PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 needs, all filled, and the whining continues

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Folks wanted our future QB, a WR and an OT. We did all three while making our 5th a 4th. For me, I couldn't have expected more, although my personal preference was a CB at 37 instead of a WR.
================================
The QB is who we wanted and who the staff wanted. They will be given plenty of time to develop him. He is our QB for 2024-2026. We will evaluate him and make a decision whether to pick up his 5th year option, as we did with Jones, and the either extend or him or try again in the 2027 draft. The Jones choice at 15 didn't work out. The major failure was the poor coaching. With better coaching, we likely would still have drafted a QB this year, and Jones would have the bridge instead of Brissette. We took our turn at the golden ring. Only one of the QB's worked out.

The WR was one of a dozen WR's rated as having 2nd round value. The staff knows him well and will make sure that he doesn't fail. His ceiling is obviously TBD. But he is very unlikely to be a Shuster, a Parker or a Thornton.

The OT is a disappointment in that many of us wanted us to get a Guyton or Mims. We were OK with using 68 to move up to get one of the two, or perhaps even Morgan. Apparently, Wolf tried, but it takes two, so we settled for getting a WR and a developmental OT. He could be a future starter at almost any one of the line positions, or he could be a top backup, or he could be dud who doesn't work out after 2-3 years of trying. However, I am fine with waiting after the top 8 were gone. We took an OT rated lower than others. However, we also have higher rated WR than if we had drafted an OT in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.

BOTTOM LINE
Wolf did what he needed to do. And he has a chance at two more solid picks early in the 4th (instead of one).

Polk seemed over drafted based on the mock boards, but I'm with OP. It's close enough in range that I'm not going to freak out because they liked him better than Adonai Mitchell or McConkey.

With Wallace at OT, I do get some vibe that they forced it. Feels like they might have specifically committed themselves to position by position how they wanted to draft with the top 3 picks based on need. Obviously at #3 that's ok because it's so high that you can evaluate the prospects. Even at #34, it's high enough that you have a good sense. By #68 though, it's hard to do that effectively IMO. Wolf even mentioned being influences by a run of OTs there. Ultimately they'll never tell us, but feels like a spot that they might have weighed need more heavily at than they did quality of player and I don't like that philosophy in the 3rd round.

They chose the right order according to how the draft went. Just high enough to get a tier 1 qb, check.

At the top of rd 2, all the ‘sure’ ot options were gone and the next tier are mostly projects, which didn’t start going until later in the round . Wr was the right move, and they achieved a trade up from rd5 to rd4 in the process. They had their choice between ladd, Mitchell, and polk. We’ll see if they chose right.

Wallace is a question mark but naturally your 3rd pick will be. Id have preferred a trade up for fisher or suama but we’ll see how that shakes out. Overall hard to be upset

Polk seemed over drafted based on the mock boards, but I'm with OP. It's close enough in range that I'm not going to freak out because they liked him better than Adonai Mitchell or McConkey.

With Wallace at OT, I do get some vibe that they forced it. Feels like they might have specifically committed themselves to position by position how they wanted to draft with the top 3 picks based on need. Obviously at #3 that's ok because it's so high that you can evaluate the prospects. Even at #34, it's high enough that you have a good sense. By #68 though, it's hard to do that effectively IMO. Wolf even mentioned being influences by a run of OTs there. Ultimately they'll never tell us, but feels like a spot that they might have weighed need more heavily at than they did quality of player and I don't like that philosophy in the 3rd round.
A lot of pre draft chatter noted Polk as a fast riser and even possibly a 1st rounder.

It's not the position people are complaining about. It's the possible "value" of these players or "possible" lack of motivation by Pats brass to move up to take higher rated players at both of those spots. We saw how the draft board fell and we know who those players were. Yes we have other holes as well but we should have tried harder to use our resources to get better value. I know we won't know until the season starts in what we have but I had other preferences, including moving up to take Payton Wilson. He's a big gamble but it's Brian Urlacher-lite payoff if he stays healthy.

Folks wanted our future QB, a WR and an OT. We did all three while making our 5th a 4th. For me, I couldn't have expected more, although my personal preference was a CB at 37 instead of a WR.
The QB is who we wanted and who the staff wanted. They will be given plenty of time to develop him. He is our QB for 2024-2026. We will evaluate him and make a decision whether to pick up his 5th year option, as we did with Jones, and the either extend or him or try again in the 2027 draft. The Jones choice at 15 didn't work out. The major failure was the poor coaching. With better coaching, we likely would still have drafted a QB this year, and Jones would have the bridge instead of Brissette. We took our turn at the golden ring. Only one of the QB's worked out.

