PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Marshall to the Jets

So far, Belichick's counter moves are to not pay Vince's bonus and re-sign LS Tyler Ott.

You'd think after the Pats just won another Super Bowl that people would realize a) that their roster-building strategy works, and b) that this team is really really good as is. Apparently I was too optimistic.

The Pats are still paying a good bit for last year. Eating half of Mankins' dead money and $4M of Revis 2014 money this year means that there's a bit less cap space to play with than you'd like. Almost a one Devin McCourty's worth less of cap room. It kinda sucks to see them swallowing that pill now, but it was clearly worth it. I don't see how any reasonable fan could complain.

Spiller is not about equal to McCoy at this point in their careers, NO!

and all of Suh's problems seems to be on the field, I have never heard anything bad about him in the locker room.

McCoy is not the dominant player he was two years ago. He is much closer to what a healthy Spiller would provide you.

Suh is not a good locker room guy....he does not disrupt a locker room internally but he spreads his goon mentality that punishes your team via infractions on the field. Plus, a environment like the city of Miami....I think you'll see a honeymoon period....and that will be that.

Wait wtf did disagree? I was agreeing with shmessy.

Lol, I just looked to see who disagreed with you only to see that it was me. I hit the wrong icon.

He's going to be better than Geno Smith.

Well, okay. But they could sign Brian Hoyer and that would be the case - it wouldn't leave me quaking in my boots. The good thing about Mariota going to the Jets would be that it will be similar to Sanchez and Geno, another 2 or 3 years wasted on developing a mediocre quarterback.

Wait wtf did disagree? I was agreeing with shmessy.

Perhaps he thought you were Jimke. Hey, Ivan fix that, man.

So far, Belichick's counter moves are to not pay Vince's bonus and re-sign LS Tyler Ott.
Of course you conveniently forgot about them locking up the best kicker in the league for another year.

Terrible! lol

Ivan ****ing wrecking this thread.

Obviously the jets need a quarterbacks and two corners. Normally, this is not possible, but we shall see. The jets have about $50M in cap space ($46M including Marshall; $56M if Harvin i cut).

Would everyone feel that they had no chance at the playoffs if they signed Hoyer and drafted Mariota. Even if they paid Hoyer $6M, that would leave then $40M or $50M depending on whether they kept Harvin. Obviously, the team COULD be even better if they cut Harvin and used the $10M on two other players, including a wide receiver to go with Marshall and Decker.

No, THIS YEAR, it is a bit too early to write off the jets from the playoffs. $56M can indeed buy a couple of corners, a wide receiver and a quarterback.

That's not saying much.

In order to improve dramatically on offense, the Jets just need to not suck at QB. They are also swimming in cap space. They could (not will, but could) make a huge jump in just one year, if the new HC/GM duo do things well.

People around here have taken to disparaging pretty much every NFL player that's not in a Patriots uniform. That's every bit as stupid as people proclaiming the Patriots are done because they haven't signed 14 all pros already.

Obviously the jets need a quarterbacks and two corners. Normally, this is not possible, but we shall see. The jets have about $50M in cap space ($46M including Marshall; $56M if Harvin i cut).

Would everyone feel that they had no chance at the playoffs if they signed Hoyer and drafted Mariota. Even if they paid Hoyer $6M, that would leave then $40M or $50M depending on whether they kept Harvin. Obviously, the team COULD be even better if they cut Harvin and used the $10M on two other players, including a wide receiver to go with Marshall and Decker.

No, THIS YEAR, it is a bit too early to write off the jets from the playoffs. $56M can indeed buy a couple of corners, a wide receiver and a quarterback.

Didn't the playoffs and the Super Bowl pretty much prove that alot of this all comes down to coaching and discipline?

Marshall is a very good weapon.

He was a very good weapon for Miami the two years he was THEIR big FA pickup.

The results still didn't change anything. They were 13-19.

Why is it strictly a short term move? He's 30, his contract isn't bad, and if they cut Harvin the net effect is that it actually saves money against the cap and costs them a net of a 5th and 6th instead of a 4th.

There's definitely some risk attached to the trade, but I think it's definitely preferable to rolling with Harvin, if that's the other shoe in this (which is being reported). I don't think this solves all of the Jets' problems or anything, but it doesn't really need to. They have enough cap space that this trade won't prevent them from doing anything that they really need to do.

Marshall will be 31 on March 23rd. He has a $7.9 million base salary next year and $8.3 million in 2017 and a free agent in 2018. He had a bad year last year. Could be signs of things to come.

The Jets are several years away. He will be 32-33 before the Jets have a shot to be good. That is an age a lot of WRs fall apart.

If I am the Jets, I am spending more of my money on free agents that won't be several years into their 30s when they have a shot of being a playoff contender.

Marshall will be 31 on March 23rd. He has a $7.9 million base salary next year and $8.3 million in 2017 and a free agent in 2018. He had a bad year last year. Could be signs of things to come.

The Jets are several years away. He will be 32-33 before the Jets have a shot to be good. That is an age a lot of WRs fall apart.

If I am the Jets, I am spending more of my money on free agents that won't be several years into their 30s when they have a shot of being a playoff contender.

I would agree if they were taking on guaranteed money as part of the deal, but they're not. If they need to free up the money and/or if he declines in the next 2 years, they can cut him and all it will have cost them is a 5th round pick. There's just not a ton of risk there. The one thing that would normally worry me--the opportunity cost of investing ~$8M in cap space that could go to someone else--doesn't even apply here since they'll be saving cap money if they cut Harvin.

And I don't think a rapid decline at age 32-33 is a foregone conclusion at all. WRs with Marshall's skills tend to age pretty well. Even once his speed goes, he'll still be a surehanded big body outside. Rather than worrying about physical decline, I'd be a lot more worried about his reputation as a mentally unstable locker room cancer who quits on teams. And if that manifests, they can just cut him without any dead money. At a bare minimum, he's a better gamble than Harvin.

I'm also not totally convinced that they're 3 years away from competing. If Bowles is good and they unearth a competent QB and draft some OL talent, they could be a competitive team pretty quickly. I don't think it'll happen, but this isn't the 2012 Jets that had no path to competitiveness within 2 years. Idzik cleaned up that mess pretty effectively.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back