PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady6 Offseason Plan 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost me at Clausen.....JC has no business in the NFL. He does edge out Brady Quinn though.......so he has that going for him....which is nice

PS....Brady6....congrats on your big year......20 posts per day.

I can totally see how my backup QB choice on a 1-year/$630K contract would be the thing that stands out the most.

Thanks I had work over time to compensate for posts like this one..:). In general though commenting on my use of the board sarcastically or negatively, when you also use it is sort of like looking down on a fellow heroin addict because they shot up more times than you that day...

For the record though Ian merged my posts with an older account into this user name so it is actually not as great as you are giving me credit for.

I like the plan...but on top of those plans, I think we should do the following:

Sign Ben Tate, 4 yrs 22M. We can use another running back, we saw how many injuries we had this year. Vereen missed more than half the season, and BB is sure to bench Ridley for a few games for fumbling. Blount hasn't been in trouble for a few years, so we gotta figure a multi-week suspension is likely in 14.

Sign Hakeem Nicks, 3 yrs, 24M. Even with the re-signing of Julian Edelman and addition of Riley Cooper, we need a red zone target on the outside.

Sign Tight End Jimmy Graham for 6 yrs. 72M plus our next 2 first round picks. We saw how dynamic we were with Gronk and Hernandez, why not add Graham as Hernandez's replacement? Who could stop that. As for the first round picks, we will most likely blow this pick anyway, and with the influx of talent we will be picking #32 for sure next year.

Sign Eugene Monroe, 4 years 48M. We need insurance in case Vollmer goes down again. Can never have enough tackles and this will allow us to push Cannon to guard.

Sign Greg Hardy. 6 yrs 78M. Imagine Jones and Hardy rushing on the outside. OMG. How could any team even get a pass off?

Sign BJ Raji, 5 yrs 40M. Vince Wilfork #2. He can sit on the bench for a year and learn from the best and provide a great option should Wilfork be unable to come back from injury.

Sign Karlos Dansby, 3 yrs 20M. With the expected loss of Brandon Spikes, we need another LB to fill the void. Why not Dansby. Coming off a great season.

Sign Cornerbacks Brent Grimes 3 yrs 30M AND Alterraun Verner, 5 yrs. 38M. Why sign ONLY Talilb. Signing all three of these guys would finally give us a secondary that can stop another team, or least limit them to 40% conversions on third down and 300 yards.

Sign Safety TJ Ward, 4 yrs. 28M. We saw how hard he hits. We've been lacking a true hard hitting safety ever since Rodney Harrision left. He'd fit in great and solidify the back end of our D.

Sign Bernard Pollard, 1yr. 5M. Even If only to protect our current players from the inevitable injury he would cause if we played against him next season.

Otherwise, the only other move I'd make is to trade Ryan Mallett for the Houston Texans for the #1 overall pick and select Johnny Manziel. We need a QB of the future since Brady only has about 5 more years left. Let Manziel sit on the bench behind TB12 for those 5 years and when the time comes, he will be ready. We've already heard reports of his blooming relationship with TB12.

I agree with the restructures - I think Connolly and Gregory are possible for that route, as well.

I wouldn't cut Kelly unless I was certain the injury had ended it for him. You won't replace him (who he was before he got hurt) for that kind of money, plus he's good veteran leadership.

A. Wilson will likely get cut, but I wouldn't do it until I gave him a chance to show I had to cut him. The play in the Superbowl that most stands out to me is Kam Chancellor destroying Demarius Thomas very early on. Tone-setters are hard to find. If Wilson can't go, okay then, but there's no harm in taking the wait-and-see approach.

I don't like giving up on older players who have a desire to play. Miami paid a ton to get Ellerby, and Carlos Dansby outplayed him by a mile last year.

Also, is it possible that BB will move Jamie Collins to SS in certain sub-packages? if that's a possibility, we should grab another linebacker (we probably should anyway!).

Would love the FA's you mention, though I doubt we'll get Mack. I'm coming around on Talib and Edelman coming back, though, with the cap increase and Mankins hinting that he'd be open to restructuring.

Not crazy about Johnson, though - would rather either try to lock in Lamar Houston for a few years, or grab a Will Smith of Justin Tuck for a year.

If we retain Edelman, we don't need Cooper. Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Harrison, Moe...

Draft:
Round 1: I expect them to go DL here - Hageman, Nix...if Clinton-Dix is on the board, though, I'd be happy with that. FA grabs will affect this.
Round 2: I think they're going TE with their 2nd or 3rd pick (in which case, they'd have to somehow get a second pick in 2). The question is: do they go move, or in-line? I agree with ASJ.

No way Houston swaps #33 for Mallett. Can't see it. Would love it, but can't see it. I suspect the Pats won't get higher than a 4th, and won't sell lower than a high 3rd...unless it's part of a bigger package.

I wouldn't mind trading a couple of picks around, even pulling from 2015, to move up if there was someone they really wanted. Everyone's saying this is a helluva draft class.

I am not all for a safety at #29 either but it's been a need for so long and although I really like Harmon (I won't lie I even like Wilson) I am not sold that they can be the answer.

I'm thinking of all the years Belichick drafted DEs in the second or later, it was not until he took Jones in the first that we got a player that filled the need. So that is my philosophy with making the selection.

Kelly is a player I would bring back during the preseason on a non guaranteed contract.

I agree Gregory is underrated but if you overrated him he would not be worthy of carry the #20 cap hit of all safeties in the NFL. I would love to retain him but not at $3.7M, he has missed 6 of 32 regular season games, and he doesn't play special teams often. I just do not believe he gives us $3.7M more than Harmon.

This ignores the respective attributes of different players Jones worked out because he was an excellent prospect, not because he was a #1 pick. If you think Clinton-Dix is the best prospect to take there, then fine, but don't take him just because he's a #1 pick at a position you believe we need.

I like the plan...but on top of those plans, I think we should do the following:

Sign Ben Tate, 4 yrs 22M. We can use another running back, we saw how many injuries we had this year. Vereen missed more than half the season, and BB is sure to bench Ridley for a few games for fumbling. Blount hasn't been in trouble for a few years, so we gotta figure a multi-week suspension is likely in 14.

Sign Hakeem Nicks, 3 yrs, 24M. Even with the re-signing of Julian Edelman and addition of Riley Cooper, we need a red zone target on the outside.

Sign Tight End Jimmy Graham for 6 yrs. 72M plus our next 2 first round picks. We saw how dynamic we were with Gronk and Hernandez, why not add Graham as Hernandez's replacement? Who could stop that. As for the first round picks, we will most likely blow this pick anyway, and with the influx of talent we will be picking #32 for sure next year.

Sign Eugene Monroe, 4 years 48M. We need insurance in case Vollmer goes down again. Can never have enough tackles and this will allow us to push Cannon to guard.

Sign Greg Hardy. 6 yrs 78M. Imagine Jones and Hardy rushing on the outside. OMG. How could any team even get a pass off?

Sign BJ Raji, 5 yrs 40M. Vince Wilfork #2. He can sit on the bench for a year and learn from the best and provide a great option should Wilfork be unable to come back from injury.

Sign Karlos Dansby, 3 yrs 20M. With the expected loss of Brandon Spikes, we need another LB to fill the void. Why not Dansby. Coming off a great season.

Sign Cornerbacks Brent Grimes 3 yrs 30M AND Alterraun Verner, 5 yrs. 38M. Why sign ONLY Talilb. Signing all three of these guys would finally give us a secondary that can stop another team, or least limit them to 40% conversions on third down and 300 yards.

Sign Safety TJ Ward, 4 yrs. 28M. We saw how hard he hits. We've been lacking a true hard hitting safety ever since Rodney Harrision left. He'd fit in great and solidify the back end of our D.

Sign Bernard Pollard, 1yr. 5M. Even If only to protect our current players from the inevitable injury he would cause if we played against him next season.

Otherwise, the only other move I'd make is to trade Ryan Mallett for the Houston Texans for the #1 overall pick and select Johnny Manziel. We need a QB of the future since Brady only has about 5 more years left. Let Manziel sit on the bench behind TB12 for those 5 years and when the time comes, he will be ready. We've already heard reports of his blooming relationship with TB12.

:yawn:.....

This ignores the respective attributes of different players Jones worked out because he was an excellent prospect, not because he was a #1 pick. If you think Clinton-Dix is the best prospect to take there, then fine, but don't take him just because he's a #1 pick at a position you believe we need.

I was being facetious my friend, messing around. I would take Dix because I think he has the tools to be an excellent safety, specifically in the box, which I think would pair well with McCourty.

When I look at Seattle (not to take anything away from Sherman), I believe that the safeties are the reason that team is so successful against the pass. I feel we have our Earl Thomas in McCourty and if we can find a partner for him, it will completely change the defense, we will be able to use our LBs as blitzes more and play less cover 2.

Did some mad scientist make a mixed clone poster from DW Toys and Brady 6?

I got a couple items in to Jimmy Graham before realizing….

I was being facetious my friend, messing around. I would take Dix because I think he has the tools to be an excellent safety, specifically in the box, which I think would pair well with McCourty.

