PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Line hold up?

Mike Reiss on the offensive line:

But those close to the situation don’t expect the front-line personnel shortage to linger, with starters Trent Brown (undisclosed), Cole Strange (undisclosed left leg, knee injury) and David Andrews (undisclosed) getting closer to joining veteran Riley Reiff on the field, leaving starting right guard Mike Onwenu (still on the physically unable to perform list after offseason surgery on one of his ankles) as the biggest remaining question. Free agent addition Calvin Anderson is also working his way back on the non-football illness list.

This is relatively good news, especially for Calvin Anderson. Working his way back is much better than on his death bed or quarantined in the infections disease unit.

Is there a link? I could not find it.
If you are a serious fan, I highly recommend NFL+. They have replays, condensed replays, and all-22 of every single game.

Although the all-22 for the Texans still isn't up. here's the condensed replay (paywall)

Condensed replays are awesome; the whole game without commercials or commentary is 34 minutes.

I'm out of market, so I often end up only watching Pats games as condensed replays -- available same day as the game.

Just reviewed the first 2 series. Sow did indeed handle Anderson well in pass protection, mostly solo. Haven't reviewed further yet to see what went wrong later on

Last edited:
If you are a serious fan, I highly recommend NFL+. They have replays, condensed replays, and all-22 of every single game.

Although the all-22 for the Texans still isn't up. here's the condensed replay (paywall)

Condensed replays are awesome; the whole game without commercials or commentary is 34 minutes.

I'm out of market, so I often end up only watching Pats games as condensed replays -- available same day as the game.

Just reviewed the first 2 series. Sow did indeed handle Anderson well in pass protection, mostly solo. Haven't reviewed further yet to see what went wrong later on

Thanks Kasmir for the suggestion. I will sign up for a year and see if I like it. Have a great day.

???
If you think that the OL that played last night will be ready to be a solid OL for Game One, I have some Everglades investment recommendations for you.
Before my dad passed away in 94 he told me how he had invested in land in Florida. He bought 10 one acre lots for 2K each but after hearing horror stories and looking at a map he decided to cancel the deal the next day. Those 10 lots were in Naples.

Thanks Kasmir for the suggestion. I will sign up for a year and see if I like it. Have a great day.
The only issue that I have with NFL+ is that they automatically renew your subscription and charge your card every year. If you don't want to renew you'll have to go through a process to cancel before a certain date or you'll be charged. This year that date is September 10th. It is a great way to watch any game you want though. The condensed versions are fine.

They also have an archive of past games, though it didn't go back far enough for me to re-watch the Pats/Broncos game from 2003 (the intentional safety game).

Although this team has a very high floor with a great-looking defense and a revamped and improved offense and ST, too much is riding on lazy Trent Brown and happy feet QB Corky to view this team as a contender.

Although graced with the size, reach, and athleticism to be dominant, Trent Brown is lacking in other areas. If he only had half Matt Light’s brains and drive, he’d join Anthony Munez in Canton as one of the all-time greats.

And Plan B with Mister Anderson, which was shaky on its face, is up in the air right now. No one outside the organization has a clue what is going on there.

Left tackle—the second most important position after QB. And, no, safety is not more important. Unless you are daddy and want to keep the pipeline fresh for Stevie and Brian.

We’re stacked with good to wonderful safeties. In fact we’ll probably have to cut loose Joshua Bledsoe, who will find a home and prosper with another franchise. And I’m not talking Papa Johns.

Watching some replays of Thurs. OL play. It's clear that Ferentz and Russey are not up to the task.
Merely having D. Andrews play center and help clarify assignments will be a major step forward.
I think Sow can play - it was so often about confusion and missing assignments between he and Russey or Ferentz.
Also, I liked McDermott at RT, but he's just not a LT - and struggled with that side.
I have no idea about Reiff at RG - but I think we have to assume Onwenu will be out the first 6 weeks, so they better find out who's best there.

The o line was horrendous last year, I am not sure why this wasn’t the top priority. As well as people thought mondre did the majority of his yards were because he would break off a big run, there was no consistency and there were many games he was consistently met in the backfield. When people complained about Mac Jones not stepping up it baffled me as there was usually pressure from both the outside as well as the interior leaving nowhere to step up

Mister Anderson, do you have lyme disease?

