PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Calvin Ridley? No thanks. (EDIT: Signs With Titans)

Force Zero Boomer

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This is the guy they are targeting, a guy who quit on his team just 2 years ago, then quit on his team again the next year by gambling? Sounds like the kind of winner we want on the roster.

"Ridley may not represent a "true No. 1" receiver, but he's coming off a 76-reception, 1,016-yard, eight-touchdown season with Jacksonville after missing an entire season due to a gambling suspension. He had missed the bulk of the 2021 season while addressing his mental health, too.

Calvin Ridley, Jacoby Brissett reportedly Patriots' top targets to start free agency

I’m not sold on him. The talent is clearly there, but I don’t think the head is. As long as they don’t overpay for him and build in some clauses to cut his ass asap if he slips up. Doesn’t seem dependable.

I'd take him.

if he skids off course, cancel the bonus money then dump him

but otherwise, we need guys who can run routes/catch passes.... and he's fairly good at that

If the contract has iron-clad outs for gambling, or him needing “mental health breaks” I’m all for it as he certainly has talent. BUT…it’s fair to ask how much he really loves football given his history.

I kick the tires on Tee Higgins first though....

I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but we seem likely to take a QB at #3. We can plan to sit him for a year, but usually those guys end up earning playing time if they're any good. It's a tough thing to imagine that we draft a QB who is "the guy" yet he goes the whole year without leaving the coaching staff no choice but to play him over Zappe, Brissett or whoever.

A young QB needs respectable weapons and protection to avoid getting his confidence potentially killed. There aren't many FA options for weapons, Ridley is the best. On the OL the options aren't great either. Ideally, we can fill one of them at #34, but that relies on the draft board being good for it and the rookie panning out. Anything beyond that is risky to plan on a day 1 starter at a specific position.

So all in all, considering our roster holes and how much cap space we have, I think it probably makes sense to splurge for the best guy on the market even if I don't LOVE him.

Franchised
And DEMANDING a trade...

Wouldn't cost two first rounders now....we can sit out on this one until the trading deadline in October though....

This is the guy they are targeting, a guy who quit on his team just 2 years ago, then quit on his team again the next year by gambling? Sounds like the kind of winner we want on the roster.

"Ridley may not represent a "true No. 1" receiver, but he's coming off a 76-reception, 1,016-yard, eight-touchdown season with Jacksonville after missing an entire season due to a gambling suspension. He had missed the bulk of the 2021 season while addressing his mental health, too.

Calvin Ridley, Jacoby Brissett reportedly Patriots' top targets to start free agency
Glad your name ain't Wolf or Mayo now ride on cowboy there is nothing else to see .

Higgins will cost BIG money and a draft pick. He's demanding a trade out of Cincy as we speak. The front office hasn't spoken to his agent in over a year regarding an extension.

Last edited:
And DEMANDING a trade...

Wouldn't cost two first rounders now....we can sit out on this one until the trading deadline in October though....

Higgins will go to the highest bidder. Then that Team has to pay up for Higgins new contract.

Ridley turns 30 this season.

55% catch rate last season isnt that hot.

Higgins is going to cost you at least a first rounder. I would consider paying him top receiver money, but not top receiver money and a first round draft pick. If the Pats are going to have to give up that much. I would just try to manipulate the draft and see if they could move around to get a top WR in the draft.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back