Down 16pts in the 4th, teams are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_in_sunnyvale

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Daniel Adler is on Bill Barnwell's post-SB51 podcast and provided an incredible stat regarding being down 16 points in the 4th quarter with about 9 minutes to go...

Since 2001 and prior to SB51, there had been 83 teams in that exact position the Pats found themselves in on Feb 5th. After SB51, the record of these teams in those games now stands at:

1-83.

Kind of puts "It's just a two-score game" into context.

Kind of puts the awesomeness of the 2016 Patriots into context, too.

Regards,
Chris

Daniel Adler is on Bill Barnwell's post-SB51 podcast and provided an incredible stat regarding being down 16 points in the 4th quarter with about 9 minutes to go...

Since 2001 and prior to SB51, there had been 83 teams in that exact position the Pats found themselves in on Feb 5th. After SB51, the record of these teams in those games now stands at:

1-83.

Kind of puts "It's just a two-score game" into context.

Kind of puts the awesomeness of the 2016 Patriots into context, too.

Regards,
Chris
There was a stat posted during the game that teams trailing by 19 or more at the end of 3 were 0-93 in the post season, ever.

There was a stat posted during the game that teams trailing by 19 or more at the end of 3 were 0-93 in the post season, ever.
I saw that and that doesn't surprise me one bit. 19pts with 15 mins to play against playoff caliber teams is a Mt. Everest to climb.

The stat I found threw me because I'm sure once it got to 16pts ("just two scores") with "enough time", people might have thought that while rare a comeback may be, it has happened before. In fact it was unprecedented.

There are so sooooo many mind blowing stats regarding that comeback. God, I love this team.

Regards,
Chris

Somebody make a meme with BB drinking Orange juice and this stat.

Heard this morning that teams down by 17+ points in the 4th quarter are 0-133 in the playoffs and down by 28+ points 4-1057 all time.
pats werent down 28...

I agree with Curran that most of those stats are just mythbuilding but don't properly represent the likelihood of a comeback for a BB/Brady team. We are outliers in a ****ton of stats so whats the point of comparing our team against averaged stats of mostly crap teams.

the two 2-point conversions still blows my mind, as we all know it's hard enough to get one of them when your playoff life is on the line, not surprised coming back from 16 down is next to impossible, not surprised the Pats are the one team to do it either

The best thing about this is that every team in the country from Texas to Georgia, little league to the NFL are gonna say "Remember the 2016 patriots and Tom Brady!"

The best thing about this is that every team in the country from Texas to Georgia, little league to the NFL are gonna say "Remember the 2016 patriots and Tom Brady!"

And then when he walks down the street people will look and they will say there goes Tom Brady, the best there ever was in this game.

And then when he walks down the street people will look and they will say there goes Tom Brady, the best there ever was in this game.

The excellence of execution.

My better half really believes they had it planned. Let the Dirty Birds get a comfortable lead, then storm back for the win. Hearing Jules say "it's gonna make a great story" (paraphrasing) a few times after halftime on SoundFX gave me pause... but nah... it's impossible... they couldn't have.

I agree with Curran that most of those stats are just mythbuilding but don't properly represent the likelihood of a comeback for a BB/Brady team. We are outliers in a ****ton of stats so whats the point of comparing our team against averaged stats of mostly crap teams.

I agree with Curran to a degree, but I wouldn't go overboard shifting comeback odds in these situations because these are the Brady/BB Pats. A slight shift in their favor? Sure. Very slight, though.

Regards,
Chris

What amazed me was the nature of the comeback; Often extraordinary comebacks are aided by: 1. Special teams’ scores or onside kick recoveries or ST turnovers. The Pats had no ST scores or TOs and had a failed onside kick. 2. Winning the turnover battle and/or having the defense score. The Pat's lost the turnover battle and didn't score on defense. 3. Quick breakaway scores caused by some defensive breakdown or incredible offensive effort or luck. The Patriots had no quick breakaway scores.

The Patriots led by Brady rose-up* and refused to lose, while the Falcons didn't so much as give away the game as they lost all of the many remaining pivotal battles until they had nothing left to win.

1-83 or 1-134 doesn't represent likelihood. It represents uniqueness and/or greatness. Only one team was able to overcome that deficit in NFL history.

I do agree with you when they use the "odds for winning" stat (or whatever it's called) such as "the Pats had a .04% chance of winning in the fourth quarter". That absolutely does not properly represent a Patriots likelihood.

What amazed me was the nature of the comeback; Often extraordinary comebacks are aided by: 1. Special teams’ scores or onside kick recoveries or ST turnovers. The Pats had no ST scores or TOs and had a failed onside kick. 2. Winning the turnover battle and/or having the defense score. The Pat's lost the turnover battle and didn't score on defense. 3. Quick breakaway scores caused by some defensive breakdown or incredible offensive effort or luck. The Patriots had no quick breakaway scores.

The Patriots led by Brady rose-up* and refused to lose, while the Falcons didn't so much as give away the game as they lost all of the many remaining pivotal battles until they had nothing left to win.

They had one turnover. Hightower strip sacked Ryan. Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe