PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussion on Jerod Mayo candidacy as HC

Given the Tom E Curran story that the Krafts decided to move on from Bill after the Germany game, I don't think it's too early to start talking about Jerod Mayo and his candidacy for the HC of the NEPs. I have started going thru things in my own mind and thinking why (and why not) he might be a good fit, and I didn't want to bury it in the "might as well bring Bill back" thread.

Pros:
Younger: by a lot, at 37. He'd be the youngest HC in the NFL, a month-ish younger than McVey, a full three years younger than McDaniel in Miami. I think coming from Belichick, going from the old guy to the young guy is going to be a breath of fresh air in the locker room, he's barely removed from playing age, there's still 9 guys on the roster in their 30s, so Mayo would be relatable.
Familiarity: The Krafts know Mayo better than any other candidate, IMO. Drafted in '08, retired after '15, and coaching here since '19. He has had his entire career here in Foxboro. Lives in North Attleboro, roots are in the area.
Race: Checks the boxes for the Rooney Rule. Possibly more in tune with current racial climes.
Media familiarity: Did Quick Slants with Curran. Fair bet to think he won't play the Belichick card re: media and be his own man.

Cons:
Experience: He has not been there, done that, like Bill had when he arrived here. Does not come with a boat named ______ Rings.
Limited exposure: He has not been anywhere but Foxboro, so the likelihood of him having a big network of guys to call on to coach and fill out his staff might be a problem. Could be a positive, not getting "Bill's guys".
Not a GM: If you hire Mayo, you most assuredly need to bring in a GM. I am assuming that the Krafts already have that guy lined up.
Not an offensive guy: I am not sure that matters to the Krafts as much as it matters here on PFs.

The youth thing is intriguing, but it is a double edged sword: He's relatable to the players, and brings a fresh outlook. A young guy could possibly end up having a "gee wiz" type moment we saw McVey have vs Bill in the Super Bowl. From my desk, I really wish he'd been anywhere else and had a non-Patriot experience somewhere. With that said, you have to figure he's going to be his own man. He's young enough to have his own thoughts on how to handle stuff, and old enough to recognize some of the things he liked and didn't like about how Bill runs things.

All this assumes that Mayo is only the HC. My bottom line is whoever the new GM is just as important, if not more so. If the Krafts brought in an offensive minded GM and if Mayo is a defensive minded coach (we assume he is), then the two of them would balance out. I think the GM hire is going to be the key going forward.
Great post, you make great pros and cons.. as there is with every coaching hire. I look at this in totality. RK cares about the optics, how the new England patriots are perceived. Mayo is the perfect guy to be a face of the patriots into the post BB era. Someone in my opinion who respects and admires Bill but isn't trying to replicate him such as others have. He's his own man and will create his own lane. It does not bother me that he's a defensive coach if.. we can just get the right QB in here all that matters is how Mayo coaches the team. We had a great defensive coach for 23 seasons I'd say he did ok.

I thought of exactly that as soon as I hit post.
Yep.

If you talk to old school Cowboys fans they didn't have an issue with replacing Landry (as they had 3 tough years in a row) it was more about how he was replaced.

I still maintain it's time to move on from Bill but if Kraft treats him like poop i'll be pretty pissed.

Last edited:
I think it's also possible that we may be in for more than one coaching and QB cycle as they figure this out. It's rare it all works out on the first try, so I feel like we might want to buckle up for some frustration ahead. This isn't going to be as smooth as I think most of us hope and given what we've seen around the league (and obviously, even here), I think we're in for a bumpy ride.
I am not so sure of that. I think they want to emulate what the Rooney's have done. Noll to Cowher to Tomlin. We all like to throw shade on Tomlin here at PF, but there was stretch this year that just about everyone went Eh? Maybe he isn't so bad. To your point, I think the QB is the key. The Steelers went from Bradshaw and a bunch of dudes before Big Ben showed up. They had very good success under him, he just happened to play in the same conference as Brady and Manning. Throw out Flacco, and from 2001 to 2018, one of the three were in the Super Bowl. My point is that the HC is secondary to the QB. If the franchise saddles the next guy with Zappe/Mac and TBD, then we can expect to be bad for a while. If they get a winner in Williams/Maye/Daniels or whoever they draft, then they will be in business.

I know a bunch of people got to the QB>HC thing and ...
Jon Stewart Reaction GIF

Last edited:
I still maintain it's time to move on from Bill but if Kraft treats him like poop i'll be pretty pissed.
I think they realize that he's an important part of the history and the brand. If he gets treated like ass, it'll be because Bill didn't give them an out.

The issue with Mayo is who is the coaching staff he’s bringing with him? He’s only known New England since he’s entered the NFL. Bill has small staff with a bunch of “Bill” guys. The team needs a makeover so if Mayo becomes coach is he keeping some of the current coaches? If so forget it, get someone else. Now if he’s gonna go after non-Patriot coaches who can he attract, especially on the offensive side of the ball?

I’m not so sure at this point with the team needing a makeover if Mayo is the right guy. His roladex of coaches are guys who are already here and we want to move on from.

Yep.

If you talk to old school Cowboys fans they didn't have an issue of replacing Landry (as they had 3 tough years in a row) it was more about how he was replaced.

Agreed.
I think those two successful men have a fond affection for each other. I believe RK does something special for Bill guys dedicated his life to what he loves. It usually never ends like people want. I can't think of many HCs that went out on top. Maybe Bill cowher in 06 after winning a superbowl?

I'm not opposed to a defensive HC. Mayo has a good mix of leadership qualities & Xs and Os experience. Stroud is having one of the best rookie QB seasons of all time with a defensive HC & one of Mayo's contemporaries in DeMeco Ryans.

These questions are more important towards Mayo's candidacy and I don't know how one would know the answers to them:

1. Would Mayo work with a GM to modernize the pats' roster construction - no more reaches, passing on positions of need at important positions, overspending on depth, etc.

2. Would Mayo empower a new OC to revamp the patriots offense - this scheme is not player friendly towards young WRs and does not put an emphasis on speed

If the answers to the above are yes, sign me up. If the answers involve matt groh & bill o'brien in charge I'm not sure how much would change from moving on from bill.

The issue with Mayo is who is the coaching staff he’s bringing with him? He’s only known New England since he’s entered the NFL. Bill has small staff with a bunch of “Bill” guys. The team needs a makeover so if Mayo becomes coach is he keeping some of the current coaches? If so forget it, get someone else. Now if he’s gonna go after non-Patriot coaches who can he attract, especially on the offensive side of the ball?

I’m not so sure at this point with the team needing a makeover if Mayo is the right guy. His roladex of coaches are guys who are already here and we want to move on from.
Yeah, I'm fine with Mayo... but I'm more worried about who he hires as OC.

Given the Tom E Curran story that the Krafts decided to move on from Bill after the Germany game, I don't think it's too early to start talking about Jerod Mayo and his candidacy for the HC of the NEPs. I have started going thru things in my own mind and thinking why (and why not) he might be a good fit, and I didn't want to bury it in the "might as well bring Bill back" thread.

Pros:
Younger: by a lot, at 37. He'd be the youngest HC in the NFL, a month-ish younger than McVey, a full three years younger than McDaniel in Miami. I think coming from Belichick, going from the old guy to the young guy is going to be a breath of fresh air in the locker room, he's barely removed from playing age, there's still 9 guys on the roster in their 30s, so Mayo would be relatable.
Familiarity: The Krafts know Mayo better than any other candidate, IMO. Drafted in '08, retired after '15, and coaching here since '19. He has had his entire career here in Foxboro. Lives in North Attleboro, roots are in the area.
Race: Checks the boxes for the Rooney Rule. Possibly more in tune with current racial climes.
Media familiarity: Did Quick Slants with Curran. Fair bet to think he won't play the Belichick card re: media and be his own man.

