PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Brown Just Unfollowed Eagles, Followed 2 Patriots Players on Instagram

Preface by saying it won’t happen, I know it won’t happen and I’m not expecting it to happen:

But imagine they made the trade for Minnesota and got Jefferson and also Brown, talk about taking a putrid offense and making it world class overnight
Imagine that. Would be exorbitantly expensive though. I guess you could manage it with a rookie QB, but you wouldn’t really have that guy if you traded down with Minnesota.

Would absolutely trade #34 and more while giving him a massive contract. He’s elite, if you won’t break the bank for him who would you do it for?

We aren’t getting him for future second and third rounders either. You’ve gotta give up some valuable assets to get a great player.

And maybe…maybe hit on him.

And much more likely, he won’t be nearly as good as Brown.
What is the point of hiring Wolfie and Groh?

Will QB be a BUST too?

Brown has no more guaranteed money left on his contract after this season. Unfollowing your team is the modern version of contract negotiations, real passive aggressive nonsense… but it is what it is.

They aren’t cap rich but they’re also not in debt, they can afford to extend him if they want to and probably will.

It's something to consider for sure, but that Eagles team had something real fishy going on last year. Starting what? 10-1, then fell off a cliff, to the point there was talk the coach could be fired. How much of that was smoke and how much was fire, not sure, but the wheels came off for a reason. Combine that with a contract dispute (that the Patriots have the cap space to solve), and I could see him being happy here.

That said, these kind of twitter follows/unfollows usually turn out to be a big fat nothing burger.
I think Philly started heading down the crapper when Patricia took over the defense.

Would absolutely trade #34 and more while giving him a massive contract. He’s elite, if you won’t break the bank for him who would you do it for?

We aren’t getting him for future second and third rounders either. You’ve gotta give up some valuable assets to get a great player.
If he were a free agent I would pay him, but he isn’t. You have to trade for him first, and the Eagles will want serious compensation.

Trading high draft picks for a player then paying him is bad business. You’ve paid twice for the same player.

Draft a WR instead, draft three… bring in some UDFA’s as well.

I think Philly started heading down the crapper when Patricia took over the defense.
They started going down the crapper when both coordinators and some key free agents left after the season before last.

The Eagles defense was already in the crapper last season when Patricia replaced defensive coordinator Sean Desai. We can’t blame BB for the Eagles problems.

They started going down the crapper when both coordinators and some key free agents left after the season before last.

The Eagles defense was already in the crapper last season when Patricia replaced defensive coordinator Sean Desai. We can’t blame BB for the Eagles problems.
You have BB on the brain. Let it go. He's gone, just like Brady.

Patricia didn't make anything better, but they didn't just randomly make that switch because the defense was super awesome to that point. They also went from 28.2 points per game on offense in that 10-1 start, to 20 ppg in the final six, so the offense tanked too. We can't just keep blaming Patricia for everything like he's some kind of boogeyman.

I count 3, but one, QB, is absolutely critical, and another, high-end WR, hard to come by, and another, LT, tough to find.

And all three are really expensive.
3 is kinda optomistic i think... I count multiple needs for this team... not all have to be addressed in the draft, but the lack of activity in this years free agency period puts that much more pressure on the need to hit big in the draft...

QB
LT
WR (multiple?)
CB
3d RB
RB
K
DE/Edge
TE
ILB

I would consider that the guard position *might* need to be shored up, but am willing to see how that plays out in the coming off season... If Onwenu stays at RT, and Sow continues an upwards trajectory, it works I think... Rookie LT - Strange - Andrews - Sow - Onwenu, not a dominant line, but a decent one... McDermott & Anderson as swing tackles, hope Jake Andrews improves to the point where he can replace David Andrews, & I'm good with that at this point... So I only added the LT spot on the list...

If he were a free agent I would pay him, but he isn’t. You have to trade for him first, and the Eagles will want serious compensation.

Trading high draft picks for a player then paying him is bad business. You’ve paid twice for the same player.

