot of posters here don't know what they're talking about in this regard.
Hes had 2 outstanding full seasons since the injuries and has been totally healthy.
He's also primarily a pocket qb, although he can run.
Gronk,the NFL GOAT te, was a much bigger injury risk than Penix.
The biggest injury risk with Penux is longterm not short-term.
Arthritis could develop but that will take many years. So you get 10 Pro Bowl level years from him instead if 15, maybe. Id take that.

Plus Nix has two knees. Hard to play QB in the NFL on one knee.
That’s just one of the concerns. This guy is blowing up the draft charts with one big game against an unfamiliar opponent,but leaving out the other issues. Obviously he has big time talent based on his power plays per game. But why the inaccuracy almost over a 7 game stretch over mostly inferior opponents? You have the Joe Moore offensive line of college football, you have a top 3 wr and two very good ones. I don’t know how he does at the next level. We’ll find out.

Mix doesn't make all the throws.
Penix is the best pocket passer in college.
But what really stands out aee,all his Brady-like traits:
1. Cool under pressure- more so than any of the other top qbs
2. His accuracy is excellent
3. His ability to avoid pressure while staying in the pocket and scanning tge entire field is unmatched. Even Brady didn't do this well until his 4th season.Penix is better than Brady was in this area at this point in their careers.
4. He has a rocket for an arm.
5. Underneath throws? Why would you throw underneath much with wrs like his?
That is something that can be taught.
6. Toughness. The only other qb that's even close to him in toughness is Daniels
7. Total non- diva, unlike Williams
8. Natural leader
9. At his best in the biggest games. This can't be understated. This is how I judge all qbs. It's what separated Tom from Peyton.
The injury concerns are real but way overstated in this forum.
He's NOT bone on bone,lol. You can't play football or any competitive sport bone on bone. Lmfao. Lot of posters here don't know what they're talking about in this regard.
Hes had 2 outstanding full seasons since the injuries and has been totally healthy.
He's also primarily a pocket qb, although he can run.
Gronk,the NFL GOAT te, was a much bigger injury risk than Penix.
The biggest injury risk with Penux is longterm not short-term.
Arthritis could develop but that will take many years. So you get 10 Pro Bowl level years from him instead if 15, maybe. Id take that.
If he’s everything you believe him to be then he should be the first player off the board. I see both him and Nix as late first round talent that will be drafted earlier by QB needy teams. Team placement will be key for both of them as it is for most QB’s.

I think you are either underselling Maye and Williams and maybe even Daniels or overselling Penix. Nix looks like a bust so I'll give you that 1.

There was an 8 game stretch this year he only completed 60.1% of his passes. He has the top O line, 3 top receivers, and a great innovative coach. He played a ton of pitch and catch this year and still went 60% completion percentage over those 8 games. His Oline was the 3rd best in the nation at pass protection.

He will be 24 just after the draft, with multiple injury history. He's got arm talent but also has a very long wind up and that will give NFL DB's an extra split second.
He has a ton of arm talent in an offense where he has everything he can ask for. He makes some unbelievable throws with his arm but has inconsistent accuracy, an injury history, and a long windup which put him below Maye and Williams as a prospect.

If he’s everything you believe him to be then he should be the first player off the board. I see both him and Nix as late first round talent that will be drafted earlier by QB needy teams. Team placement will be key for both of them as it is for most QB’s.
All I know is what I see. Maye had been my top choice until he just had several really really bad games, especially vs. a very weak Clemson team.
And Williams has just sucked this year.
He has more risk than any of the top qbs in this draft imo.
I wasn't a big college fan until this year because the Pats need a qb. So I made it a point to watch as many games as possible with the top 5 or 6 qbs.
The #1 criteria when evaluating talent should always be performance.
There is NO question Penix outperformed every qb in college this year. And he played a tough schedule. Pac12 was easily the 3rd best overall conf.this year, wayahead of Big12 and Acc.
Ive seen Nix a bunch. I like him but I see limited passing talent there. Runs too much.
I don't want a running qb.
We don't know how nfl evaluators feel. We'll find out.
I put 0 credence in most draftniks I think most of them dont know squat.
And nfl guys do tend to be risk averse.
But if you never gamble a little,you never get a Gronk. Anybody coulda had him.
Belichick had the balls and wisdom to do it.

Penix’s arm strength is far superior to that of Jones. I’ve only seen a couple of his games, but he looks very accurate most of the time. And Brady mainly threw ropes all over the field, not soft touch passes.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back