PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFCCG Memory Lane: vs SD Chargers in 07/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I was re-watching some of the 2007 AFC Championship Game against the San Diego Chargers. I know, I know, many of us probably have erased this game from our memories because it precedes the game that shall not be named.

Anyways, some interesting tidbits.

I'm sure we all remember the Chargers coming in with major injuries. LT only played a couple of plays or so and was on the bench for the rest of the game....not only a non factor but took up an active player spot. As for Rivers, the dude was playing with an ACL tear or something crazy like that. So with our historic year (undefeated, record setting offense) we probably figured it would be one of our easier wins.

Guess what.........the score was 14-12 (in Pats favor) heading into the fourth quarter.
The Pats scored on their first possession of the first quarter to make it a two score game at 21-14.

Here's the unbelievable part.....they stopped the Chargers on their next drive and took possession of the ball with 9:12 left on the clock.

The Pats went on an epic drive that KILLED THE CLOCK and ended the game (yes, after taking possession with 9:12 left in the game). Amazing!

Wow, I had forgotten about that.

Here's the unbelievable part.....they stopped the Chargers on their next drive and took possession of the ball with 9:12 left on the clock.

The Pats went on an epic drive that KILLED THE CLOCK and ended the game (yes, after taking possession with 9:12 left in the game). Amazing!

I'm so disappointed in what happened in SB 42. Why...for the love of Gawd, did we not utilize the running game more?!?!? WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!! :mad::mad:

:(

I actually just created a thread on this. Looking back, I think it's possible a healthy LT and Rivers beat the Patriots. We did not play great that day.

I'm so disappointed in what happened in SB 42. Why...for the love of Gawd, did we not utilize the running game more?!?!? WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!! :mad::mad:

Because Maroney was a bum. The strength was passing. Unfortunately the Giants had the team capable of stopping Brady.

Because Maroney was a bum. The strength was passing. Unfortunately the Giants had the team capable of stopping Brady.
Maroney ran all over Jags and Chargers.

That bum ran for back-to-back 122 yard games against Jacksonville in the Divisionals and San Diego in the AFCCG.

That bum ran for back-to-back 122 yard games against Jacksonville in the Divisionals and San Diego in the AFCCG.
Still a bum though and waste of a 1st.

I know. There were some very odd coaching decisions that night. The time they went for it on 4th down still bothers me. Moss was invisible those playoffs. That is the main reason they lost.

Steelers are coming in a few injured/sick players. I hope this game doesn't play out like 2007 AFFCG and then to SB ... ;)

I wouldn't classify him as as waste. We definitely got some use and production out of him. No, he wasn't the Pro Bowler we were hoping.

I just went through the list of first round picks the Pats have made since 2000 and I suppose that helps your cause. I figure only Merriweather and Easley were worse picks.

Tom Brady absolutely sucked in the AFC title game vs SD. threw 3 picks, including one at liike the SD 5 yard line - Maroney and the D is the reason they won that game...

Overall he was a bum for a first rounder.

That game was Lawrence Maroney's best game as a Patriot. Brady had a mega off day that day.

Wow, I had forgotten about that.

I have always felt that was one time the patriots were able to run the ball when everyone expected them to run the ball.
LoMo had his best 10 minute stretch as a Patriot.

BTW- TB12 threw 3 picks that game, if I recall.

That game was Lawrence Maroney's best game as a Patriot. Brady had a mega off day that day.

TB12 threw 6 picks in 2 playoff games vs San Diego in January 2007 and 2008.

Wow, the OP of this thread just read my mind! I swear I was just looking at Maroney's and Brady's game-log stats for that 2007 season; with this AFCCG vs San Diego in mind.

Just my opinion, but I really think McDaniels made an effort to focus on the run (and show less 5 wide formations, even when passing) because of how the offense looked in the final games of the season against the Jets and the Dolphins. I think we all remember the over-the-top media speculation about a "blueprint" for stopping the Patriots offense after the games vs Philly and Baltimore...but despite the media hyperbole, I really think there was some legit truth to idea that defenses were learning and adapting to the style of the Pats offense (particularly how Moss was being defended), and McDaniels understandably wanted to mix it up and not let the opposition key-in on any tendencies. I think he, understandably, wanted to avoid a situation where Brady would have to dink-n-dunk the ball 50+ times in order to win a close game.

I remember seeing those more of those traditional run-oriented formations, and feeling like I thought it was a perfectly reasonable approach; but I wasn't thrilled with the end-result. I was hoping the run would open up the deep pass to get Moss involved a bit more, but I never felt like it really did. That, and even the dink-n-dunk passing attack wasn't getting the same momentum once they focused on the run to that extent.

Of course, it's just my two cents. But I felt like the 07 Patriots had their pass-oriented personnel, and their run-oriented personnel...but one came at the expense of the other, and they had a tough time getting both going at the same time. I really think its a big reason why Belichick went on to emphasize the two-TE approach and find guys who can block and catch.

Tom Brady absolutely sucked in the AFC title game vs SD. threw 3 picks, including one at liike the SD 5 yard line - Maroney and the D is the reason they won that game...

Obviously yes, but his career as a whole was a waste. 1st round pick never over 1000 yards in a season, career lasted 4 years w team 5 total. you expect more from a first

Do you think the Pats would ever go after a real elite RB in a draft or through free agency/trade? Like we had with Corey Dillon those couple years? With the exception of Dillon, Brady's never had a big-time pro bowl RB to play with. A lot of decent ones, Blount being one of the better, but I'm guessing it's a position that BB doesn't think a superstar is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST