PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler visiting Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan is in Tennessee.
Sheard (down year still solid player) went to Indy.
Hightower looks like he's set on leaving New England and Butler is packing his bags to move to New Orleans.

But Pats added Gilmore!

I don't see how - in any capacity - fbis defense is better than last years. And I personally didn't think last year's was all that great.

Gilmore is not better than butler in my eyes. At best, he's similar in skill as a player. They still haven't made up for the loss at CB2. Combined with Brady turnin 40 I don't like the direction Bill is taking.

Under no circumstances should Bill accept the #32nd pick. Makes no sense to do so.

If the Saints want Butler they can sign him to a big, unmatchable offer sheet and give us #11.

Otherwise, he can sign the tender, collect $4 mill and be "miserable" here for a year.

No reason at all to take back a higher pick when you have ALL the leverage.

Butler/Gilmore for a year is better than the #32.

So, people doubted that a team would pay Butler and give up a first round pick.

Thank you: a lot of egg on their faces now I hated that tender and feel a contending team would be stupid not be all over that no player in this Draft would make a Impact Butler would for a Team. Pats might end up getting a second when it's all said and done Trader Bill can't win em all.

Ryan is in Tennessee.
Sheard (down year still solid player) went to Indy.
Hightower looks like he's set on leaving New England and Butler is packing his bags to move to New Orleans.

But Pats added Gilmore!
If you're including Sheard you have to include Ealy and Guy also.

IDK, although I love Butler and would love to see him stay, replacing him with Gilmore and getting the 11th overall pick might ultimately be an upgrade to the team.

So why would Bill accept pick #32 when he's entitled to pick #11? Don't know what the trade chart says but maybe 32 + 42 + 2018 2nd may equal pick 11
That might work. Again I agree. We did not even get to use the fourth Rounder. BB knew this. So our #32 and our third rounder for Cooks was about right. BB knew the fourth rounder was sacrificed as in Chess.
Now I am thinking. Did BB go after Gilmore because he and Payton already had a wink-wink deal to get Butler to the Saints and Cooks to the Pats? So BB wanted to lock down the best FA CB long term which he did unlike the Pats M.O. and perhaps overpaid slightly, and immediately Butler became tradable between BB and Payton. These moves were choreographed months ago. It has always been our #32 goes no where.
So the deal actually was Malcom and our third for Cooks and their fourth.
Not as sweet as originally thought but I think the deal was all but consummated for some time.

DW Toys

Thank you: a lot of egg on their faces now I hated that tender and feel a contending team would be stupid not be all over that no player in this Draft would make a Impact Butler would for a Team. Pats might end up getting a second when it's all said and done Trader Bill can't win em all.

I rather keep him. What egg. The saints are about to commit robbery lol

How can you say that's not a win for tbe saints? I know bill loves value but damn. Saints can go defense with both those first rounders if they wanted.

I want 32 and their 2nd rounder!

I want more than 74pts difference from Cooks trade

590+480 = 1070

1070= #15 overall

So, people doubted that a team would pay Butler and give up a first round pick.

So far, no team has. If he goes to the Saints, and a 1st is involved, it's likely because it was part of an original deal involving swapping Cooks for Butler, and the need to make a deal prior to Cooks bonus coming do meant the teams had to make the deal in two stages.

So why would Bill accept pick #32 when he's entitled to pick #11? Don't know what the trade chart says but maybe 32 + 42 + 2018 2nd may equal pick 11

Sounds like they had a deal in mind when they traded for Cooks. Waited for Butler to sign the tender then trade.

Trade chart has #11 at 1250.

32 = 590
42 = 480
82= 180

Really curious what happened behind the scenes with Butler and his agent.

Would like to see us at least get another pick or player back

IDK, although I love Butler and would love to see him stay, replacing him with Gilmore and getting the 11th overall pick might ultimately be an upgrade to the team.
Of course it would but we won't be getting 1.11.

OK Cousins. The Browns want in?. How about Jimmy G and Butler for the Browns first pick this year, Browns #33 in the second round and their first pick and second next year. Would you do it?

The Browns know it will take two #1's for Jimmy which they are reluctant to do. But it will also take a first rounder for Butler. Good deal for both Teams.

Perhaps this as an alternative; Browns #1 in 2017 and 2018 and Joe Haden for Jimmy G and Malcom? Haden just finished groin surgery and has been playing hurt past two years. Still an All Pro resume.

browns.png
27 $11,100,000 $3,200,000 - $100,000 - $14,400,000 $10,400,000
browns.png
28 $11,100,000 $3,200,000 - $100,000 - $14,400,000 $3,200,000
browns.png
29 $10,400,000

DW Toys
Trade Jimmy G, Butler, and Gronk, for their entire 2017 draft?

So it would basically be....

Malcolm + 3th for Cooks + 4th (which makes no sense if BB loses it. Hes better off getting a 3rd or a 5th or whatever.)

I assume he needed the 4th to pay the piper.

Sad to see it get this far. Butler is the ultimate under dog story. The kid is tough as nails and I was really hoping to see him in a Pats uniform for a long time. While Gilmore may have more upside then Butler, does he have Butler's heart, toughness and desire? Butler (like Tom Brady) has a fire inside him that can't be measured. He has the "it" factor. We know how he'll respond under pressure.

Butler + Gilmore would have been the dream scenario. If Butler leaves we have a hole to fill at CB. Cyrus Jones hasn't looked close to the answer. Even if we draft a CB high you never know what you'll get.

At the end of the day in Bill I trust, but damn, I wish Butler would be a Patriot for a long time!

Once again it is currently a lot of speculation of something that isn't likely to happen UNLESS the current circumstances change.

1. If he doesn't sign the tender the ONLY way NO gets Bulter is if they make an offer and the Pats don't match, and give THEIR first round pick. I'm pretty sure that's how it reads in the rules. If you sign a RFA who has been tendered they get YOUR (11) first round pick, not A (32) first round pick. So until that tender is signed he's not going anywhere.

2. Now IF he signes the tender it becomes another story. While under NO obligation to trade him, the Pats now have that option. What would it take to get a probowl CB? I think the bidding STARTS at the 32nd pick. And personally I wouldn't do it for anything less than the #11th. And I can't imagine the Saints being dumb enough to do that.

3. So in the end, it's all about the drama and speculation. Now we have 2 players to obsess about during this white out. I'm done worrying about it any longer. If BB ever trades Butler for less than the 11th pick in the first round, than I will assume he has a lot lower grade for Malcolm that we do.....and he would know best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back