PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

X's & O's Chalk talk: Bills @ NE

RULES FOR THIS THREAD:
1) No attacking or criticizing fellow posters, the players, or the coaching.
2) Stick to breaking down plays, not criticizing performance, execution, or messing up.
3) It's ok to identify who blew a play or assignment, but stop right there.
4) It's ok to disagree with analysis from beat writers, but not to criticize them.
5) No coulda, woulda, shoulda, or Brady woulda's.
QB School coverage of Mac vs Bills

Reactions: PP2

Really good stuff. Does he do this every week, every Pats game?

Comment on the brain fart Mac had around the 12-13 minute mark where he just loses it on the footwork- it's typically an indication that he's dropped his eyes which is a bad habit he has. I'm sure they're working on him to get him to stop dropping his eyes because when the eyes go, the footwork goes to **** and he's in fight or flight mode.

One thing I really wish they would teach him is to just go down, just take the L on the snap. Stop being a hero.

Really good stuff. Does he do this every week, every Pats game?

Comment on the brain fart Mac had around the 12-13 minute mark where he just loses it on the footwork- it's typically an indication that he's dropped his eyes which is a bad habit he has. I'm sure they're working on him to get him to stop dropping his eyes because when the eyes go, the footwork goes to **** and he's in fight or flight mode.

One thing I really wish they would teach him is to just go down, just take the L on the snap. Stop being a hero.
Mac admitted exactly that in his post-game presser.

I think he drops his eyes when he is panicking, which he did on that play. JT commented on that too and said at times this year Mac has looked "broken" and he (JT) had not seen that panic from him before this year.

On the positive side, JT went out of his way to praise Mac's footwork this game. He and other commentators have commented that sloppy footwork from Mac this year has been a major contributor to his bad play.

He's clearly getting lots of coaching about his footwork. Dan Orlovsky said on air this week that he has been texting Mac about his footwork!

But I think it's all about Mac not losing composure: when he panics his technique goes to hell and he makes bad decisions too.

In his presser Mac also said he sometimes "gets too hot", which also suggests maintaining composure is a challenge for him.

Last Sunday was certainly encouraging, and showed that Mac can play at a high level if he can control his demons. Better OL play certainly helped, but I think Mac has to exorcise his panic demon if he is going to make it.

Last edited:

Or just throw it away. When was the last time Mac threw the ball away? I like his competitiveness, but on 1st or 2nd down it is OK to throw the ball away.

Mac admitted exactly that in his post-game presser.

I think he drops his eyes when he is panicking, which he did on that play. JT commented on that too and said at times this year Mac has looked "broken" and he (JT) had not seen that panic from him before this year.

On the positive side, JT went out of his way to praise Mac's footwork this game. He and other commentators have commented that sloppy footwork from Mac this year has been a major contributor to his bad play.

He's clearly getting lots of coaching about his footwork. Dan Orlovsky said on air this week that he has been texting Mac about his footwork!

But I think it's all about Mac not losing composure: when he panics his technique goes to hell and he makes bad decisions too.

In his presser Mac also said he sometimes "get too hot", which also suggests maintaining composure is a challenge for him.

Last Sunday was certainly encouraging, and showed that Mac can play at a high level if he can control his demons. Better OL play certainly helped, but I think Mac has to exorcise his panic demon if he is going to make it.

Yeah you can see it when he gets hot; his feet gets happy.

Terrific that. The play at 11:00 is one that I think offers the biggest upside and it's what a certain #12 used to do. Stand in the pocket and be patient - had he done that, the receiver is open and looks likely to score, let alone convert the 3rd down.

Fingers crossed for more improvement this Sunday.

! I was thinking he needs something like Adderall which is no doubt against the rules.

Beta blocker would do it - blocks the fight or flight response - keeps you ice calm. Only banned in certain sports like golf, shooting and ski jumping. Most classical music performers use them (dirty secret of the industry).
But does come at a cost - decreases maximum heart rate, so slightly limits athletic performance.

Back to X's and O's, please.

Before this thread gets derailed.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents