PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think the Pats will re-structure Mankins's contract to create cap space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we would, but I know there is not way we will.

I would let Mankins play out this year of his contract and cut him next year. My issue with re-structuring Mankins contract is it makes it so much harder to part ways with him next season if his play continues to decline. I don't want a 33 year old LG with a $12.5mil cap hit and $7mil in dead money on the books. He's been a great player for the Pats but I was never a fan of that contract and I would try and get out from under it as soon as I could and 2015 seems like the right time.

From Mankins perspective he would be silly to not accept a re-structure. It would not only give him part of his money upfront but it would also make him much harder to cut next season almost guaranteeing that salary too. If he was offered a pay cut I could see why he would turn it down, but a straight re-structure turning base salary into bonus money is a no-brainer.

Here's the problem:

1.) The story, assuming the source is correct in both cases, doesn't tell us why a Mankins restructure isn't going to happen. It just claims that it's not going to happen. Two likely reasons for it:

a.) Mankins doesn't want it

b.) Patriots don't want it

In the case of (a), it's likely because the Patriots are trying to combine a re-structure with a reduction. After the way they dealt with him before, it would come as no surprise that he'd balk at that.

In the case of (b), it's likely because the Patriots either plan to cut him after this year or to use that threat as leverage. Given the earlier history, this would seem to be far more likely to end up as a release than a lessened contract, but humans can be quirky.

In any case, the reality is that Mankins is the Patriots best offensive lineman, that second place isn't all that close, and that finding a way to keep Mankins in the fold for the next two seasons is probably the smartest move, given the other issues on the line.

I think both the team and mankins are satisfied with the contract for this year. Although I do think he hasn't produced like he could have, I think he is the top lineman in the mix. The pats have this dude all over on run plays and I think they are agreeable to the contract for this year. 2015 is another thing.

I seriously dont believe mankins touches anything regarding his contract. I just don't see it regarding how he got this one. The trouble is when you have character guys as a core philosophy, you have to negotiate with character guys.

Why would we restructure his contract? I don't know the details of his deal, but I'm sure he's not on an awful lot but he's one of the best O-Lineman in the league and although he didn't produce last year, I don't think he deserves all the blame.

He was the anchor of interior as he was the only solid interior lineman and went we lost Solder, he was the only solid O-Lineman apart from maybe Marcus Cannon.

And do we really want to offend him like we did with Wilfork? I'm not sure we do.

What exactly are they creating the cap space for; they have about $4 M-$7 M. They have players like Gostkowski, and McCourty who they could extend and that would free up space, along with the likely restructure or release of Vince Wilfork. I guess before I could answer whether or not they would restructure him I would have to know what they would need the money for, outside of Jared Allen who is signing with the Seahawks per reports I cannot think of a player that we would need cap more cap space to sign.

He will be cut next year.

VW might be cut this year.

What exactly are they creating the cap space for; they have about $4 M-$7 M. They have players like Gostkowski, and McCourty who they could extend and that would free up space, along with the likely restructure or release of Vince Wilfork. I guess before I could answer whether or not they would restructure him I would have to know what they would need the money for, outside of Jared Allen who is signing with the Seahawks per reports I cannot think of a player that we would need cap more cap space to sign.

Well said. Assuming Allen is either going to sign with the Seahawks, Cowboys, or retire, what free agents left would command decent-sized contracts?

1. Clemons (safety)
2. De La Puente
3. Finley
4. Phillips
5. K. Williams
6. Spencer

The rest of FA consists of RBs and bargain basement signings that would receive close to vet min. contracts.

I thought that I'd respond to the question you actually asked rather than thinking that you asked about a pay cut.

A restructure of Mankins' contract would produce about $3M of cap room by move salary from this year to 2015 and 2016. So, if Mankins were cut next year, the additional amount would hit next year's cap.

Players almost always accept a re-structure. All it does is take $4.5M of his slaray and converts it to a signing bonus. Mankins just gets his $3M of his money early instead of waiting to get it week by week.

I think that it will and should happen. Others don't like pushing money forward. Of course, that is done on almost every contract signing.

Thank you for this. An intelligent answer to the actual question asked.

The Patriots still have 6 unsigned free agents plus needs at tight end, offensive line, and defensive line. To upgrade these position, they
need to create salary cap space by re-structuring or extending some contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back