Cons:
Experience: He has not been there, done that, like Bill had when he arrived here. Does not come with a boat named ______ Rings.
Limited exposure: He has not been anywhere but Foxboro, so the likelihood of him having a big network of guys to call on to coach and fill out his staff might be a problem. Could be a positive, not getting "Bill's guys".
Not a GM: If you hire Mayo, you most assuredly need to bring in a GM. I am assuming that the Krafts already have that guy lined up.
Not an offensive guy: I am not sure that matters to the Krafts as much as it matters here on PFs.

The youth thing is intriguing, but it is a double edged sword: He's relatable to the players, and brings a fresh outlook. A young guy could possibly end up having a "gee wiz" type moment we saw McVey have vs Bill in the Super Bowl. From my desk, I really wish he'd been anywhere else and had a non-Patriot experience somewhere. With that said, you have to figure he's going to be his own man. He's young enough to have his own thoughts on how to handle stuff, and old enough to recognize some of the things he liked and didn't like about how Bill runs things.

All this assumes that Mayo is only the HC. My bottom line is whoever the new GM is just as important, if not more so. If the Krafts brought in an offensive minded GM and if Mayo is a defensive minded coach (we assume he is), then the two of them would balance out. I think the GM hire is going to be the key going forward.
I mean the biggest cons right now for him are

1. Bill Belichick's assistants have been failing in the NFL for years and have been giant flops. Not saying Mayo can't be the exception. But you are still talking about a guy coming from a pipeline where the products aren't proving to be effective at the role of HC

2. He's a defensive coach in a league where frankly the offensive coaches are having most of the success because that is where the league is tilted. The defensive coaches are the one off exceptions and they aren't showing much consistency at the highest level.

3. He's a defensive coach that will come in with priority number 1 of building and coaching an offense which has been ineffective for 5 years.

4. The experience piece. I don't know if you trust him to have the full level of GM control now. And imo if you bring in a GM, you kinda need to let him pick the HC to have a chance. Otherwise you are inviting conflict

I wonder how the "following a legend" thing plays out? Think there's guys that say eff that, I am not following that guy.

I think it would be easier for a young guy like Mayo vs. a head coach from somewhere else with a track record. That said, I'd be happy with the likes of Vrabel. Concerns about "a defensive-minded head coach in today's NFL" can be addressed with the right OC and offensive staff.

Personally, I'm neutral on Mayo. Aside from the defense being generally competitive -- supposedly due at least in part to his influence -- what has he REALLY done to distinguish himself? As far as I know there isn't much else to hang a hat on beyond praise from Kraft and anecdotes of him being well-liked by players.

I've said it before, but I'm not against it. I think a perfect pairing would be Mayo and an innovative OC, with the idea of also cultivating and creating continuity around him. That's something that was severely lacking here at the end of McDaniels' tenure, especially after he poached the staff. That needs to be a bigger priority (coaching development and continuity) for the next regime.
Reasons an innovative OC might snub a Kraft offer:

Talent sucks.
Starting QB will inevitably be one of the team's current JAGs, a veteran JAG, or a rookie.
Hitching his wagon to a defensive minded rookie HC with zero track record could be viewed as a potential career killer.
Owner is tight with the purse.

Sadly, at this point in time, I can't think of one viable reason an innovative, highly regarded, highly sought offensive guru would choose NE .......unless......he is offered HC.

And lets assume for schitts &giggles Kraft does lure such an offensive guru to NE and this innovator turns the O around..........
With absolute certainty, this guy will be hired away in a flash to be some other team's HC and NE will be left spinning on the hamster wheel once again........ with a defensive coach still at the helm.....and the QB of the future who will likely be drafted this year will lose any continuity developed the last guy.

Such a tough call for Kraft
His choices are: Going half in (Mayo)........or All IN (new regime)

He has never ran his own defense.

Obviously no head coach experience leading a whole NFL team.

Kraft has never hired a HC without prior HC experience.

