PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The real missing offensive piece: the modern, three down RB

They've tried with Ty Montgomery and Pierre Strong. 2 busts.

I like Zeke's pass catching ability, and remember Rham had a great pass catching season last year.

They are overused, they need depth.

But to be a good 3rd down back you have to be able to run it and to block.

Montgomery failed on the latter, Strong on the former.
For Strong, I don't think they really "tried"... dude only had 51 offensive snaps last year. Problem is imho he made some critical mistakes on ST, and the 10yds/att and 7 recs on 7 tgts for 42yds last year with no fumbles wasn't enough for him to break through. I'm guessing blocking was an issue as well. When they picked up Elliott, that was gonna be it for him. Imho, though, that trade for Wheatley was a gigantic waste.

For Strong, I don't think they really "tried"... dude only had 51 offensive snaps last year. Problem is imho he made some critical mistakes on ST, and the 10yds/att and 7 recs on 7 tgts for 42yds last year with no fumbles wasn't enough for him to break through. I'm guessing blocking was an issue as well. When they picked up Elliott, that was gonna be it for him. Imho, though, that trade for Wheatley was a gigantic waste.
My problem with Strong is that he's a straight ahead runner with no wiggle. Runs high, can't juke anyone.

I think he was a bad scout. I was excited they took a super speedy combine wonder (size + speed) then I looked at his tape and thought, "hmmmm, that's not going to translate."

While meant teams feature two very good wide outs. A less expensive, but still very effective model is to have a very good pass catching TE, slot receiver and 3rd down back. Wait, that was the Pats formula for years. Too bad they abandoned it over the past 5 years.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back