PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has Bill the GM been so poor the past decade?

If Bill stays, I predict Dimetroff, Robinson or Pioli return. Both Dimetroff and Robinson picked some very good players with the Falcons and Titans.
Those guys have a pretty good track record. I do feel like someone ELSE needs to be in charge of personnel if you are going to keep Bill on. His drafting and roster decisions have been atrocious over the past decade or so. I wouldn't be against a completely clean break but the question is always who will be your replacement?

Now let's say Bob Kraft goes with the keep Bill on as coach route and hires a new GM/Director of player personnel. The new guy must be able to make the final decision without BB interfering and insisting on a N'Keal Harry for instance.

We just found out in a recent article that BB did agree to hire OB but immediately undermined him by not allowing him to hire a completely new offensive staff for instance. BB cannot be allowed to interfere with the new hire in any way if we're going to somehow make it work.

Then suspend him if necessary; but deciding to waive him should've been left to next season.
The only reason he gets cut, is if he's on a countdown to the Chandler Jones Memorial Naked on the Foxboro Police Lawn.

so per the recent article, it basically says Bill has no idea how to evaluate offense.

makes you wonder then why he hamstrung O'Brien telling him he couldn't pick his own staff. Then basically ignored addressing offense and said make it work with Jags and patricias leftovers.

Maybe letting O'brien bring in his own guys and have input on the draft since he just came from a college system would've yielded better results, no?

I wonder how much of the problem is the front office brain drain reaching a tipping point.

Tom Dimitroff​
Scott Pioli​
Nick Caserio​
Ernie Adams​
Monti Ossenfort​
Dave Zeigler​

Perhaps after those deaprtures the replacements were of lower quality in terms of their competence, leading to BB not trusting their opinions as much as those predecessors. That is never a good thing, because the final decision is then being made based on less information and only one viewpoint.
It's all sensible.. Bill said himself on he weekly WEEI appearances thet he couldn't possibly do everything by himself.

There is no world where it will work out where BB cedes personnel decisions to someone else and he just focuses on coaching. As we know, BB can be a spiteful prick and if a player is drafted, signed, cut, traded that he doesn’t agree with, he will do **** that will purposely make it not work. He’ll play an inferior ‘preferred’ player ahead of the new player. He’ll play the new player out of position or in a way that doesn’t use his strengths, he will game plan away from the new player, healthy scratch….you name it, he will find a way to undermine it.

Anyone who thinks this is a viable path forward is in dream land.

Although Bill claims to be in a player's league he supports coaches more than players.
And he supports draft picks over proven players, a la dumping off Nick Folk for the rookie kicker.

Maybe letting O'brien bring in his own guys and have input on the draft since he just came from a college system would've yielded better results, no?
Good point.

With the absence of Dante Scar and Ernie Adams, no one is given the trust or has the gravitas to give Bill input when it’s needed. Which is now a lot—especially been true of the offensive side.

“Hey, Bill, Mapu is intriguing. But let’s take an OT in this round. Right tackle held us hostage last season.”

That sort of input.

Instead of Mapu and Ryland, we could have had two promising tackles, Dawand Jones in the third and Carter Warren in the fourth. And we could have still taken Sidy Sow. Ugh!

Now the need for tackles is at desperation time.

Stephen A Smith summed it up the best. The GOAT at HC helped force the exit of the GOAT QB and the new England area hasn't forgotten that. We haven't!! I'm embracing change. The coaching staff and roster is filled with nothing but " guys he likes and wants to be around "

Guys like nick Caley, Brian Flores aren't ass kissers they spoke up for themselves when here.
That attitude revealed itself to me when I read some of the things that Matt Patricia said to a Lions player about ending his career. His my way or the highway responses to players when he came back here, and Bill's total support of that, told me a lot about their mindset.

And he supports draft picks over proven players, a la dumping off Nick Folk for the rookie kicker.
I think all of his moves, other than his punishments, are purely financial and is why I'm worried that Kraft will keep him.

As I watch other teams now I see more and more ex-Patriots playing key roles and I don't remember seeing that as often in the past. It may be a common thing for other teams but it never was for the Pats until recently.

We just found out in a recent article that BB did agree to hire OB but immediately undermined him by not allowing him to hire a completely new offensive staff for instance. BB cannot be allowed to interfere with the new hire in any way if we're going to somehow make it work.
It's probably about money but how? Do the position coaching salaries come out of Bill's budget/pocket?

What the hell is going on? Fired right?

He's stubborn and his ego has only grown in the last 5 years.
Don't think being named the GOAT doesn't matter to him - and he desperately wants the most wins record.
Problem is - he only wants it doing it his way... Trying to resurrect average/injured players on the cheap, and selecting a few high paid stars, and sometimes those two are the same.
Problem is - he's also had a long string of bad evaluation on those FA's, and his draft picks.
To make that FA strategy work, you need to be nailing your drafts, and he hasn't recently.

He's stubborn and his ego has only grown in the last 5 years.
Don't think being named the GOAT doesn't matter to him - and he desperately wants the most wins record.
Problem is - he only wants it doing it his way... Trying to resurrect average/injured players on the cheap, and selecting a few high paid stars, and sometimes those two are the same.
Problem is - he's also had a long string of bad evaluation on those FA's, and his draft picks.
To make that FA strategy work, you need to be nailing your drafts, and he hasn't recently.
Absolutely this! There is no way to be given all the power he's had, success ect without having an ego! Your right on everything you've stated. This has resulted in the organization having to perform a restructuring. This is probably I'd say the most imperative draft in the organizations history right now. As the difference with the 2000 draft is Brady was an unknown. We know what we need at QB position.

It's probably about money but how? Do the position coaching salaries come out of Bill's budget/pocket?
It feels more like an issue of control than money. BB was like, ok Kraft, you're making me hire an offensive coordinator, but I want to keep my incumbents and I'm not going to let him pick new offensive staff. I'm gonna establish how little authority BOB has in my hierarchy. BOB himself revealed that he wasn't even allowed to choose the starting QB. Whether Mac or Zappe started was not up to him. I'd call that pretty severe undermining of your OC and the signs of a power struggle where BB clearly wanted to keep BOB firmly under his thumb.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back