The WR was one of a dozen WR's rated as having 2nd round value. The staff knows him well and will make sure that he doesn't fail. His ceiling is obviously TBD. But he is very unlikely to be a Shuster, a Parker or a Thornton.

The OT is a disappointment in that many of us wanted us to get a Guyton or Mims. We were OK with using 68 to move up to get one of the two, or perhaps even Morgan. Apparently, Wolf tried, but it takes two, so we settled for getting a WR and a developmental OT. He could be a future starter at almost any one of the line positions, or he could be a top backup, or he could be dud who doesn't work out after 2-3 years of trying. However, I am fine with waiting after the top 8 were gone. We took an OT rated lower than others. However, we also have higher rated WR than if we had drafted an OT in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd.

BOTTOM LINE
Wolf did what he needed to do. And he has a chance at two more solid picks early in the 4th (instead of one).

WHERE THE **** IS OUR ****ING LEFT ****ING TACKLE?!?!?

And Adorable Adrian Adonai Mitchell is >>>>> Jalynn Polk.

D for the Polk pick

D ****ing Minus for the Wallace pick.

BOTTOM LINE

The #1 need was (over the last many years now) solid, above average, consistent, preferably tone-setting LT.
They had every (and rare) opportunity last year in FA and this year in both FA (incl trade) & especially Draft (rarely deep LT class).
Now its back to LT neverending tryout season.

Without knowing how the particular prospects will turn out - the offseason continues in the same manner - just going conservatively with the flow. No strategy, no charisma, no ideas.. Then again, what could you expect from the minions.
Thinking that BB leftover crew would work better without him was another level of copium.

As long as everyone/everything is nicer and the media can finally join in the big happy franchise hug..

-.-

Complainers want magic.
There's clear proof that the draft is as much about volume as it is about pick order.
They got a WR and OT that they saw as undervalued in pre draft evaluations.

If Maye pans out - massive success. If he doesn’t, and a reset in 3-4 years is required, the other players can be winners and it’ll still be a sad draft.

The QB will determine 2024. I hope he’s up to it.

They chose the right order according to how the draft went.
Odd statement considering the unprecedented run on OTs this draft. That’s why I wanted Patrick Paul, a first round talent physically, athletically, and temperamentally, in the second round.

Receivers are easier to grab mid rounds.

I do love Ja’Lynn Polk. But a pick too early?

The OL isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. Multiple options are available at tackle that weren’t next year, and the interior is fine.

It won’t be great, but it’s not going to be a turnstile either. Mac’s clumsy ass made it look much worse last year.

BOTTOM LINE

Bottom line won't be known for months if not years, till we see if Maye was worth #3 or not.

Otherwise the story will be:

According to Breer, the Patriots rejected trade offers for #3 from the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings.
Breer: "“Earlier this week, Minnesota offered the Nos. 11 and 23 picks, and its 2025 first-rounder, with pick swaps favoring the Vikings as part of the proposal; and that offer ticked up with New England on the clock,”
If this is true, and I don't doubt it, then the Patriots whiffed on a chance for a major upgrade. Queue the second guessing, but with the Vikings picks the Patriots could have taken OT Fashanu and WR Brian Thomas/Xavier Worthy...or various other combinations including a QB....plus an extra first round next year. Yikes; that would have been an instant upgrade.
Drake Maye better be the Second Coming or else this pick will haunt them for years.

Ref: Patriots rejected two major trade offers?

If Maye is a hit Wolf will be praised, if he is not he will be savaged.

Personally I'm really happy that they went with Maye at #3 regardless of how he works out because it was the right pick for this team at this time.

Hindsight as always will be 20/20.

[Where’s our LT?] Probably just finished playing spring ball at LSU, Texas or Alabama.
LSU.

Will Campbell. Will phucking Campbell.

Better than Alt. Right now.

Ready for Calvin Anderson or VLowe or Chuks Okorafor as your LT?

We’re still going to be in rebuilding mode for another season.

How hard did they try, on a scale of 1-10? How much harder should they have tried?
Sure, leave out the part where I said "possible" lack of motivation in trying to move up. No need to school people on "it takes two to tango" but when other teams move up constantly to select a targeted player it makes one wonder about "lack of motivation" so go wave your pom poms elsewhere.

It was impossible to get a stud QB, WR and OT in the same draft. Anyone who expected that was fooling themselves. The mistake was not pushing the boat out more in free agency - if we had secured Ridley or one of the OTs, we would have been free to draft for value rather than zone in on needs.

The draft after Maye has been fine. Nothing that makes you think that we're on a fast track re-build but equally no head scratchers either.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back