A question that could be asked of him.

I can see LT holding this team hostage. All rests on Trent Brown’s health.

he was better than he played last year for whatever reason.

Wynn-Lose was forced to play out of position last season because of his league-worst offensive co-ordinating & line coaching; so not only was he lacking experience at Right Tackle but he also became mal-contented during a contract year. RT was also the position where he tore his Achilles' tendon during the 2nd game of his rookie pre-season, in case anyone forgot.

I always thought he would've been a better Left Guard than Left Tackle; but he was still the best we had out there during his 4 active years here, although, after Thuney walked, 2021 should've been the year to try a Mount Brown/Wynn-Lose LT/LG combination... might've mitigated the need to draft Strange69 the following year...

Last edited:
Wynn-Lose was forced to play out of position last season because of his league-worst offensive co-ordinating & line coaching; so not only was he lacking experience at Right Tackle but he also became mal-contented during a contract year. RT was also the position where he tore his Achilles' tendon during the 2nd game of his rookie pre-season, in case anyone forgot.

I always thought he would've been a better Left Guard than Left Tackle; but he was still the best we had out there during his 4 active years here, although, after Thuney walked, 2021 should've been the year to try a Mount Brown/Wynn-Lose LT/LG combination... might've mitigated the need to draft Strange69 the following year...
I agree.

Wynn should have been at LT and Brown at RT. Running behind Onwenu and Brown would have been great.
==========
We may not have much at OT this year, but replacing RT Wynn and swing OT Cajuste with Reiff and Sow has to be an improvement. And that doesn't even count any production from McDermott or Anderson.

The patriots have ways to help mask some of the deficiencies in the offensive line.
There is no doubt that we are running the ball a lot this year.
We should be somewhere near 30% RPO also.
The question becomes how much time does jones get on third and 7????

The patriots have ways to help mask some of the deficiencies in the offensive line.
There is no doubt that we are running the ball a lot this year.
We should be somewhere near 30% RPO also.
The question becomes how much time does jones get on third and 7????
In order to be successful this offense needs to avoid getting to third and 7. Last year it seemed like it was third and long every set of downs.

James Ferentz getting cleanly beat by Karl Brooks, who was in the backfield a lot.

I was impressed by Packers RT, Zach Tom. He stonewalled Judon.

Zach Tom was taken 140 in the fourth round last year and had nearly identical athleticism to Cole Strange. We took Pierre Strong in that draft three places ahead of Tom. He’s a guy who can play all five positions on the line. As a draft nerd, it still hurts.

Dante would have been all over this smart and versatile guy. This is the type of player we haven’t had since Karras.

Don’t get me started on the receiver the Patriots interviewed three times before the draft now with the Pack—Romeo Doubs.

James Ferentz getting cleanly beat by Karl Brooks, who was in the backfield a lot.

What a ****ing disgrace this ****ing pile of **** is. So much for the "meritocracy" eh Billy?

I was impressed by Packers RT, Zach Tom. He stonewalled Judon.

Zach Tom was taken 140 in the fourth round last year and had nearly identical athleticism to Cole Strange. We took Pierre Strong in that draft three places ahead of Tom. He’s a guy who can play all five positions on the line. As a draft nerd, it still hurts.

Dante would have been all over this smart and versatile guy. This is the type of player we haven’t had since Karras.

Don’t get me started on the receiver the Patriots interviewed three times before the draft now with the Pack—Romeo Doubs.

ZTom & RDoubs where they were taken >>>>>> Strange69 & BoneyT where they were taken.

Pats also could've gambled on goodness with former Penn State LT Rasheed Walker instead of Andy Stubby, who everyone with a brain already knew sucked before he ever set foot in Foxborough.

Last edited:
My first three picks this year would have been Michael Mayer (TE), John Michael Schmitt (someone we could toss at guard, allowing Onwenu to play RT where he is above average, then roll back to center after Andrews retires), and Charlie Jones (WR). Mayer and Jones would make great security blankets.

I also liked Friermouth and Pickens. I liked Kupp.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back