PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we the worst situation in the NFL right now?

The two teams ahead of us in the draft have loads of picks. Actually tried during free agency.

Titans could have been it, but actually tried to give their young QB weapons and added talent to the roster.

Even Carolina is going out making an effort to give their QB some weapons, and are in a weak division.

Maybe Denver? Due to their purgatory QB situation and lousy cap space as well. That’s about it.

I feel like this front office isn’t even trying. We aren’t asking them to throw out stupid money. But do something. It’s okay to overpay a little, the cap just went way up FFS. What are you saving it for?
Honestly, I'd rather be in Patriots position than those teams you mentioned. Carolina? Are you serious? Chicago and Washington? **** those teams.

I'm just glad Wolf isn't as emotional as some of you on this board.

It’s a multiple year rebuild. That’s where we are at. Our talent level on O is rock bottom.

Unfortunately this year’s FA class wasn’t very good, and even if we got Ridley he’s not a true number 1.

The thing that actually pissed me off though is that report that ended with “winning is done on the field.” Really? This isn’t the Dunasty era Pats, this is a 4 win ****ty team picking 3 in the draft. Don’t give us that “winning is done on the field” BS.

A lot of doom and gloom on this board. I had a feeling we weren’t going to be crazy active in FA after Mayo walked back his comment. Offensively this FA class frankly sucked. Especially after Higgins and Pittman were franchised.

What is the reason to panic at this point of the season?
We know this year FA is weak, we can see how many players are overpaid. I assume one of our needs is to find a legit WR1 but simply names like Ridley, Mike Williams, Pittman aren't even aspire to be one of them. Ok, maybe I say maybe Higgins but why should we trade for him offering let's say our 34th pick when he is available as a FA next year. However next year brings us a lot of catchy WR names. So stay calm, add players via draft and rebuild gradually the team.
I also think we grab a QB, I cannot even imagine the other way. So whoever he is , he probably sits year one and waits for his chance.
The bottom line is, whatever happens, whoever we sign this year we are not a contender this season.I expect changes, a few more wins and believe my team finds its proper way to fight for the championship in a few years. Once again - rush is not a good advisor.

Yes. It carries over to the following year.
The Patriots could roll over the $50M or so currently available cap space from 2024 to 2025.
There is no real limit on any one year. There is a salary floor over a four year cycle. Teams must spend 89% of their cumulative cap over four years.
The 2024 cap is $255M. So call it a billion over four years. Each team would have to spend about $900M over that four year window. So could roll forward up to $100M or so. I don’t believe any team has approached the floor.

Thank you. Great post.

A lot of doom and gloom on this board. I had a feeling we weren’t going to be crazy active in FA after Mayo walked back his comment. Offensively this FA class frankly sucked. Especially after Higgins and Pittman were franchised.

This is really starting to remind me of the week after K.C. ( “ we’re on to Cincinnati”) when the board was melting down. They won’t be going to the Super Bowl and winning it next year, but the have really good defense, high draft picks, and a ton of $$& to use when good players become available. The only thing that matters is the decisions they make, that will determine their future. And even though everyone wants to see big names walking through the door not making bad deals out of panic is a good decision. Some here are acting like they have 21 hours to rebuild or they are dead forever.

We really f.ucked up not getting the 2nd pick. Thats what I feel.
I remember there were many people who were happy about those useless ass wins against PIT and DEN. They would have had their choice of Maye or Daniels at #2 if they lose just 1 of those

they were a 4 win expansion team roster last season and nothing has changed on the roster outside of signing a third down back, a jag TE, and some guy named tikitaki.... they're looking at a one or two win home slate next season
All I heard last year was that we lost 7-8 one score game and that if we had just basic QB play we would have won 8-9 games last year.

In the end it all comes down to hit on the QB in the draft. If we do we are gonna be fine regardless.

They are question marks for sure but Bourne was having a career year last year with the worst QB in the league. Henry was fine. Pop should be better this year. Honestly I don’t think Juju can be more bad than 2023 he only can go up. Throw a rookie in there. Is it the best offense in the league? No but is it possible to do something with it? Yes I think so.

Where do you think the Texans offense would have been with Mills playing all year?

It all comes down to the QB. Yeah the line is not optimal but if the QB is the real deal he can though it up for one year. I still think that the OL coaching was bad last year. I think the coaching will be better so can this coaching staff extract more from that line than last year ? Probably.

maybe I say maybe Higgins but why should we trade for him offering let's say our 34th pick when he is available as a FA next year
Because Higgins will never hit FA. Either he is gonna resign with the Bengals or he is getting traded.

I am fine giving 34 for Higgins. He is a proven commodity and will be better than any receiver we take at 34

Because Higgins will never hit FA. Either he is gonna resign with the Bengals or he is getting traded.

I am fine giving 34 for Higgins. He is a proven commodity and will be better than any receiver we take at 34
Maybe you are right and Cincy will give him a new contract or trade him ( additionally they have to prepare a lucrative contract for Chase ).However we do not now he is going to be better than any receiver taken by us at 34. For sure he is more experienced.
All I am trying to say is ( except Higgins or maybe Evans ) there weren't any WRs worth giving them a ton of money. None of them is a true alpha type. Let's see what is going on during a draft process and focus on next year FA.

The Pats have about 50 million in cap room, projected to need about 13 million for the rookies...
There are trade possibilities, which are getting slimmer daily, and the June cuts.. not sure the Pats are cheap. But we are not a very attractive franchise right now and of course there is the income tax considerations for Mass/RI residents..
Calvin Ridley was overpaid and am pleased the Pats did not top the offer of Tennessee.
There is no evidence that Wolf et al are not trying, the FA group was slim pickings, but I do think that what we see on paper now is not what we will see on opening day..

Agree, New England isn't a green island for players anymore. There is no a factor like BB or TB12 attracting anyone. I hope it will change sooner than later.

April 29, 2007 - the date Randy Moss became a Patriot for a 4th round draft pick. Mark that down. It was after free agency, after the draft and two weeks before Mother's Day.

There is so much time left to continue to add players. The draft is very significant for three reasons - the guys you get, the guys you trade draft picks for, and the guys other teams release because they got their less-expensive replacement on draft day. Undrafted free agents are always fun and yield at least one player pretty much every year.

Free agents and trades get rolling over the next six weeks. The price for remaining free agents is dropping and will continue to do so up to and through the draft. Guys who need a change of scenery get dangled as the draft approaches

The offense is not that bad right now. QB is the key, of course. The TE position is solid, the running backs room is solid, the OL needs another starter, and the WR room needs a player or two. Four really good players would change everything. They have the money and draft picks to get those four players on offense.

The Pats have about 50 million in cap room, projected to need about 13 million for the rookies...
There are trade possibilities, which are getting slimmer daily, and the June cuts.. not sure the Pats are cheap. But we are not a very attractive franchise right now and of course there is the income tax considerations for Mass/RI residents..
Calvin Ridley was overpaid and am pleased the Pats did not top the offer of Tennessee.
There is no evidence that Wolf et al are not trying, the FA group was slim pickings, but I do think that what we see on paper now is not what we will see on opening day..
Income tax issues have never stopped anyone from signing with the Giants or Jets.

June cuts, has that been a thing in the last 20 years?

April 29, 2007 - the date Randy Moss became a Patriot for a 4th round draft pick. Mark that down. It was after free agency, after the draft and two weeks before Mother's Day.

There is so much time left to continue to add players. The draft is very significant for three reasons - the guys you get, the guys you trade draft picks for, and the guys other teams release because they got their less-expensive replacement on draft day. Undrafted free agents are always fun and yield at least one player pretty much every year.

Free agents and trades get rolling over the next six weeks. The price for remaining free agents is dropping and will continue to do so up to and through the draft. Guys who need a change of scenery get dangled as the draft approaches

The offense is not that bad right now. QB is the key, of course. The TE position is solid, the running backs room is solid, the OL needs another starter, and the WR room needs a player or two. Four really good players would change everything. They have the money and draft picks to get those four players on offense.
Yeah I think you’re downplaying just how bad the offense is. The WR room needs more than a player or two. Bourne is coming off a major knee injury, JuJus knee may never be the same again, Pop whom I like is undersized and was in and out of the lineup with injuries. Thorton who has pretty much not done anything in his career has NO guaranteed money and the GM/Coach that drafted him is no longer in the building.

Not sure how much but some does
I do know.. that according to the CBA, and NFL rules all teams MUST spend a certain amount each year. Me personally I do like that the team kept a majority of thier core players. The FA availability this offense just wasn't all that desirable.. I'll keep saying this.. just sign Hollywood brown, and add some depth in the draft. I will say with Brissett to start the season at least he will be better than Mac and Zapp combined in AVPs offense.

As we know when Reiss said "Over the past 10 years, the Patriots ranked last in the NFL in cash spending at $1.62 billion, according to Roster Management Systems" it doesn't mean they didn't spend, but you can't come in last in a metric like that and pretend that you're spending every year. Jeremy Jacobs would be proud. I don't even know what kind of bizzaro world we all stepped into where Kraft and Henry don't spend but Jacobs does. Wyc is probably the best owner in Boston because he honestly doesn't care about spending and is about to extend Jrue when they legally can next month.

Anyways I hope that the league eventually makes Kraft spend up to the cap if this is the way its going to go. The current offense is expansion team level. Left tackle is a joke, they also need another starting corner and could use another safety like a Simmons.

The new regime has literally just started. Forget about playing a game, or a preseason game, or having a practice or even making a draft pick, nothing has really happened yet. Take a freaking breath.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back