PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills will let T.O. walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, then let me throw you under the bus. Why waste a roster spot on a guy who has only had a significant impact in 2004, but a negative impact every year?

It's a rediculous idea. This isn't fantasy football or Madden.

Ridiculous, is it?
Wasn't it ridiculous to sign Cory Dillon, who in his first year broke the franchise single season yardage record?
Was it ridiculous to sign Randy Moss who, with TB broke an NFL record for receiving touchdowns?
These guys were not setting the league on fire in the previous season or two before joining the Pats.
Pats can make these things work if the conditions are right.
Although that 81 thing could be a problem, admittedly.

I really don't want another old guy at the end of the line, especially at WR. I'd rather sign or draft someone younger. I'd even rather bring back Deion Branch.

Why can't you do both? Sign TO and draft someone!

This idea works in video games.

In real life, putting 2 WRs with huge egos, who each believe they are the best the game has ever seen, and who have been compared to each other for years in the same huddle and asking them to not care how many passes they get thrown their way as compared to the other is a disaster waiting to happen.

TO couldn't coexist 2 years ago in Dallas with Jason Witten. TO was getting the ball thrown to him more often than Witten but because Witten was catching more balls TO went off. Why does anyone think he'd be OK being 2nd option to Moss or possibly even 3rd to Moss and Welker?

And please stop with the Dillon in 2004 or Moss in 2007 comparisons. They are not even close to the same situations. Neither was being asked to be 2nd or 3rd options and it is not even close to the same locker room atmosphere as the Thomas episodes showed.

Last edited:
I really don't want another old guy at the end of the line, especially at WR. I'd rather sign or draft someone younger. I'd even rather bring back Deion Branch.

That assessment of TO you posted is eerily familiar although in a different setting perhaps not as noticable...

It's really hard to predict the wall, but they all hit it and sometimes it's just hard to pinpoint exactly when it started because there are all sorts of extenuating circumstances to point to at first. He was injured, someone else was injured or missing or not playing well enough or not good enough...:blahblah:

The only old guys I want at the end of this roster are guys like a Patten who can hopefully play a role in the off season and TC as mentors who know what it takes to win the Patriots way. I'd have no problem with Branch if he's healthy and the is the price is right. But all of that is stop gap or bridge moves. We do need to start building a solid WR corps and they don't all (or even any) have to be supernovas...just instinctive, competent, hardworking, hardnosed, driven football players.

Why can't you do both? Sign TO and draft someone!

I think if we spent a 2nd round pick on a guy like Arrelious Benn or Mardy Gilyard, that would be good enough IMO. You have Moss, Edelman, and Tate, and then you add Benn/Gilyard/etc with Welker hopefully returning mid-season. You can let Moss walk after this year, like he's expecting, and use a first rounder on Green/Jones/Baldwin/Floyd. You go into 2011 with lets say Green, Benn, Welker, Edelman, Tate. That's nice revamped WR corps that has you set for the future.

Even for one year, why do you need an aging TO with ego issues with a locker room already supposedly in a not-so-great situation? Everyone thought winning would shut TO up. It didn't. He went to the SB in Philly and he still couldn't help himself. The guy is the ultimate cancer no matter where he goes, and he's not even that good. At 36 he's a former shell of himself. If you want to sign and draft someone, I would look into Branch (when he's released) at the right price before TO. Branch is younger and had a great rapport with Brady.

Ridiculous, is it?
Wasn't it ridiculous to sign Cory Dillon, who in his first year broke the franchise single season yardage record?
Was it ridiculous to sign Randy Moss who, with TB broke an NFL record for receiving touchdowns?
These guys were not setting the league on fire in the previous season or two before joining the Pats.
Pats can make these things work if the conditions are right.
Although that 81 thing could be a problem, admittedly.

Dillon was one and done. 2007 was great fun right up to the end...

The team that could take those chances doesn't exist anymore. This is a different team in the midst of re-tooling and pretty light on the kind of hard nosed, veteran leadership it takes to manage attitudes and egos over the course of a season in an organization not known for coddling bruisable egos. The conditions are no longer right for taking flyers on potential problem children or relying on performers who can't always be counted on to step up.

Dillon was one and done. 2007 was great fun right up to the end...

The team that could take those chances doesn't exist anymore. This is a different team in the midst of re-tooling and pretty light on the kind of hard nosed, veteran leadership it takes to manage attitudes and egos over the course of a season in an organization not known for coddling bruisable egos. The conditions are no longer right for taking flyers on potential problem children or relying on performers who can't always be counted on to step up.

Agreed 100%. This is a different Pats team, and look at the issues caused by a disgruntled AD, who handled things way better than T.O. ever would.

