PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically, it's more probable than not they go 11-5 than 14-2. That's a credit to the parity in the NFL. Not an indictment on the Pats organization as a whole. The league is too competitive these days.
so the league wasn't competitive in 16 but it is now suddenly?

A couple of points on this comment, Luuked.

1. Again, it could be because of my natural aversion to WR's, but adding even a great WR, is NEVER going to be the reason for a "transcendent" season of offense. And while I grant it would have been fun to see him out there, a combination of the baggage he brought with him and the baggage that arrived when he first came, and finally the self inflicted baggage of his ill advise email; made it an easy decision for Kraft to move on from him.

Bill might not have been happy to lose his new shiny toy, but I doubt he could rationally disagree with the decision that AB should go. Brady understandably would have been the hardest hit, and the most reluctant to see him go. Its had been over a decade since Brady had a talent like that at WR. Also given Brady's personality and character it was easy to see how he would latch on to AB like a child would a wounded bird. AB was clearly a charming guy one on one. But that charm hides a kind of crazy that is not only self destructive for him, but for those around him, and THAT's why Kraft made the only rational decision that could be made at the time. (also he might have heard something about the NFL putting AB on the exempt list after the Jets game. )

2. The whole story that Brady and Bellichick were "against" releasing AB comes from Tom Curran. Curran's DOES have his sources within the Pats organization, at least as good as one gets for that organization. I do believe that the depth of that disagreement has been vastly overblown, simply because it's a much better story if it is. Remember Curran's source, at best, heard things 2nd or 3rd hand. Office gossip isn't usually about the subtleties, ;)

It’s not just Curran. Brady has come out repeatedly to say the same thing.

I’d rather he was with us then us facing him in AFCCG with the Chiefs
The last time they faced him he had 2 catches for 24 yards. The time before that, 4 catches for 49 yards.

Maybe we aren’t understanding each other then. Of course an elite receiver isn’t going to make an offense transcendent if the QB isn’t great too. A RB will not make an offense transcendent if the rest of the offense is average. And most all great QBs still need a great supporting cast to make an elite offense. And one great defensive player is not enough to change an entire offense if the rest of the unit blows.

That’s obvious. I would definitely not say that I’d rather have Donald than the best receiver in the league. A player like Antonio Brown, even with say 10 targets can make every bit as much of a difference as a defensive player who plays all snaps.

Our offense with Antonio Brown would be transcendent and maybe historically great, whereas without him it is just pretty good. One player can make a huge difference.
I think the key phrase here is "one player". No ONE player is going to make an offense great or non-great. Of course you could make a case for the QB, but even good QB's look bad when they are on bad teams. But QB is the only position you can even make that case for. WR is on the bottom end of that scale....for ME. But I predate fantasy football, so I never saw WR's as the end all and be all for offenses.

Allegations. There’s a thing called evidence in this country. Ben Roethlisberger played when he was accused of rape but that was civil. Frankly i don’t believe all this stuff brown accused off. I still stand that britney taylor looks like a money grab. Everyone has an opinion when it comes to the text with the painter.
Yeah, I mean where is the evidence that Brown is an unstable entitled guy with a hair trigger? I mean, his time with the Steelers was totally smooth going. And if he can handle that harsh disciplinarian Tomlin, he can handle anything!! And then with the Raiders, well, who DOESN'T burn his feet of in a cryo tank. And it's totally unreasonable to allow him to have his own set of standards for helmets completely outside the league rules. He's AB man, he deserves it!!

The thing about playing in Miami was brought up by Ben Violin, Felger, and Ordway.
well there's 3 of a kind who THINK they beat a straight flush. :rolleyes:

I think the key phrase here is "one player". No ONE player is going to make an offense great or non-great. Of course you could make a case for the QB, but even good QB's look bad when they are on bad teams. But QB is the only position you can even make that case for. WR is on the bottom end of that scale....for ME. But I predate fantasy football, so I never saw WR's as the end all and be all for offenses.
Has nothing to do with fantasy football. The rest of your post is perfectly reasonable but I would definitely not put WR on the bottom considering how offense and pass heavy the league is today. It is closer to the top than the bottom...for ME.

He deserves it and the Pats deserve it for handling the situation so poorly.
Shhh don’t say it too loud. The older timers in here won’t like that you’re trashing the team.

My theory
  • The money used on AB was originally earmarked for a potential gronk return.
  • The raiders releasing AB led to BB choosing to go with a rare HOF talent over gronk who alread has one foot out of the league.
  • Brady was all in on AB as he saw it as an opportunity to have a receiver with jerry rice impact
  • Kraft bent over to media and corporate pressure as always and stupidly released AB.
  • Brady and BB are pissed off because the collateral damage is a traded demariyius Thomas, a released HOF reciever in AB, and perhaps no money to lure gronk out of "retirement"
  • Kraft has learned nothing from the days of interfering with football operations when parcells was here.
  • Kraft owes Tom and BB BIG TIME.
  • The fans were robbed of witnessing a qb/ wr combination that wouldve been absolutely special. Fans frustrations lies in what couldve been.

Still can’t believe this guy was cut after one week over a text. A f***ing text!

Still can’t believe this guy was cut after one week over a text. A f***ing text!

Yup. Crazy isn’t it? Would really suck if AB is needed at a critical time, no?

Yup. Crazy isn’t it? Would really suck if AB is needed at a critical time, no?
It will only take one game where the Pats struggle on offense where this will be revisited.

Last edited:
BB/Brady have both survived controversy after controversy, but I think a meddling owner can be the one thing that can stop this train.

Not this year obviously, but over time if he keeps inserting himself when it comes to football related decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe