PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Calvin Ridley? No thanks. (EDIT: Signs With Titans)

Justin Jefferson is a guy you pay. However, he's easily going to get over $30M and over $50M guaranteed.
And people here would still celebrate that we avoided an overpay in that scenario as well

My gut tells me in the end, Pats will be glad they lost out on Ridley. Like the EBay bidding that goes crazy and the buyer wakes up to " what have I done" with Ridley's baggage, I don't think he is worth the $92 million..
Ridley needs to send a thank you note to Mr. Wolf, for receiving money that I don't think he'll ever earn nearly the full value of. The Patriots were bidding against themselves until Tennesee swooped in. Ridley was never coming here unless Wolf got really stupid with the pursestrings.
I would be more than happy to see 25 million or more of Bologna Bob's cash go to someone who might be worth it. IMHO, Ridley isn't, wasn't or will be worth it.

No idea where you’re getting that impression. They were aggressively in on him and offered the most until he leveraged us against both Jacksonville and Tennessee and the Titans overpaid. Again, he used New England to get that deal - he was never coming here. But Wolf absolutely went all-in. And I’m sure he’s frustrated that Ridley wasted their time.
I think he might well have been coming here - but TN upped us. And it might have included some security provisions the Pats asked for instead of $50million in guarantees.

If the Pats had nabbed him at $22million, I'd have been happy (always want talent coming in) and nervous as hell, given the player's history.

But if they were ready to go 22 for Ridley, I think they're ready to pay. Or maybe I just HOPE they are, because that's what the big dawgs are going for.

Ridley needs to send a thank you note to Mr. Wolf, for receiving money that I don't think he'll ever earn nearly the full value of. The Patriots were bidding against themselves until Tennesee swooped in. Ridley was never coming here unless Wolf got really stupid with the pursestrings.
I would be more than happy to see 25 million or more of Bologna Bob's cash go to someone who might be worth it. IMHO, Ridley isn't, wasn't or will be worth it.
“Bologna Bob”?

He wants to be called “Thunder”.

Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory episode where Wolowitz is trying to sneak it into the minds of the other astronauts to call him “Rocket Man”, but they hear his mother talking to him in the background, and he instead gets stuck with “Fruit Loops”.

Bedard with a good analysis of the Ridley situation. A bit of it:
The Titans came out of nowhere over the top with $50 million guaranteed. No one around the league thought he would get north of $22 million. My sense is the breakdown came on the guaranteed money. I don't think the Patriots would ever go to $50 million for a 30-year-old receiver who sidelined himself with mental health issues in 2021, and was suspended for the 2022 season for gambling.

Bedard with a good analysis of the Ridley situation. A bit of it:
The Titans came out of nowhere over the top with $50 million guaranteed. No one around the league thought he would get north of $22 million. My sense is the breakdown came on the guaranteed money. I don't think the Patriots would ever go to $50 million for a 30-year-old receiver who sidelined himself with mental health issues in 2021, and was suspended for the 2022 season for gambling.
I hope Wolf gets in the Brandon Aiyiuk Sweepstakes.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back