PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aubrey Huff hits for cycle

frankiesfly

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Aubrey Huff of the Baltimore Orioles hit for the cycle last night. I'm writing about this because to me its not only one of the hardest things to do in baseball but in all sports. A batter hitting for the cycle is like a pitcher throwing a no hitter just on the other side of the ball. Im honestly not sure what is more difficult to do, hit for the cycle, or throw a no-no. Pitching a no hitter is hard to do but theres been two no hitters this season so far and there was two no hitters broken up in the ninth inning, and there was 4 no hitters broke up after the seventh. Now as far as the cycle, Huff is the only one to do it this year. So no hitters have happen more often and seem to come close to happening more than the cycle. What do you guys think? Is it harder for a batter to hit for the cycle or for a pitcher to throw a no hitter?

Aubrey Huff of the Baltimore Orioles hit for the cycle last night. I'm writing about this because to me its not only one of the hardest things to do in baseball but in all sports. A batter hitting for the cycle is like a pitcher throwing a no hitter just on the other side of the ball. Im honestly not sure what is more difficult to do, hit for the cycle, or throw a no-no. Pitching a no hitter is hard to do but theres been two no hitters this season so far and there was two no hitters broken up in the ninth inning, and there was 4 no hitters broke up after the seventh. Now as far as the cycle, Huff is the only one to do it this year. So no hitters have happen more often and seem to come close to happening more than the cycle. What do you guys think? Is it harder for a batter to hit for the cycle or for a pitcher to throw a no hitter?

I think you'd be surprised how often someone gets 3 of the 4 in a game. The thing is, it's not reported as a near-cycle the way lost no-hitters are.

Perfect games are easily harder to get. I respect no-hitters more because they take so much more skill. Hitting for the cycle is more happenstance than it is a skill.

It's also only of manufactured significance. I'd much rather a guy go 4-4 with a single, double, and two home runs, which happens far more often.

Now as far as the cycle, Huff is the only one to do it this year.
Fred Lewis and Mark Ellis are insulted that you forgot about them.

21 players have hit for the cycle while only 8 pitchers have thrown a no-hitter since the start of 2003. So while hitting for the cycle has been relatively common as of late, history does show that the number of each is pretty balanced with 234 no-hitters and 275 cycles being completed in major league history. I personally don't think that either is really all that impressive and each is really more luck than skill, but considering that this is an offense first era I'd give the edge to the no-hitter being more impressive now. But the fact is that Kyle Lohse could throw a no-hitter today just as easily as Josh Beckett could, so it is still a lot more chance and well placed fielders than anything else.

Fred Lewis and Mark Ellis are insulted that you forgot about them.

21 players have hit for the cycle while only 8 pitchers have thrown a no-hitter since the start of 2003. So while hitting for the cycle has been relatively common as of late, history does show that the number of each is pretty balanced with 234 no-hitters and 275 cycles being completed in major league history. I personally don't think that either is really all that impressive and each is really more luck than skill, but considering that this is an offense first era I'd give the edge to the no-hitter being more impressive now. But the fact is that Kyle Lohse could throw a no-hitter today just as easily as Josh Beckett could, so it is still a lot more chance and well placed fielders than anything else.

Thanks for the info. thats cool bro. I followed baseball really close this year and don't know why i can't remember those other 2 that were hit. Maybe they weren't as advertised as Huff's and i missed it. I do agree it takes some luck to do both. It takes good D to get the no hitter and to hit the triple the ball has to land in the right part of the park to make it around to third.

Last edited:
I think you'd be surprised how often someone gets 3 of the 4 in a game. The thing is, it's not reported as a near-cycle the way lost no-hitters are.

Perfect games are easily harder to get. I respect no-hitters more because they take so much more skill. Hitting for the cycle is more happenstance than it is a skill.

It's also only of manufactured significance. I'd much rather a guy go 4-4 with a single, double, and two home runs, which happens far more often.

I won't be suprised. I bet there is a lot of guys who get 3 of the 4 hits, but probably in 80% of the cases that person didn't have the triple. I'd rather have the guy with two HR's too, because those are hits gauranteeing RBI's. The cycle is talked about because of the difficulty to get all 4 hits. If this was a post about what hits we'd rather have i would agree.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back