PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats fans, conspiracy theories, & my guesses

QBs account for $50m on the cap when teams have a good one.

A roster full of young players during a rebuild also means you typically have a lot of cap space.

You guys are incredibly impatient
We are roster full of young players because Bill keep consistently missing on high draft pick. They didn’t resign a high draft pick to a second contract for like 10 years

We are roster full of young players because Bill keep consistently missing on high draft pick. They didn’t resign a high draft pick to a second contract for like 10 years
Gonzalez, Keion White, Barmore, Strange, what's your definition of consistently missing? Mac Jones and Tyquan? Are those even Bill's picks?

"His goal is to build a roster that can win 8-9 games a year right now even if that team will be a mess in 3 years. He doesn’t care about building a team that will be good in 2-3 years."
Which absolutely doesn’t equals to purposefully destroying the franchise.

The point is that Bill is trying to win right now. He isn’t trying to build a team that will be good for the next 5 years

The point is that Bill is trying to win right now. He isn’t trying to build a team that will be good for the next 5 years
If you're hollowing out the franchise, you're destroying it. I feel the same way about the new group. There's pressure on them to be short-termers.

QBs account for $50m on the cap when teams have a good one.

A roster full of young players during a rebuild also means you typically have a lot of cap space.

You guys are incredibly impatient
QBs account for 50 mill if they are good.
We had the worst QB play in the NFL.
Patsfans conclusion: it wasn’t the QBs fault

Gonzalez, Keion White, Barmore, Strange, what's your definition of consistently missing? Mac Jones and Tyquan? Are those even Bill's picks?
They didn’t resign their top picks to 2nd contract for like 10 years. That’s why we have a ton of cap space. Because we didn’t have top home grown talent to resign.

McCourty and Hightower are probably the last 2 we have resign.

And yes Strange in the 1st was a missed pick.

There is no evidence in any moves that he made that hr was selling out the future for the present. Why wasn’t he trading draft picks for veterans? Why wasn’t he signing older players to big contracts? Why wasn’t he pushing cap hits into future dead money to fit more under it now?
Those are all things he would do if he was sacrificing the long term for the short term.

They didn’t resign their top picks to 2nd contract for like 10 years. That’s why we have a ton of cap space. Because we didn’t have top home grown talent to resign.

McCourty and Hightower are probably the last 2 we have resign.

And yes Strange in the 1st was a missed pick.
This stat is wrong. You have to go back to the 10 years when you COULD sign your own guys. Because for 4 and 5 years of this 10 year period, all your draft picks are under their first contracts.

You need to look at the 10 years when players are actually eligible to be resigned.

No, Strange wasn't a missed pick.

There is no evidence in any moves that he made that hr was selling out the future for the present. Why wasn’t he trading draft picks for veterans? Why wasn’t he signing older players to big contracts? Why wasn’t he pushing cap hits into future dead money to fit more under it now?
Those are all things he would do if he was sacrificing the long term for the short term.

Exactly - if anything the opposite. Too low cash spend and not enough signing of star players with void years going out to wazoo, like the rest of the league. Selling out the present for the future was more like it.

"His goal is to build a roster that can win 8-9 games a year right now even if that team will be a mess in 3 years. He doesn’t care about building a team that will be good in 2-3 years."
Seems logical but you really don't know

This stat is wrong. You have to go back to the 10 years when you COULD sign your own guys. Because for 4 and 5 years of this 10 year period, all your draft picks are under their first contracts.

You need to look at the 10 years when players are actually eligible to be resigned.

No, Strange wasn't a missed pick.
The 2020 draft has 4 players that will either resign or be sought after Free agents.
The only draft prior to that where we didn’t sign any player to a second contract was 2019.
It happened ONCE.

Strange was grading out a top G before his injury.

They have the most cap space because Bill screwed up and they have no talent on the roster. Not because he wanted to setup his successor well.
You’ve obviously been hurt. Show me on the doll where Bill touched you.