And fans want to complain and cry about Moss "dogging it" or giving up on routes? You haven't seen anything until you've seen Owens out there with his alligator arms and finger-pointing and dropped passes. The only people who should be in favour of signing T.O. are the talking heads in the Boston media so they'd have drama to write about all the time.

Say NO!, to T.O.

PleaseMakeItStop.jpg

Ridiculous, is it?

Not at all. Everyone knew he was being edged out by a guy who was younger. The media and fans of others teams all said "uh-oh" when we signed him.

Randy Moss had many more question marks than Dillon.

Neither of these guys are the headcase that TO is. He has as many suicide attempts as he does Super Bowl appearances. He cries during interviews. He's unstable.

Randy Moss and Dillon are some of the best to ever play at their position. They wanted a place to come where they could take the back seat and just play football. TO is just the opposite. He's one of the best WRs, but he has some sort of character flaw where he can't handle fame.

I will say this, though, he did tone it down this past season somewhat.

Bill likes recolmation projects he did it with Dillon and Moss and he can do it with TO.I dont blame him with what happend with the Bills was not his fault they did not throw to him. Hes worth a try for a year and at cheap rate cant do no worse then Galloway.

TO is usually a good teammate his first year with a team. The exception being Buffalo (kind of), but there he had crap QBs throwing to him, and a subpar team that lost it's coach halfway through.

Put him on this team for a year as a stop gap while we find/develop a younger WR and wait for Welker to come back, and he'll be a good citizen. Just don't expect to keep him around in 2011.

Please, for the love of everything good and holy.... SIGN THE BEAST!

I've said it before I'll say it again, I'll take him for a one year deal as a stopgap. There is hardly a risk in that. If he acts up, you know BB won't be having any of it and he'd be gone in a heartbeat.

I'm not talking about the Bills, I'm talking about in Dallas. He seemed to have lost a step in the 08 season. There was a good segment on NFL Live, I believe, during the 08 season about why T.O. wasn't getting the ball after he complained. It wasn't because Romo was butt buddies with Witten, it's because T.O. was having trouble getting open. They broke it down and showed him having trouble getting of the jam and separating from CB's.

You should also take into account that Romo was hurt for the majority of 2008 and T.O. had to contend with Brad Johnson as his quarterback. From what I saw, T.O. didn't have any more problems separating from CBs than most other WRs (including Randy Moss) do.

Two years removed from that, I can only imagine he's a little slower. This whole "we need another deep threat" thing is a little bit overblown. We need a guy that go over the middle and work the intermediate part of the field. Yes, T.O. was once this guy, but at 37 years old, I don't know if he can separate the way he once did.

As I said before, T.O. is not only a guy that can threaten the perimeter, but he can also threaten the middle of the field. We've all seen him do it thousands of times in his career and he did it last year in Buffahole... even with Trent Edwards and Fitzpatrick throwing him the ball. Give him Tom Brady, a guy capable of putting a pass right on his facemask, and T.O. has now redeemed his career, if only for one year.

The fact that he played on the Bills masks the deficiencies in his game. Everyone points to his bad surroundings for him being ineffective, and although his surroundings didn't help the cause he is just not the same player. He's never had good hands and doesn't have the same speed he once had.

I'd absolutely love to see your proof of this. Tell me, was it early in the morning or late in the afternoon when you clocked Owens' 40 time?

We don't need to go after another big-name guy who is over the hill and will fail to meet expectations (see: Galloway)

Oh, okay. Cool. So I guess we'll just keep going after small-time guys who are over the hill. David Patten, I believe his name is?

Seems like another Joey Galloway who everyone thought was an upgrade over Gaffney and would come in and operate the middle of the field and be that "deep threat" that would make it so much easier on Moss.

You know damn well that T.O. is not another Galloway. To say such just sounds ridiculous. Galloway was a good receiver, but he was a one trick pony throughout his entire career. T.O. has always been a multi-faceted receiver. Galloway didn't take care of himself the way T.O. has and does, which is why you can still get production out of Owens and Galloway still isn't on a team.

Look, the aim here is to upgrade the receiver position this offseason. Why not do it with the best option that there is out there? I don't see anybody else who would even remotely be able to come into this team and make the impact that T.O. could this year. As I said before, if he starts up with the mouth, we could just give him the Philly treatment. For a one year deal, there isn't a lot for us to lose.

Try to put your personal feelings for the guy aside for a moment and look at this objectively...

Gotta think "Sign the Beast" is up there w/ "Dog Faker" as top phrases of PF.com.

Moss and TO on the same field taking passes from Brady? "I'll be in my bunk."

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore