PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Need to start Hiring Coaches at this point...

Interesting....take your time and find the right guy ....or .....hurry up because everyone will be gone.....:)

Still wondering why the Pats haven't announced any hirings...

They could do a lot to solidify the defensive coaching staff, which appears to be in decent shape based on last year... The only thing they would need to do is replace Covington (assuming he gets the job) as the DL coach... unless there are any in house candidates that could take the next step... Unless they think Covington is not right for the job... Maybe Steve Belichick gets slotted into that role? seems like a more natural fit for DC that Covington...

If they do this, that wipes one side of the ball off the table, no more multi-tasking... Could concentrate on hiring the offensive side of the ball, followed by securing the special team coaches that are sorely needed...
Is it possible that the Pats are waiting on a coach or coaches in the title games?

All of the top prospects unless things change between now and April, that they likely stay where they are. I'm no draft expert obviously I'm just assuming. But I can't see us moving out the # 3 position we are primed to get a great player!
What about one great player for a few good ones? They have too many holes to fill and could be better off moving back and adding picks.

I doubt he generates any interest. Teams seem to be going after ex-player coaches or non player coaches from the Shannahan/McVay systems. Steve is neither. There's also the whole thing about him being reticent to lead team meetings. That's why Bill paired him first w/ BFlo and then with Mayo. Steve may be smart and a good coach but he's weird AF.

View attachment 56275
You can't judge a book by it's cover. A great example of that was watching the lead singer for Disturbed sing Sound of Silence. It wasn't at all what I expected.

The rumors that Steve had trouble speaking to groups is very concerning though, especially when you consider that he's coaching a game with 53 man rosters.

Interesting....take your time and find the right guy ....or .....hurry up because everyone will be gone.....:)
I have no info but I look at the OC search this way. If Mayo likes Caley, who he probably knows well enough, and probably isn’t a “top name” then he becomes the baseline. He would want to talk to some other guys who are in successful offenses on successful teams. He can’t do that until after the CCs. If any exceed the baseline, he makes an offer to them. If not, then he doesn’t. So he needs a few more days.

Is it possible that the Pats are waiting on a coach or coaches in the title games?
considering that 2 of the remaining 6 candidates for OC are from the final 4, I would say its at least plausible...

If that is the case, do you strike those 4 whose season has ended out of the running for OC? thats doubtful...

Its more likely that Mayo was put into a holding pattern by his first (few?) choice(s) while their potential job options were sussed out... Take Zac Robinson for example, who was tied to (at least) 4 teams (including the Falcons) before accepting the Atlanta job

Nick Caley - LA Rams,
Jerrod Johnson - Houston Texans, QB Coach, TE coach
Thomas Brown - Carolina Panthers, OC
Luke Getsy - Chicago Bears OC, fired 1/24
Brian Fluery - SF 49ers TE coach
Tanner Engstrand - Detroit Lions, passing game coordinator

Last edited:
What about one great player for a few good ones? They have too many holes to fill and could be better off moving back and adding picks.
Have to take the shot at a quarterback when it becomes available... Mayo wants to address more holes through the draft? Take a cue from Caserio in Houston - Trade up and take the player or players you want... would I move next years first, this years second, and maybe a bit more to trade back into round 1 to get a LT like Joe Alt? Yes, and I wouldn't even think twice about it

Agreed, we do have alot of holes to fill up. I just know that at the most important position on the field we need to get right for certain!

NFL players, in general, are not too bright and Boston and Massachusetts are trending down.....fast. It's like a virus that keeps spreading and spreading. No way I would raise my kids here if I had the money to live elsewhere. I'm only still here because of family. I am also a witness to the decline.
Because you don’t have the money to move to another state with inferior education and healthcare and (likely) a higher crime rate, you have decided to continue to live in the state with the second highest cost of living in the nation? Interesting strategy.

As for Massachusetts and Boston trending down, you may want to reassess your sources….

The weather here is really ****ty, I’ll give you that.

Because you don’t have the money to move to another state with inferior education and healthcare and (likely) a higher crime rate, you have decided to continue to live in the state with the second highest cost of living in the nation? Interesting strategy.

As for Massachusetts and Boston trending down, you may want to reassess your sources….

Agreed the traffic is ****ty as well. But I hear people say this all the time.. however Massachusetts, most namely my home city Boston is overpopulated for a reason. Jobs, colleges and hospitals are why people are here. People want to be here!

This isn't actually true in any objective sense.
I've been here 45 years. If you remove the facade it's becoming a ****hole, like France or England.

Have to take the shot at a quarterback when it becomes available... Mayo wants to address more holes through the draft? Take a cue from Caserio in Houston - Trade up and take the player or players you want... would I move next years first, this years second, and maybe a bit more to trade back into round 1 to get a LT like Joe Alt? Yes, and I wouldn't even think twice about it
Screenshot_20240128_100235_Samsung Internet.jpg

You are quoting "Boston" sourced news. Nice!
I'd rather not go into a big discussion why Boston (and Mass) have become ****holes but after 45 years of living here I can vouch for it's decline. Don't look at the wrapping. Look what's inside. I'll give you the healthcare but even that is not not true anymore. I know. I've seen MANY doctors and they are going down hill. Again, don't look at the pretty medical equipment. Soooo much evidence people look past.
Sure, it may be easy for you if you have the income and that's fine but it's not such for majority of the natives.
I won't reply anymore as it's WAYYY off-topic (yes, I opened my my mouth so my fault) but have at it.
But to one of your points (and I didn't click on any of your links, I didn't have to), Massachusetts has seen more people leaving the state than coming. But don't worry, those hundreds of thousands of illegals coming daily will fill in just fine.

Last edited:
Some planet you must live on if you consider either of those countries ****holes.
It's fine if you're well-off but the average citizen will tell you otherwise.
Things have changed. They keep changing and not for the better is my point. Civilization is in decline. Look at NY or California. Don't look at the people with money. Look at all the people leaving those states. Look at all the people leaving Massachusetts. They are top 5 in the nation in out-migration. And don't count the illegals flooding the state as people coming here. The only imports are students coming here for schooling and staying for work.
I'm out of this conversation Jack. I won't reply further. I'm just here for the new OC.

if Nick Caley ends up being a decent OC (we honestly have no idea yet). it will raise the question of why we picked patricia/judge over him to replace McDaniels. and if the whole trajectory of the team would've changed.

I still don't mind if we go with McDaniels.

Ah, that explains it.
It's non of my business that you are fine with it but I'm not, for the record. Let's move on and not get this thread locked.

if Nick Caley ends up being a decent OC (we honestly have no idea yet). it will raise the question of why we picked patricia/judge over him to replace McDaniels. and if the whole trajectory of the team would've changed.

I still don't mind if we go with McDaniels.
The report was Bill wanted Caley to be acting OC without the title or pay increase.
I thought we are interviewing Detroit’s Passing game coordinaor, and niners tight end.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back