Tuna - Giants HC
Carrol - Jets HC
BB - Browns HC

I think it would be easier for a young guy like Mayo vs. a head coach from somewhere else with a track record. That said, I'd be happy with the likes of Vrabel. Concerns about "a defensive-minded head coach in today's NFL" can be addressed with the right OC and offensive staff.

Personally, I'm neutral on Mayo. Aside from the defense being generally competitive -- supposedly due at least in part to his influence -- what has he REALLY done to distinguish himself? As far as I know there isn't much else to hang a hat on beyond praise from Kraft and anecdotes of him being well-liked by players.
I am where you are, at least I think I am. I think he's young enough to be his own man and not have the stink of Bill on him like so many have had. Beyond that, his youth is certainly against him.
Reasons an innovative OC might snub a Kraft offer:

Talent sucks.
Starting QB will inevitably be one of the team's current JAGs, a veteran JAG, or a rookie.
Hitching his wagon to a defensive minded rookie HC with zero track record could be viewed as a potential career killer.
Owner is tight with the purse.

Sadly, at this point in time, I can't think of one viable reason an innovative, highly regarded, highly sought offensive guru would choose NE .......unless......he is offered HC.

And lets assume for schitts &giggles Kraft does lure such an offensive guru to NE and this innovator turns the O around..........
With absolute certainty, this guy will be hired away in a flash to be some other team's HC and NE will be left spinning on the hamster wheel once again........ with a defensive coach still at the helm.....and the QB of the future who will likely be drafted this year will lose any continuity developed the last guy.

Such a tough call for Kraft
His choices are: Going half in (Mayo)........or All IN (new regime)
Well, thanks.
I Want To Die The End GIF by SWR3

He has never ran his own defense.

Obviously no head coach experience leading a whole NFL team.

Kraft has never hired a HC without prior HC experience.

Tuna - Giants HC
Carrol - Jets HC
BB - Browns HC
Tuna was hired by Orthwein.

If we're gonna move on from Bill, just cut lose with all BB strings. Mayo would be a continuation of BB in some sort of capacity, whether it's culture, teaching/coaching philosophy, etc.

If Kraft wants continuity, just keep Bill.

If we're gonna move on from Bill, just cut lose with all BB strings. Mayo would be a continuation of BB in some sort of capacity, whether it's culture, teaching/coaching philosophy, etc.

If Kraft wants continuity, just keep Bill.

Some degree of continuity is necessary to function. It would be inaccurate and unwise to consider everything in BB's program disposable. I think we need to remember that the dysfunctional elephant in the room has been roster/talent management, first and foremost.

Some degree of continuity is necessary to function. It would be inaccurate and unwise to consider everything in BB's program disposable. I think we need to remember that the dysfunctional elephant in the room has been roster/talent management, first and foremost.
The question becomes.... "are the good parts that we want to keep continuity with sustainable without BB". Because there's a chance they aren't, at which point, you might just might have to say that we are going all in on a new era".

One of our members correctly predicted that Jerod Mayo would be our pick the year he was drafted.

I am having a hard time coming up with a reason why you wouldn't want continuity, hatred of Bill not withstanding. The Cowboys have consistently branded themselves America's Team since the 70's. I don't see why they would take The Patriot Way and throw it out, other than it harkens to Bill and certain posters hate Bill.

I mean the biggest cons right now for him are

1. Bill Belichick's assistants have been failing in the NFL for years and have been giant flops. Not saying Mayo can't be the exception. But you are still talking about a guy coming from a pipeline where the products aren't proving to be effective at the role of HC

2. He's a defensive coach in a league where frankly the offensive coaches are having most of the success because that is where the league is tilted. The defensive coaches are the one off exceptions and they aren't showing much consistency at the highest level.

3. He's a defensive coach that will come in with priority number 1 of building and coaching an offense which has been ineffective for 5 years.

4. The experience piece. I don't know if you trust him to have the full level of GM control now. And imo if you bring in a GM, you kinda need to let him pick the HC to have a chance. Otherwise you are inviting conflict
So you're basically saying hire a GM first and let him pick the coach?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back