PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola signed - 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this certainly should save the Pats some cap space over the next couple of years. welker is 6 mil per season, and I bet Amendola is around 3 mil average for the same two years. 10 mil gaurenteed over a 5 year deal is good. Gives the Pats a good out if he does keep getting hurt.

Right. The $31 million number is not the important one. It will be interesting to see how the $10 million gets distributed, but even assuming it's all signing bonus, this would likely mean about $3 to $4 million this year in cap hit. So, the Patriots save about $4 million in cap hit over the next two years and the guarantee is low enough that he can be cut after 3 years without much problem.

I am very disappointed about Welker. If I had heard this morning he had been resigned for 2/12, I would be over the moon. But I guess the silver lining here is that they got a replacement who gives them a bit more money to pay for defense and other FAs.

Now we have two major components of the offense who are injury prone, unfortunately.

Any way, here's my best guess at his cap profile. Just guessing.

Signing Bonus $6 million. 2013 salary guarantee. Some sort of injury protection bonus after 2013, maybe.

2013: $2 million salary, $1.2m signing: $3.2m cap hit
2014: $2 million salary, $1.2m signing + 500k misc.: $3.7m cap hit
$5.1 million dead
2015: $4.5 million salary, 1.2m signing + 500k misc: $6.2m cap hit
$3.4 million dead
2016: $7.25 million salary, 1.2m signing + 500k misc: $8.95m cap hit
2017: $7.25 million salary, 1.2m signing + 500k misch: $8.95m cap hit

They paid more for Amendola than they offered to Welker, so this has nothing to do with money for the defense.

You know better than that. The cap hits in the first 2 years for Amendola will certainly be less than 12 mill, so of course there is more money to spend.

Not unreasonable to wonder how much McDaniels factored into letting WW go. He gave WWs snaps to AH and JE before they got hurt and Lloyd was brought in likely because of his recommendation.

McDaniels may have been chirping in BBs ear about Amendola > Welker.

Eh. McD's role is overstated. This is all BB, and it fits perfectly in his MO.

Seems like the pats are giving Mcdaniels free reign on building the offense. Don't understand why. He did not do a great job with the Broncos or the rams.

Also I don't understand WTF is going on. They let a player walk who knew the offense and is durable for a player who does not know the offense and is not durable.

So right now their three core passing attack players, Hernandez, Gronk and Amendola all injury prone players likely to miss several games due to injury.

Its probably similar to Welker, it depends on who else they can get.
It appears that if Amendola wasn't signed, they probably would have matched Welkers offer. The order of events doesn't really mean the order of decisions.

I was referring to the McDaniels influence. Josh wanted Lloyd here, and apparently he wanted Amendola too. I'm just thinking that it might be possible that Josh asks BB to keep him. He didn't completely SUCK. He just didn't live up to the hype in my opinion.

Terrible moves made today. A new low for this front office.

actually it's a great move that Belichick does not take your advice. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or maybe they just feel a 27 year old WR is more valuable than a 32 year old WR over the next 5 years.

I honestly don't know if this is going to be a good trade off or not. We will know in the long run.

I cerrtainly am not in the camp of the posters who are yelling "good riddance, Welker, thanks for dropping those passes" That is ridiculous.

It's a crap pair of moves by a front office which deserves to be eviscerated for it. Sadly, that won't happen around here, because "3 Super Bowls" still serves as insulation all these years later.

They paid more for Amendola than they offered to Welker, so this has nothing to do with money for the defense.

I know that. I am surprised that they continue to invest that much cash in that "position" if we can call it a position. Maybe they feel DA is more versatile. I think JE at 2.5 per year (which I think might have been doable) would have been sufficient.

But when I saw it was 12 for 2 I was shocked they diddnt match. But BB must know what he is doing. I,you, all of us can armchair it all day but they must feel its better for the team.

You didn't get the poster's point.

If they have to rely on just one WR that much, their plans failed.

They are looking to have an offense with multiple threats (no more D. Branch's at the end of career taking up a spot). Spread it out so no one can double team Gronk and Wes and we fold.

That makes absolutely no sense. The point is production, not how it is spread.
If Amendola gets 1500 receiving yards it means the other players are taking coverage away from him.
Look at it this way. If 3 players get 3500 yards, it doesn't really matter how the 3500 is split up, the group of players were tremiendously effiective.
If that was the posters point, it makes no more sense than it did before.

Kind of interesting tweet from Rapoport:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
I don't believe in coincidences. So: Welker leaves Patriots for $6M per year in Denver. Danny Amendola signs for $6.1M per year #Math

Bit of "so there" by the Pats?

why is everyone saying $6.1?...$31/5 = $6.2

From what I heard on the radio (here in DC), the Pats offer to Welker was similar to what Amendola got (10 million guaranteed). The only difference is that Amendola had a 3 year option after 2 years. So essentially after Welker balked at that deal and signed with the Broncos, the Pats offered the same deal to Amendola and he took it.

Lets not forget, before Welker came to NE and had Brady throwing him the ball, he was just like Amendola production-wise.

Before I kill BB for this decision, I'll have to wait to see how Amendola performs in our offense.

There is no way we can replace Randy Moss' record breaking production with some rookie TE named Grondhevgfkski (or whatever), who hasn't even played in a college game in over a year.

Oops... wrong thread and 3 years too late.

They are investing cash at that position becasue who else do they have at WR....nothing but lloyd. They have to spend there others very 1 dimensional.

Absolutely no way they can dump lloyd now

actually it's a great move that Belichick does not take your advice. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Given his many, many screwups since 2007, you'll forgive me if I laugh at your troll posts.

It's a crap pair of moves by a front office which deserves to be eviscerated for it. Sadly, that won't happen around here, because "3 Super Bowls" still serves as insulation all these years later.

Come on Deus, you are better than this. You know it isn't more money, and you have no idea if they should be eviscerated for it, hyperbola doesn't suit you well.

Given his many, many screwups since 2007, you'll forgive me if I laugh at your troll posts.

I'd be rich if i bet the opposite of everything you predicted and said.
You have success like Belichick by being forward thinking and staying ahead of the curve.

His decisions have not cost us Super Bowls ... injuries have done that ... a healthy Gronk and we have at least 5 Super Bowls by now.

Last edited:

Eviscerated? Let's just forget about the really good deals we have going forward with Gronk and Hernandez.

But whatever, it's pretty easy to find a front office that can consistently rebuild teams that go to AFC championship games.

Come on Deus, you are better than this. You know it isn't more money, and you have no idea if they should be eviscerated for it, hyperbola doesn't suit you well.

:confused:

It is more money, clearly. And, yes, they should be eviscerated for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back