Draft a WR instead, draft three… bring in some UDFA’s as well.
This is what I’m saying. The Pats and by extension many of the fans are so risk averse to give up assets to make a splash for an elite player at a position of major need.

Our Wr drafting his garbage, has been for a long time. Do what you’ve gotta do to get known talent.

You have BB on the brain. Let it go. He's gone, just like Brady.
world of warcraft legion GIF

This is what I’m saying. The Pats and by extension many of the fans are so risk averse to give up assets to make a splash for an elite player at a position of major need.
“Risk” has nothing to do with engaging in bad business practices.
Our Wr drafting his garbage, has been for a long time. Do what you’ve gotta do to get known talent.
There’s a whole new front office and regime in place… how can they be bad at drafting WR’s when this is their first draft?

3 is kinda optomistic i think... I count multiple needs for this team... not all have to be addressed in the draft, but the lack of activity in this years free agency period puts that much more pressure on the need to hit big in the draft...

QB
LT
WR (multiple?)
CB
3d RB
RB
K
DE/Edge
TE
ILB

I would consider that the guard position *might* need to be shored up, but am willing to see how that plays out in the coming off season... If Onwenu stays at RT, and Sow continues an upwards trajectory, it works I think... Rookie LT - Strange - Andrews - Sow - Onwenu, not a dominant line, but a decent one... McDermott & Anderson as swing tackles, hope Jake Andrews improves to the point where he can replace David Andrews, & I'm good with that at this point... So I only added the LT spot on the list...

Yeah, it's more than three, but I think if they were to solve (meaning just getting a guy who belongs in the spot) a QB, WR, and LT, I think their other holes are more in line with what every team has to contend with. Now that doesn't mean they're suddenly as GOOD as most other teams, because those are three big positions and they're likely to be rookies, but if our big holes are ILB and a 3rd boundary corner, I'd say most teams have something equivalent to that.

I'm not sure I agree that TE is a hole, so much as they need depth bodies there. That kind of thing can be sorted out without premium assets. They already have Henry and Hooper.

I'd also say kicker, while in need of an upgrade, is another one where I'd expect a low level signing after the draft. Either an UDFA or a journeyman vet to compete with Ryland (who's a total crapshoot at this point).
Also, our 3d RB is Gibson now. Though I agree they need another back to spell Stevenson.

Again, nothing real big, other than QB, LT, WR, which obviously are huge holes and not a gimme to fix in one draft by any stretch.

We shoulda drafted him years ago....
To me drafting Harry instead of Brown was the the event that was ultimately BB's undoing with the Pats. Harry being so bad alienated Brady and led to the Sanu trade and other desperate decisions that helped create a cap space mess and push TB12 out the door. If AJ had been the choice, success on the field would have gone a long way towards Brady wanting to finish his career in NE. Brady may still have left for other reasons, the decision to leave would have been much harder if the Pats were still competitive.

Because BB went against the advice of the scouts he lost a lot of credibility and started the discussion that the game had passed him by. When he doubled down with the obviously bad plan to make MP the OC, his credibility was gone and he needed to go.

To me drafting Harry instead of Brown was the the event that was ultimately BB's undoing with the Pats. Harry being so bad alienated Brady and led to the Sanu trade and other desperate decisions that helped create a cap space mess and push TB12 out the door. If AJ had been the choice, success on the field would have gone a long way towards Brady wanting to finish his career in NE. Brady may still have left for other reasons, the decision to leave would have been much harder if the Pats were still competitive.

Because BB went against the advice of the scouts he lost a lot of credibility and started the discussion that the game had passed him by. When he doubled down with the obviously bad plan to make MP the OC, his credibility was gone and he needed to go.
Brady still would have left, the 2020 team still would have needed rebuilding, the collaboration station still would have taken Mac Jones and he would still suck.

QB
LT
WR (multiple?)
CB
3d RB
RB
K
DE/Edge
TE
ILB

Add Tristan Wirfs, AJ Broen, one of Herbert/Allen/Burrows to this Pats team.

Looks competitive as hell to me.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back