PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount needs to watch some old tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see how you can say that Blount doesn't run with power when he was second in the league last year in yards after contact per rush. Only person that did better than him was Marshawn Lynch.

The NFL stands for Not-For-Long we ain't talking about last year we are talking about Now!

I hate to say it but its the playcalling as well hurting Blount.
Why the heck would you call a delay handoff the play looks so telegraphed.
Everytime I see the formation i cringe.
1 to 2 yds and thats normally the max.
If Blount needs to get a head of steam to get going why not try a toss or sweep and get him to the outside.
It worked for Denver like crazy.
If he hesitates to run replace him there has to be a back out there who wont hesitate to hit a hole and go north and south.
Sometimes its all the difference in the world those 2 yd gains turning to 4 yd gains.

The NFL stands for Not-For-Long we ain't talking about last year we are talking about Now!

So you think LeGarrette just lost all his power? Really?

Blount needs to loose some weight to gain some speed. He seems so bulked up and that may be slowing him down. He needs a similar body transformation as Donta Hightower.

You know, I've been Blount's greatest Detractor, hereabouts: I've always considered him a PowerBack ~ based on'is Size ~ without Power: He's all Upper Body Strength and not enough Core Power.

In EarthSpeak, that means that while he looks great once he's gotten through the Line, it's precisely that far more crucial Aspect ~ getting through the Line in the first place and Moving The Chains ~ that he is consequently far less adept at than one might expect, looking at'm: He's no Jerome Bettis.

And his Pass Protection and Receiving skills've always been mediocre at best.

Even so...He's been growing on me.

I still wouldn't choose'm for my Team ~ there are far too many Backs that I prefer at various Price Points ~ but in watching The Tape, ere the last Year or so, it seems to me that he's being coached on how he prioritizes his Time in the Weight Room ~ to focus on Core Power ~ and is actually applying the Coaching.

I cannot imagine that Core Power will ever become a particular Strength of his, but it seems to me that he's become far more formidable at The Point of Impact than he previously was.

And of course: he's incredibly agile for a PowerBack.

Not a Fan...but no longer a rabid Detractor.

Interesting analysis OTG. From a purely physical viewpoint, I think it is interesting to compare Blount with likely Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry of Alabama. To be clear, I think that Henry has much more talent that Blount ever did, and of course Henry by all accounts has a great attitude, is a great teammate, etc. (unlike Blount in college).

However, physically, there are similarities. Both are very big and tall for a RB, Blount is 6-0, 250, Henry is 6-3, 242. Both take a bit of time to get up to speed, but their top speed is good (actually, great for Henry). The interesting thing is that Henry isn't really that type of back that never loses yardage, he gets stopped at the line of scrimmage plenty (just like Blount). I think the problem is that Henry is so tall for a running back at 6-3, it is hard for him to burrow through the pile like a shorter running back (I thought the great Emmitt Smith was one of the best at that).

However, the reason that Henry has already gained over 1800 yards this season is that, although he gets stopped for little or no gain too often, if he DOES break through the line with a head of steam, he is just very, very difficult to bring down, he is strong as an ox and super physical (and weighs 242), fast enough to outrun DB's, and because his arms are so long (the one benefit of that height) he has a great stiff arm. He really seems to relish running over LB's and DB's in the open field.

So: my argument is that Blount is like a poor man's Henry. He isn't really great at short yardage. However, if he breaks through the line with a head of steam he can be productive. Thus, it seems to me that Blount is most useful against weaker defenses, or defenses that are tired out, he isn't the best at moving the pile, but if he breaks through the line he can be dangerous in the open field. What think you? ;)

Last edited:
I'm wondering how much of this is a result of the OL struggles? I don't remember a point heading into week 13 where we only had one 100 yard rushing performance all season (Blount vs WAS) from all of our backs total, unless I'm forgetting someone.

I think his struggles compared to last year are a function of the OL. He's always danced behind the line when a hole is not obvious. Both Ridley and Gray were more decisive. However, once he gets going downfield, he's a load to stop. If there's a hole where there is supposed to be one, he'll turn a 3-yard gain into a 6-yard gain. If there's a big hole, he'll turn a 5-yard gain into a 10-yard gain. If there's not much of a hole, he'll turn a 2-yard gain into a 1-yard gain. There have been fewer holes

I think his technique has been consistent, at least since the coaching staff got him to lower his pad level some of the time a couple years ago. However, even at his best, he would run upright while picking his way through the line but lower his shoulders once he gets going. There are definitely times when picking his way through the line, he creates opportunities that would not otherwise be there, but in short yardage and when fighting to get something out of a smaller hole, that doesn't help.

When the Offensive line is disrupted and questionable, blame the RBs. Some posters always jump to the wrong conclusions... White sucks, Blount sucks yadda, yadda, yadda...

When the Offensive line is disrupted and questionable, blame the RBs. Some posters always jump to the wrong conclusions... White sucks, Blount sucks yadda, yadda, yadda...
While what you say is true, the Patriots have to find a back who can cope with the current
situation. A faster, shiftier back like Deon Lewis. Hopefully, Trey Williams is that back but
it may be unrealistic to expect lightning to strike twice.

Not having James Develin hurts our running game. Shaq Mason and Michael Williams aren't true fullbacks.

The run blocking has been really poor lately. I don't blame Blount for the most part. He's missed some holes, but he never had great vision so I don't expect that. He needs help from the OL.

It could be that Blunt has started that inevitable decline that comes with most power backs once they reach 30 or so? Or it could the the OL issues that have stalled him this year.

In watching Blunt on Sunday night, he looked awfully slow and tentative. Painfully slow and tentative and so it's no coincidence that new RB (albeit a different kind of one) has been signed this week.

I'm thinking its a combination of Blunt hitting the wall and the OL struggling the last few weeks.

I've never understood the love of Blount: he's just not all that. But please let's not compare him to Maroney, Blount is better than that stutter-stepper...
hammer1.gif

and so it's no coincidence that new RB (albeit a different kind of one) has been signed this week.

The new RB is supposed to replace Dion Lewis, not Blount. So yes, it is a coincidence.

I've never understood the love of Blount: he's just not all that. But please let's not compare him to Maroney, Blount is better than that stutter-stepper...
hammer1.gif
The Blount love comes from the fact that when the Oline opens up holes for him he can take over a game.

I think it's funny that everybody suddenly wants Blount gone because he had a bad game against the Broncos. Our shakey Oline (who looked putrid the game before) went up against a top 3 front 7 in the league. What did you guys expect to happen? Hell, if we look at how the Patriots usually attack a dominant front 7, we'd see the 3rd down back gets used heavily (we miss you Dion), not the power back.

Y'all need to calm down for the moment. If he starts consistently putting up more 9 carries for 27 yards type games then we have a problem. But until, then just take a chill pill.

Blount has been running poorly, and in my opinion it is because he is too high in his stance. He needs to go back to the tape from 2013 and 2014 when he was running well and correct his form. He also needs to be more decisive in his runs, he is dancing like Maroney back there in recent weeks.

We need to be able to line up with 6 OL and run the ball down teams throats, adapt the offense to a power run similar to the end of 2013 when we had no Gronkowski and only Edelman as a WR.

I think the biggest issue with Blount is he has nobody behind him threatening his place in the lineup. Blount likes (see walking off field as a Steeler) to be the lead back and in 2013 he had Ridley here and in 2014 he had Gray coming off a monster game the same week he arrived. He has absolutely sucked since Lewis went down his only real threat to lose reps.
If Blount had you earlier in his career he may have been Adrian Peterson.

Back in 2014, Blount had the same problems he is having now and leads to this thread. During 2014 he changed his style after this little conversation with Bill “Bill told me — he said the only thing I wasn’t doing right was running with a lower pad level,” Blount said. “So, I changed that and I started breaking more tackles, started getting a lot of extra yardage after contact.”

Read more at: Bill Belichick's Advice to LeGarrette Blount Paid Off in Patriots' Playoff Win Over Colts

I'm wondering how much of this is a result of the OL struggles? I don't remember a point heading into week 13 where we only had one 100 yard rushing performance all season (Blount vs WAS) from all of our backs total, unless I'm forgetting someone.

I'd also add in Develin. The offense ran out of the I-formation 19% of run plays in 2014, and that figure is below 9% now.

But even accounting for that, I'm not really sure what the point of all this is. There's not a lot of difference in the run game from last year to this, which is a bit surprising.

Blount averaged 4.4 YPC last year, 4.2 YPC this year. 5 TDs last year, 6 TDs this year. The team averaged 3.9 YPC last year, 3.8 YPC this year.

Part of it may be the number of carries. The team is averaging 4 fewer carries per game despite leading the majority of them. Blount is less effective in the second half, but better in the first half. According to the ESPN splits (which look weird and I don't totally trust), we only run against 3-man lines this year while we ran in all sorts of scenarios last year.

But in terms of production, it's pretty similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back