@sean10mm:

You start a post complaining about (other people’s) “bizarre conspiracy theories” and end with your own “guesses.” I actually agree with much in your first paragraphs but a little self-awareness would be a plus on this. None of us here know anything for sure, so we are all really just spouting our own theories, based on our general experience in life and as observers of the Patriots.

IMG_0112.jpeg

Last edited:
Bill got fired for cause: he had become a lousy GM, and showed every sign of declining into archaic irrelevance as a HC. Maybe we could just all give a hearty "boo hoo" in unison and move the everlivin' F on.

I feel like there's this bizarre tendency for people here to come up with convoluted, borderline-conspiracy theory explanations for anything the Patriots do. The Patriots 100% might be screwing up here, but the thought process behind their decisions seems incredibly straightforward.

Belichick got fired because he stopped winning. The NFL is a "What have you done for me lately?" business, and Bill himself has been one of the most cold-blooded practitioners of whacking people the second he thinks the return on investment is about to go the wrong way, regardless of prior performance. While Bill seemingly wanted to stay and might have thought he had a little more slack to turn it around, I don't think he's so delusional to think he could keep failing to win and coast on past performance forever. Action talks and BS walks. As Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are." Kraft acted accordingly.

Kraft and Belichick have had friction before, but when the team won 12+ games every year nobody gave a crap. The losing is the difference.

He wasn't fired for his coaching. He was fired for turning the offensive roster into a trash fire and showing zero signs he'd figured out how to turn it around. Losing Bill the coach was collateral damage of feeling like Bill the GM was killing them. They didn't take away his GM powers and keep him as HC either because he wouldn't actually do it (regardless of how people read the tea leaves from his Monday press conference), or becuase they thought it wouldn't actually work and would just make a dysfunctional drama crapshow between him and the new GM the second they disagreed.

Mayo isn't expected to be a better tactician than 2001-2018 Belichick. That's insane and I can (almost) guarantee nobody believes it. They think he can develop into a GOOD coach, and that combined with a GM who can build a better roster than 2019-2023 Belichick could manage (especially on offense) will add up to being overall better for the team than what 2020-present Belichick has actually delivered. They might be full of crap about Mayo and/or the future GM being the right people to do that, but the basic logic isn't some whackadoo hambanannas madness that requires Telenovela-level behind the scenes melodrama to explain away.

Mayo was hired right off the jump because they had a succession plan already in place, and he was it. The Patriots did the thing they didn't do with Brady that pissed everyone off - they had prepared for the changeover in advance. They had a plan and followed through.

They didn't bother with doing a bunch of HC interviews becuase he's been there for years, they've been evaluating him that entire time, and they think they know what they have. Again, they might be wrong, Mayo might stink to high heaven as a head coach. But if they think he's the guy, why waste everyone's time? Why delay rebuilding the organization and leave everyone twisting in the wind for longer than you have to if you think you have the answer already?

But what about hiring the head coach before the GM? BLASPHEMY! CATASTROPHE! LOUD NOISES!

Well, maybe.

If they end up flopping around a long time because they hired Mayo first and nobody wants to play GM with him, I'll 100% say that was a big mistake. The GM improving the roster is going to make this whole thing sink or swim in the next 2-3 years. I'm a lot more worried about the new GM upgrading the talent over the long haul than the first post-Belichick head coach if I'm honest. The roster is just that bad and the personnel side of things has just been terrifyingly aimless for years.

My GUESS (yes, this part is me just guessing, sue me), is they already know who the next GM is and they haven't announced it yet because they have to jump through all the hoops with league rules first before making it official, and that guy is already onboard with Mayo as HC. My GUESS is they whack Groh for being too much of a Bill puppet and hire Wolf, who actually had a track record working in personnel outside the Patriots from 2004-2019. So he's in the organization, but his career hasn't been just as a Belichick guy like Groh.

tl,dr: RLKAG
it's society in general. Everything is a conspiracy theory

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes