PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

We could merge a lot of threads by creating a character called Draker Mayefield. Just sayin'.

(All kidding aside, there's no other point here, just the kidding. As you were.)

Love these trade down ideas. Take an OL or WR now, and then trade 3 first rounders in 26’ to go up and get the QB who should be ready by the 27’/28 season. Gonna be lots of fun losing for the next 4-5 years.

Love these trade down ideas. Take an OL or WR now, and then trade 3 first rounders in 26’ to go up and get the QB who should be ready by the 27’/28 season. Gonna be lots of fun losing for the next 4-5 years.
Essentially, if the6 do not think that Maye is the guy, they must trade down and draft Joe Alt, maybe a late 1st round qb, and then deal with the potential qb need later...which, they may have to do anyway if they draft Maye.

Essentially, if the6 do not think that Maye is the guy, they must trade down and draft Joe Alt, maybe a late 1st round qb, and then deal with the potential qb need later...which, they may have to do anyway if they draft Maye.

If they don’t believe in the 3 QB’s then their moves so far make much less sense, as they seem to be setting up for a rookie QB, and once you get past pick three there is no guarantee of getting one. And if the deals some are talking about, like 2 2nd round picks to drop down are atrocious, and if they did something that stupid I would go from trusting these guys to wanting them fired immediately.

The idea of first trying to build the ideal 52 to then add the 53rd man in the promising rookie QB is like chasing your tail. It’s probably not going to happen all at the same time. Even if it did, who says that team who is ready to draft them will look the same in year 2, or more likely year 3 or 4, once the QB is truly ready?
Exactly , it's a fairy tale. QBs don't become available that easy, only through draft and chances are we are not getting in top 5 territory again anytime soon. The goal is win football games, I doubt Mayo and Wolf are soooo cool with the chances of winning less than 8 games next season.

Wow, who sucks worse, the receivers, the Coordinator or the O line, they are all ridiculously bad.
I'm now concerned May is gonna be the kind of guy who seems fine, but for whatever reason everyone around him plays like doggy doo.

I'm now concerned May is gonna be the kind of guy who seems fine, but for whatever reason everyone around him plays like doggy doo.
Except as a freshman he was lights out with a good OC and a good receiver.

The idea of first trying to build the ideal 52 to then add the 53rd man in the promising rookie QB is like chasing your tail. It’s probably not going to happen all at the same time. Even if it did, who says that team who is ready to draft them will look the same in year 2, or more likely year 3 or 4, once the QB is truly ready?
I think you're overselling your point outrageously. Even the successful top QBs selected in the draft need a supporting cast around them. Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tungavailoa, and Joe Burrow all got flattened in their first few years and most of these guys wind up struggling as a result, or at least not reaching their full potential. Hell it literally killed guys like Andrew Luck, RGIII, the Carrs, Teddy Bridgewater, guys who had talent but got left out to dry until most of it washed off them.

I agree that waiting for the ideal roster is a fool's game but how about building up SOME talent on the line and in the backfield before we send the poor kid up to face the firing squad? if we send a kid out there to be sacked 8-12 times a game we are begging to fail. We need a team around the QB or we are asking for another bust. it doesn't have to be the best team ever but it should at least not blow chunks like it does right now.

The key to success in the next 3 years may NOT be the name of the QB. It may very well be the quality of those coaching the passing game, especially the passing and WR coaches.

IMO, add a top receiver and LT, and good game planning and coaching will be able to deal with a receiving group of new guy, Bourne, Douglass, Shuster, Henry, Hooper, and Gibson. [yeah, yeah, and Reagor and Thornton].

The key to success in the next 3 years may NOT be the name of the QB. It may very well be the quality of those coaching the passing game, especially the passing and WR coaches.

IMO, add a top receiver and LT, and good game planning and coaching will be able to deal with a receiving group of new guy, Bourne, Douglass, Shuster, Henry, Hooper, and Gibson. [yeah, yeah, and Reagor and Thornton].
IMHO success is won on the line, not so much under center. We won't get far until we've got a strong line. That was true when we had Brady, and it's still true.

Plenty of pretty average quarterbacks have thrived with great O-Lines. Hell, in the heyday of the colts O-Line after Luck's retirement Brissett went .500 (the team went 7-9 but Brissett was 7-7)

23 pages later ... :)
At this point on the calendar, unless we get a Tax forum, the whole place is the Draft Forum. Time eventually wins every battle.

On a related nonsensical point, I can't believe there is the "next level down" prospect named Joe Alt. I can't believe there's anybody named Joe Alt. Oh please, draft Joe Alt. Hey would we play him at Alt Right Tackle? Will we have fine people on both sides?

JuJu Smith-Shuster Sucks-Sucks.

Reagor & BoneyT aren’t worth even mentioning.

And who’s Gibson?

EDIT-EDIT-EDIT: Sorry for the brainfart regarding Antonio Gibson. I think of him more as a RB than a WR, so I just didn’t recognize him among the WRs…

Last edited:
Reiss had a quote this morning that I've heard here and elsewhere:

"I think I'd trade down and take the best player, non-quarterback. I don't think this roster is set to take a quarterback. There are too many holes." -- ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky, on Tuesday's NFL Live program, regarding the Patriots and the No. 3 pick.

I'm not sure if there's a dumber idea in the world than this.

If your quarterback is there, you take him. You continue to develop the roster. if your quarterback isn't there, then do something else. But can you imagine fast forwarding a few years and having a quarterback you could've had tearing up the league, and your response is "we just weren't ready for him." Just an insane thought.

"I think I'd trade down and take the best player, non-quarterback. I don't think this roster is set to take a quarterback. There are too many holes." -- ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky, on Tuesday's NFL Live program, regarding the Patriots and the No. 3 pick.

If your quarterback is there, you take him. You continue to develop the roster. if your quarterback isn't there, then do something else. But can you imagine fast forwarding a few years and having a quarterback you could've had tearing up the league, and your response is "we just weren't ready for him." Just an insane thought.
Well, I don't disagree, but at the same time, I can see the point. Getting a qb without good wr's and a poor oline is also a making for disaster.

100%. All I keep hearing is about how risky it is to take the Quartetback at 3, and “ the haul” they can get for the pick, yet none of them take into account the fact that they will almost certainly have to turn around and give up 3 first round picks just to get back up and take the franchise quarterback in a future draft. The other thing they keep ignoring is the value you get once you hit on that quarterback, which is that you will have a playoff team for the foreseeable future, 5 years of very low cost at QB, and 12-15 years if a franchise quarterback, as as opposed to the never ending search to find one. So the bottom line for me is that you take the QB is you like your evaluation of them, then build around them, which is what almost every playoff team is doing.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back