PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Champions League 2008/9

UEFA probrably wanted a guarantee an English side would go out.

UEFA probrably wanted a guarantee an English side would go out.

Man, that's way too paranoic. Having 4 English sides and 4 ties the odds were two of them would meet each other.

After all, this draw is the best it could happened to them. All English sides avoided playing against Barcelona, probably the only team able to beat them. Even more, Barcelona will face Bayern, so English teams got the weakest rivals! Now it's almost guaranteed that there will be 3 English sides in the Semifinals.

Man, that's way too paranoic.

Tongue in cheek.

To be honest with you I would rather have faced Barca or a different team as I'm sick of us having to play Chelsea. This is something like the fifth time in a few years.

Yeah, I also would like a different rival for Liverpool (not Barcelona, that was my dream final).

Manchester United must be happy with that draw... they have a ridiculously easy way to Rome... :(

The thing I love about the competition is facing the continental teams and different football cultures coming together, also the fans. Athletico Madrid fans were fantastic when they came to Liverpool, around the city and in the stadium. It's a bit of an anticlimax for me when we play another english team.

I think United will be delighted with the draw but I'm hoping Porto show the stuborness and difficulty they have shown us and Chelsea in the past. They have got this far so I'm hoping they are worthy as I haven't seen them too much this season. Also United have the first leg at Old Trafford I think, which teams hate so hopefully it will be more difficult than they would like it to be.

The thing I love about the competition is facing the continental teams and different football cultures coming together, also the fans. Athletico Madrid fans were fantastic when they came to Liverpool, around the city and in the stadium. It's a bit of an anticlimax for me when we play another english team.

I think United will be delighted with the draw but I'm hoping Porto show the stuborness and difficulty they have shown us and Chelsea in the past. They have got this far so I'm hoping they are worthy as I haven't seen them too much this season. Also United have the first leg at Old Trafford I think, which teams hate so hopefully it will be more difficult than they would like it to be.

I just hope that the last couple of United results are a bit of a blip. I can see us beating Porto, but am not sure after that. I think the Quintuple is highly unrealistic. Much as it pains me to say it, Liverpool are playing the better Football at the moment and have a good chance of taking the league. I would also back you to beat Chelsea.

On a different note, I am currently reading all 10,000 pages of the "Patsfans.com moderators' handbook" to see if posting United 1 Liverpool 4 incurs a permanent ban. I think it may fall under "insulting a moderator" :p

I just hope that the last couple of United results are a bit of a blip. I can see us beating Porto, but am not sure after that. I think the Quintuple is highly unrealistic. Much as it pains me to say it, Liverpool are playing the better Football at the moment and have a good chance of taking the league. I would also back you to beat Chelsea.

On a different note, I am currently reading all 10,000 pages of the "Patsfans.com moderators' handbook" to see if posting United 1 Liverpool 4 incurs a permanent ban. I think it may fall under "insulting a moderator" :p

It could be just a bad run or maybe the trip to Japan is catching up a little. Ferguson will snap them out of it though. You lot still have that game in hand on us for the league and thats a massive game for United, all we can do is hope you lose or draw it and keep fighting. We can beat Chelsea but it's going to be a really difficult game, Hiddink has them organised and more difficult to beat now than when we played them under Scolari.

My sig is staying there till I get bored of it.....which could be a few more months yet. :D

Last edited:
It could be just a bad run or maybe the trip to Japan is catching up a little. Ferguson will snap them out of it though. You lot still have that game in hand on us for the league and thats a massive game for United, all we can do is hope you lose or draw it and keep fighting. We can beat Chelsea but it's going to be a really difficult game, Hiddink has them organised and more difficult to beat now than when we played them under Scolari.

My sig is staying there till I get bored of it.....which could be a few more months yet. :D

True re Fergie. We'll see.

As for the sig, Harumph! BTW, are you also Scouse Patriot on Ukpatriots?

True re Fergie. We'll see.

As for the sig, Harumph! BTW, are you also Scouse Patriot on Ukpatriots?

The old hairdryer was well in force I bet...

No bud, I'm not a member there. Must be an impostor!

The old hairdryer was well in force I bet...

No bud, I'm not a member there. Must be an impostor!

I can't believe we beat Villa like that yesterday! I'm really torn about Ronaldo. He's a world class player but I hate his arrogance, selfishness and ego. I really dislike him and think we should take the money for him. It would be better for United in the long-term...

I can't believe we beat Villa like that yesterday! I'm really torn about Ronaldo. He's a world class player but I hate his arrogance, selfishness and ego. I really dislike him and think we should take the money for him. It would be better for United in the long-term...

I was gutted when the lad popped the winner in. Uniteds back four yesterday was really there to be raped and you could see it when Villa came forward but O'Neil bottled it, took Milner off and went into a hole. Shows the character thats there though, both of us really pulled it out the bag this weekend.

Can't stand Ronaldo either but like you say he is a world class player who is capable of anything. If the deal had gone through at the time and he had of become a Liverpool player I think I'd be liking him though :D He shown alot of petulance yesterday but it sums him up with the fact he scored two very important goals. He was nowhere to be seen against us though apart from his penalty.

Quarter Final: 1st Leg

Manu 2-2 Porto
Villarreal 1-1 Arsenal
Liverpool 1-3 Chelski :eek:
Barcelona 4-0 Bayern Munich

Porto were very good at OT.
Arsenal favs to go through.
After taking the lead, poor defending costs L'pool. Chelsea hot favs.
Easy Barca!! :D

Phew. That was a lot closer than I would have wanted. United dominated the first half but Porto got back into it after half-time.

Fantastic game last night. Nothing further to add, except to express my condolences to those who are still grieving following Hillsborough.

Quarter Final,2nd Leg Scores

Chelsea 4-4 Liverpool, Chelsea go through 7-5 (What a game!)
Bayern Munich 1-1 Barcelona, Barcelona go through 5-1

Chelsea V Barcelona in the first SemiFinal

Porto 0-1 Manu, Manu go through 3-2 (What a goal!)
Arsenal 3-0 Villarreal, Arsenal go through 4-1

Manu V Arsenal in the second SemiFinal.

Manu v Barca final, I think. :eek:
Barca to win it, I hope. :D

The Chelsea-Liverpool and Man U-Porto matches were two of the best I've seen this season.

Man U always seems to pull it out, but Arsenal is playing very well right now (especially w/ Fabregas back). I think Barca beat Chelsea pretty easily, and Arsenal-Man U is going to be a great pair of matches.

Our first leg performance gave us too much to do. Can only blame ourselves for going out.

Barca better had win the competition.

Last edited:
Half Time
Barcelona 0-0 Chelsea
Barca have had all the posession, but Drogba should have scored for Chelsea.
Chelsea playing it very tight. Space will open up in the 2nd half for Barca to exploit.

Pretty dull game to be honest, with the football Barca have been playing this season i expected more. Especially after Hiddink's comments promising that Chelsea would play free flowing football.

Hopefully the game tomorrow is better, but all English ties dull me in the CL.

Full Time
Barcelona 0-0 Chelsea
Not a very good game, and Chelsea got what they came for, a draw. They were strong and resilient in defence. Too many times Barca tried to be too clever. A more direct approach would have helped at times. They missed the best chances in the half though.
Hard to say who are favourites now. Barca, just, maybe.

Chelsea were never going to set up any other way, excactly how they did against us first leg. Guardiola's job was to counter that with making more use of the wide areas and getting croses in but they tried the fancy stuff all too often and it ended up going nowhere.

One of the crosses they did put in should have been buried by Bojan, absolutely criminal not to score there at any level of the game.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back