I think he fits better deep personally, doesn't really show the top notch instincts to put up in the box. As safeties go, it would be Jimmie Ward all the way for me. Plays equally well in run support and defending the pass. He doesn't have elite size, but then neither does Eric Weddle.

I wouldn't cut Kelly unless I was certain the injury had ended it for him. You won't replace him (who he was before he got hurt) for that kind of money, plus he's good veteran leadership.

I like Kelly also, but I think we can clear Kelly's cap hit and then bring him back in the preseason if he is healthy. He is 33 years old and coming off a significant injury and his last strong season was in 2011, so I do not think teams will be bidding for his services, he can be a Gerard Warren type edition. I do not see any reason to carry a $2.6M cap hit for him.

I do not know if he is a good leader, from what I heard he was a bit of a problem child in Oakland.

A. Wilson will likely get cut, but I wouldn't do it until I gave him a chance to show I had to cut him. The play in the Superbowl that most stands out to me is Kam Chancellor destroying Demarius Thomas very early on. Tone-setters are hard to find. If Wilson can't go, okay then, but there's no harm in taking the wait-and-see approach.

Wilson will turn 35 years old within the first 6 weeks of 2014s season, Chancellor is 25 years old, as much as I wish we had a 25 year old Wilson, we do not. My belief was that if Wilson was going to be a difference maker it had to be in 2013, a 35 year old safety return from a major injury who was already on the decline is very unlikely to help us.

I really think we need to get away from relying on these end of life veterans and find long-term solutions for these roles. We are turning over positions on a YOY basis, consistency and continuity cannot develop.

We need to get back to the day when we had consistent presences on our defense –
- Tedy Bruschi – 13 seasons
- Willie McGinest – 11 season
- Ted Johnson – 10 seasons
- Ty Law – 10 seasons
- Mike Vrabel – 8 seasons
- Richard Seymour – 8 seasons
- Ty Warren – 8 seasons
- Jarvis Green – 8 seasons
- Rodney Harrison – 6 seasons
- Eugene Wilson – 5 seasons
- Asante Samuel – 5 seasons
- Roman Phifer – 4 seasons

I don't like giving up on older players who have a desire to play. Miami paid a ton to get Ellerby, and Carlos Dansby outplayed him by a mile last year.

Dansby just turned 32 in November so his 2013 season was primarily played at age 31, and he was not coming off an injury.

Also, is it possible that BB will move Jamie Collins to SS in certain sub-packages? if that's a possibility, we should grab another linebacker (we probably should anyway!).

I agree on the LB addition, I was thinking a player like Pat Anger could be low risk high reward signing.

Would love the FA's you mention, though I doubt we'll get Mack. I'm coming around on Talib and Edelman coming back, though, with the cap increase and Mankins hinting that he'd be open to restructuring.

$6.5M APY would make Mack the third highest paid OC in the league, that is a solid payday and he gets to play for a winner, I could see it happening. I am hoping Lombardi has a connection to him and his agent.

Not crazy about Johnson, though - would rather either try to lock in Lamar Houston for a few years, or grab a Will Smith of Justin Tuck for a year.

I think Tuck is going to be looking for a crazy payday. Smith is just Andre Carter the 2.0 and I like Carter but I would really like to sign someone who can help the team for more than 1 maybe 2 seasons.

Houston is an interesting prospect, he can also move inside.

If we retain Edelman, we don't need Cooper. Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, Harrison, Moe...

I am going to hold off on the roster spot for TJ Moe and Mark Harrison until they makes it through an OTA session. In addition, I believe Thompkins was the 2013 version of Justin Francis and Sterling Moore, players that filled a need but lack the talent for a sustainable NFL career, my prediction is that Thompkins is cut at the end of the preseason.

Riley Cooper would give us a deep threat, he does not need to start or even play many snaps but he can be used to stretch the field, and I do not think he will come at a high cost. We need to add something to the WR lineup; essentially, you are relying on 2 UDFA who were on injured reserve last season to be the difference between 2013s corps and 2014s.

No way Houston swaps #33 for Mallett. Can't see it. Would love it, but can't see it. I suspect the Pats won't get higher than a 4th, and won't sell lower than a high 3rd...unless it's part of a bigger package.

I am not sure why you believe that, Mallett was a top 25 talent in 2011, and now he has been behind the GOAT for 3 season, he beat out Hoyer who was a starter in the NFL last season after just one season for the backup job. I think we all think Mallett is not worth that much because he does not play, but would you really expect him to overtake Tom Brady on the depth chart? He is the second best QB on the team Tom Brady plays on, are you not willing to give up the 33rd overall pick for the second best QB on a team that has Tom Brady? :D

Did some mad scientist make a mixed clone poster from DW Toys and Brady 6?

I got a couple items in to Jimmy Graham before realizing….

Hey, I fit mine under the cap, I was creative.. :D

UFAs
Alex Mack-
- 2014-4,500,000
- 2015-5,250,000
- 2016-5,750,000
- 2017-7,250,000
- 2018-8,250,000
- Total-31,000,000
Not even close.

Alex Mack - Cleveland Browns - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Impending free agent C Alex Mack is expected to test the open market.

Mack, 28, will likely be the Browns' top priority and could be franchise-tagged, but CEO Joe Banner may not believe in doling out that kind of cash to a center. Mack is going to be a hot commodity on the open market and is easily the top center available in free agency -- he graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 1 center in 2013. He'll probably aim for a deal similar to the one Ryan Kalil signed with the Panthers at six years and $49.1 million with $19 million guaranteed. Mack has previously said he'll give the Browns a chance to match any offer, though that was before the coaching staff was fired after one season. Jan 27 - 6:35 PM

Source: ESPN.com

Ryan Kalil - Carolina Panthers - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

8/19/2011: Signed a six-year, $49 million contract. The deal contains $28 million guaranteed, including an $18 million signing bonus. Kalil is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus in years two through six. 2014: $4.75 million, 2015: $5.366 million, 2016: $7.5 million, 2017: Free Agent

The deal I projected is $6.5M APY.

Top 10 APY Centers –
1. Ryan Kalil-$8,186,000
2. Nick Mangold-$7,725,000
3. Max Unger-$6,458,750
4. Eric Wood-$6,350,000
5. Chris Myers-$6,250,000
6. Scott Wells-$6,000,000
7. David Baas-$5,500,000
8. John Sullivan-$4,900,000
9. Nick Hardwick-$4,416,667
10. Samson Satele-$3,600,000

I would say an offer for $6.5M APY that puts him as the third highest paid OC in the league is close; I certainly would not make the statement “not even close” to describe it. Just because the Carolina Panthers overpaid for their center does not mean that Mack is going to be overpaid. Eric Wood signed for 4 years $25.4M this past August, Matt Unger received $6.48M in 2012, and Chris Myers received $6.25M APY in 2012. You ignore all of that and pick the #1 paid center in the league to highlight and then say “not even close”. Come on AT, what do you think Mack is going to get $9M? The average for a starting OC is $3.15M, Mack would be paid more than double that with the deal I proposed.

I like your thinking here. I agree with the last poster though who said Mack may cost a little more. I myself was eyeing Mack as a FA even though I feel it's probably more of a dream than reality. But the trouble I am having seeing Vince bouncing back from this injury to be worth a restructure leads me to believe he'll be cut outright, which along with the other cuts/restructures/extensions should allow us to afford Talib/Edelman/Mack, and a couple bargain signings. Blount I think might cost a little more than what you have listed, in which case I'd be okay with letting him walk. Otherwise be great to keep him for those #'s. I'd also do a move that may be quite unpopular here and that's signing Incognito, which would give us a line of Solder-Mankins-Mack-Incognito-Seabass. Or hope that Cannon is ready instead of taking a chance on Incognito.

Draft priorities I have as DE, DT, S, OG/C. Late round picks and UDFA on RB, TE, LB, WR and another pass rusher. Maybe a late round flier on a QB prospect. Would love to trade Mallet for a 2nd or 3rd.

That goes far beyond what I would consider an optimistic haul from this offseason Brady6. Half that haul would be decent.

That goes far beyond what I would consider an optimistic haul from this offseason Brady6. Half that haul would be decent.

Free agents AND draft picks.

Every time I see that Mankins cap hit, I cringe

Every time I see that Mankins cap hit, I cringe
Why? Mankins is arguably one of the best linemen in the game and certainly, if not the top Guard in the NFL. Put a competent CE next to him where he doesn't have to blow his assignment to provide help to Wendell and watch him truck Defensive Linemen. The number might be a little high (personally I wouldn't have gone as high as the Patriots did) but Mankins is one of those glue guys Belichick likes to pay.

0% chance ASJ is there in the 60's

Why? Mankins is arguably one of the best linemen in the game and certainly, if not the top Guard in the NFL. Put a competent CE next to him where he doesn't have to blow his assignment to provide help to Wendell and watch him truck Defensive Linemen. The number might be a little high (personally I wouldn't have gone as high as the Patriots did) but Mankins is one of those glue guys Belichick likes to pay.

I totally agree f Mankins plays out this contract, the Patriots will have paid him $58,940,000 for 13 season. Most of those seasons consisted of all pro play; it breaks down to around $4.55M per season, which is a damn good value in my opinion. That is the reason I did not restructure his deal as some have done, the cap space gained is not significant enough to inflate the 2015 and 2016 cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe