PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been targeted 5 Times. WTF is going on in here? :D

You guys need to get an AA membership or something. Anti Allen club.

You tell me which passes he "should have caught".

Passes: From my perspective.

1. Dropped.
2. Alligator arms? More like he needed a pair of good ole fashion stilts to catch that one. Great Googly Moogly..
3. Catchable? Maybe be if he had some Deep Woods LB repellent on him. Good God ole mighty.
4. Alligator arms? More like he needed Giraffe legs or whatever a corresponding analogy would be. Holy Macka loly.
5. Does anyone know what this play was supposed to be? If he was supposed to catch that give that man a two dollar luney and a popsicle stick. (I don't know wtf that means but it sounded good).

Oh yeah and he's a wicked good blockah too. I watched the film. haha

Go ahead and defend yourselves ye of little faith. Tell me which passes he "should have caught". Go ahead Mrs. "Alligator Arms". :D

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yeah but you are W R O N G. :D

I posted a video for you guys to review. And I'm only kidding around.

People dont even realize how much Allen is used to manipulate matchups and make the opponents reveal their hand via motions and where he is lined up at. Because as with Ghost and how he has been nailing kickoffs amazingly well they are not even aware that it is happening. It is the fantasy football syndrome where the only good players are the one that show up on a stat sheet.

He looks like he's running through molasses. That shows up on the eye sheet. The drops and incompletions show up on the stat sheet.

Bottom line is this. We paid Bennett $5m last year and we're paying Allen $5m this year and he's in every way a downgrade.

Bottom line is he has been targeted 5 times and only one of those has been catchable.

I'd give it more time.

He looks like he's running through molasses. That shows up on the eye sheet. The drops and incompletions show up on the stat sheet.

1 Drop is what I see.

I've been defending Allen since day one, in an attempt to temper expectations in terms of his receiving. I never expected him to catch more than 30-35 passes, and always thought that his stats would compare much closer to Scott Chandler than Martellus Bennett. As we know, Allen is known for his blocking skills.

What I'm now concerned with, is the fact that there have now been reports from beat writers the past 2 games that there are plays where he's been blocking poorly and not finishing the assignment. The most recent example was from the screen pass to Lewis last week, although I haven't watched it again yet, myself.

5. Does anyone know what this play was supposed to be? If he was supposed to catch that give that man a two dollar luney and a popsicle stick. (I don't know wtf that means but it sounded good).

It's called a Toonie.

Hasn't had many snaps but his blocking has been solid which is his strength.

1. Dropped.
2. Alligator arms? More like he needed a pair of good ole fashion stilts to catch that one. Great Googly Moogly..
3. Catchable? Maybe be if he had some Deep Woods LB repellent on him. Good God ole mighty.
4. Alligator arms? More like he needed Giraffe legs or whatever a corresponding analogy would be. Holy Macka loly.

Too slow on #2
Bad route on #3
Turned in on #4 instead of just looking for it, got him out of position
Too slow on #5

#2,3 and 5 could be Allen error, Brady error, or just a timing issue. It's possible that #4 could be too, but it looks more likely as if he just didn't do a good job of tracking the ball.

Too slow on #2
Bad route on #3
Turned in on #4 instead of just looking for it, got him out of position
Too slow on #5

#2,3 and 5 could be Allen error, Brady error, or just a timing issue. It's possible that #4 could be too, but it looks more likely as if he just didn't do a good job of tracking the ball.

All good possibilities Deus. I'm not sure if he's running the wrong routes or if his timing is off with Brady but I do know that the ball has only hit him in the hands once and he dropped it. The rest would have been tough catches if catchable at all from where he was. Anyway I'm not worried about him yet.

Passes: From my perspective..

Go ahead and defend yourselves ye of little faith. Tell me which passes he "should have caught". Go ahead Mrs. "Alligator Arms". :D

Agree with first four, but the fifth looks like he was the fourth-fifth read and he never expected the ball, so he never turned to look: that is a big Nono with brady as previous pats turned commentators-interviewees have stated. TB throws to the open read, not the top read.

Could be Route had an option to go-stop-comeback depending on the dB and he -TB just read it different, but again that is a syncs issue that you have to put on the receiver. He has to synchronize to TB and not look like he is jogging when he is read #4. (Also agree with some of the posters who say he looks slow).

But he does block well. ;)

Its getting closer and closer to that time where he is looking like a non-factor. I think there might be more wear and tear on this guy than his age would indicate.
I think it's less about wear & tear and more about just plain sucking, due in no small part to being infested for the previous 5 years with the disease known as the Indy Clots.

1. Dropped.

Have you thought about the fact that he's not been targetted more times since he's not open and a poor route runner? Or that his snap count plummetted from 47 in game 2 to 17 in game 3 since his blocking isn't as exemplary as we thought it might be and his receiving skills are atrocious. If he can't get on the field, he won't run his poor routes, and he won't get targetted and he won't have receptions.

Have you thought about the fact that he's not been targetted more times since he's not open and a poor route runner? Or that his snap count plummetted from 47 in game 2 to 17 in game 3 since his blocking isn't as exemplary as we thought it might be and his receiving skills are atrocious. If he can't get on the field, he won't run his poor routes, and he won't get targetted and he won't have receptions.

Also helps that Gronk didn't go out partway through game 3 and Amendola was active and 2/3 of our other WR weren't gimpy.

Hard to get receptions when you drop every pass thrown your way.

allen.PNG

There's one thing missing from your well-researched and detailed video. That would be an actual reception.

Love - Mrs. Alligator Arms :)

Great response and very true. I'm not sure what the issue is. I just wanted to point out that only one of those targets hit him on the hands. The rest were tough catches for whatever reason.

I'm not calling him a bust yet.

Fwiw, in case it wasn't clear I was just having some fun with that post.

Sure that's very possible. I'm just not going to call him a bust yet based on what I saw and on 5 targets. His blocking has looked good to me. The reduction in targets is alarming though. It's also week 3.

I have to say...since Hernandez was released the patriots have invested in some god awful TE 2s. Bennett being the once exception.

I hope the patriots spend a high pick next year on a young pass catching tight end, provide some insurance to Gronk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back