PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defending the RPO (run/pass option

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsGuy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The Eagles have used the RPO particularly with Wentz but also now with Foles. I don’t see Philly changing up a whole lot in the SB, so how does Patricia stop it?

The Eagles have used the RPO particularly with Wentz but also now with Foles. I don’t see Philly changing up a whole lot in the SB, so how does Patricia stop it?
It’s not that complicated. It’s just playing sound defense. Essentially it’s defending a run or a play action pass. The fact that the QBs decides during the play rather than before doesn’t change defensive principles.

HOWEVER Foles has not played a lot this year, but he has played enough to see his tendencies on film. B.B./MP will no doubt be able to see how Foles thinks and digests what he sees on RPO plays which means B.B./MP will disguise what they are doing to take advantage of that.
I expect a number of stuffed runs as we show Foles a look he will want to run into but expect him to do exactly what he does as well as him pulling the ball back and not having that first look open as he expected. Could easily see a pick or 2 coming out of that.

D needs to understand the 'reads" before committing, and needs to disguise the look given to Foles, forcing him to think, not react.

Defending the RPO isn't exactly brain surgery, play assignment football, fill the gaps and don't take the cheese. For a team built on the 'Do Your Job' concept it shouldn't be all that hard.

It's not just one thing. Otherwise it would be predictable. I can see us playing off coverage a little to keep the receivers in front of the D. The ends will probably not commit to rushing and just be disciplined. The real pressure will come from the middle to prevent the backs from running downhill. Our CBs are good tacklers so if the D can make Ajayi and Blount run sideways, our CBs should be able to provide run support. The one thing they don't want to do is to let the WRs get behind them.

I also wonder if RPO is susceptible to corner blitzes. Just that moment the QB has to spend reading the D could result in a sack.

If the Pats D knows what keys Foles is reading, they can feed him that key and then configure the rest of the defense to stop what his key-read is telling him to do.
And given the amount he has played there is just enough film to pick apart how he reads it and not enough experience to deviate.

I think in the past BB has gone with 3 DTs (5 man front,) to stop the run option, and turn the qb into a pocket passer. Isn’t this what he did against guys like Tebow in the past?

Can Foles beat our secondary as a pocket passer?

Force him to hand it off on every RPO play. If he keeps it, he get buried. If he hands it off, he still gets buried (assuming the force player is close enough to not get a penalty).

Who's their backup right now? If they want to put their starter in the position of being tackled on pretty much every play, I say take them up on that and see how long he can withstand the punishment.

Posted this in the Xs and Os thread..

This RPO business is wildly overrated. You'd think it was some new trend or something BB's Ds are poor in defending.

It's amazing what the media can do when they get fixated on something. The last time I saw NE struggle with an RPO-based offense, outside of early in a season or a first time facing a QB, was MAYBE November 2011 in the first half vs Tebow.

I realize that was more of a Wildcat look, but it's sort of the same kind of thing and how you defend it is pretty much the same.

1. The front needs to blast into the backfield.
2. Always take the guy who has the ball because 9/10 the QB keeps it.
3. In the secondary or at the LB level, do not take the cheese.

But, it's all a dog and pony show and a gimmick. It's so NCAA, and honestly, if this is what you have to have to run your offense in the NFL, you're in trouble against a good D.

So tired of these gimmicks that pop up where coaches think it somehow can sustain at the NFL level. I would have been more concerned if Wentz was playing in this one than Foles.

Saw an Eagles fan at PFT.com say that the "blueprint" was out o the Pats D from Week vs KC.

LMAO

The delusion is pretty high. Philly's offense better have another gear that just running a read option offense in a SB.

I think in the past BB has gone with 3 DTs (5 man front,) to stop the run option, and turn the qb into a pocket passer. Isn’t this what he did against guys like Tebow in the past?

Can Foles beat our secondary as a pocket passer?

This is why I keep saying the 3-4 is sort of important, but BB is the coach here. Does Alan Branch get activated, or is it just a smallish 3 man front instead?

I’m just worried that our abysmal linebacker unit is going to get torn to shreds.

Defending the RPO isn't exactly brain surgery, play assignment football, fill the gaps and don't take the cheese. For a team built on the 'Do Your Job' concept it shouldn't be all that hard.

Exactly. I don't really understand why this gimmick offense is getting so much traction in the media.

NE has seen everything under the moon, and Philly best have another gear on offense than what they've shown.

the easiest way to stop the option is to lay the option qb out. hit him so hard he would want to run with it again.

I’m just worried that our abysmal linebacker unit is going to get torn to shreds.

Are you Tony Mazz?

"Abysmal"?

Explain, please.

Chung is essentially a linebacker here. So, you have Van Noy and Flowers as your other key figures in the alignment, and he's probably the best in the league in that Rover role. You have an issue with these good players? Why?

Flowers is arguably the fastest LB in the league and has taken over that McClellin role very well. We miss McClellin, but thankfully our greatest GM ever, was thinking ahead with regards to McCellin's concussion being an issue, and we now have a guy playing that role well. We'll need him again on Sunday.

Do you watch these games?

Van Noy would be Pitt's best LB right now, yet all we hear about is how great Pitt's' LBs are, and then I watch their games and they suck.

The thing that worries me very much: Nick Foles may be only QB goofier looking than Eli Manning.

the easiest way to stop the option is to lay the option qb out. hit him so hard he would want to run with it again.
But it’s not a triple option play, its a handoff or pass option.

Just to be clear here, I don't think the Eagles are really a triple threat run/pass/keep team. It's not that Foles is that big a threat to run at all. So their RPO is simply a run/pass decision that is made after the snap rather than before. Foles has one or more keys that help him make the decision. If we figure out what those keys are we can screw with his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe