PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwayne Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys are overselling it a bit. If you have an adequate pass catching TE, and one of the best pass catching TE's in the history of the NFL, and they're both healthy, who do you give the ball to?

Not that Allen's been great, but he also really hasn't been part of the playcalling yet. There's a catch 22 that happens when you're a merely half decent player stuck behind a great one, sometimes this happens to you.

I think you guys are overselling it a bit. If you have an adequate pass catching TE, and one of the best pass catching TE's in the history of the NFL, and they're both healthy, who do you give the ball to?

Not that Allen's been great, but he also really hasn't been part of the playcalling yet. There's a catch 22 that happens when you're a merely half decent player stuck behind a great one, sometimes this happens to you.

People would be more likely to buy that line if it weren't for an obvious fact:

Jacob Hollister has hardly played (23 snaps compared to Allen's 90, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com), yet he's got 2 catches on 3 attempts.

People would be more likely to buy that line if it weren't for an obvious fact:

Jacob Hollister has hardly played (23 snaps compared to Allen's 90, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com), yet he's got 2 catches on 3 attempts.

That's a great point.

I hope the patriots spend a high pick next year on a young pass catching tight end, provide some insurance to Gronk.

Yeah get some high pick talent like Amaro, Seferian Jenkins or Ebron.

But seriously a pass catching TE is no insurance for Gronk at all. Gronks biggest value is not his catching alone but his blocking ability. This is what makes him the chess piece that he is. And that combination is ****ing rare. And I mean rare.

People really need to stop defending Dwayne Allen. He's a bust. Bb made a mistake. He's barely an average blocker and can't catch a cold

You cant be serious, right ?

Can't wait for Dwayne Allen to get practice player of the week....stop the presses. :D:p

Yeah get some high pick talent like Amaro, Seferian Jenkins or Ebron.

But seriously a pass catching TE is no insurance for Gronk at all. Gronks biggest value is not his catching alone but his blocking ability. This is what makes him the chess piece that he is. And that combination is ****ing rare. And I mean rare.

for every jace amaro there's also a Greg Olsen , Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham

Yes agree about Gronk, however in my opinion is biggest value is his pass catching. I mean no other tight end got 1400 yards and 17 TDs in one season. Of course his great blocking is HUGE for this team.

You cant be serious, right ?

Do you ever criticize a move BB has made or does his status make him immune to criticisms?

While Dwayne was a good blocker in the past, he has missed some key blocks in his first 3 games as a patriot.

As a pass catcher, he's been useless.

He's making what 5-6 million this year? That's more than Brandin Cooks makes.

He's basically a backup o lineman and he gets paid like a franchise player

We should take bets..what week he gets his first catch
I think Allen makes his first catch of the year this week vs. CAR, and maybe they actually even target him in the red zone.

Just a hunch.

They should have cut him and kept o'shaunessey or the northwestern guy. He is worse than useless.

They should have cut him and kept o'shaunessey or the northwestern guy. He is worse than useless.
The salary cap implications might've been too high if Dwops were simply released.

The salary cap implications might've been too high if Dwops were simply released.
Looks like he had approx 5m dollar cap hit with 4.5m of that as a dead cap hit. Still, they would've been on the right side of things by about 500k.

This has always reeked of a one year deal to me, unless Allen did something great. That said, I don't have the best grasp of matters that are cap related. Luckily, we have a cap guru and some other very well-knowledgeable posters for that.

Looks like he had approx 5m dollar cap hit with 4.5m of that as a dead cap hit. Still, they would've been on the right side of things by about 500k.

This has always reeked of a one year deal to me, unless Allen did something great. That said, I don't have the best grasp of matters that are cap related. Luckily, we have a cap guru and some other very well-knowledgeable posters for that.

That "cap guru" ditched us for a real salary prettier website.

for every jace amaro there's also a Greg Olsen , Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham

Yes agree about Gronk, however in my opinion is biggest value is his pass catching. I mean no other tight end got 1400 yards and 17 TDs in one season. Of course his great blocking is HUGE for this team.

Please get Graham that bum out of conversations about TEs. He is a big WR that cant handle physicality, cant block at all and even in NO was dependent on Brees to make plays.

Do you ever criticize a move BB has made or does his status make him immune to criticisms?

While Dwayne was a good blocker in the past, he has missed some key blocks in his first 3 games as a patriot.

As a pass catcher, he's been useless.

He's making what 5-6 million this year? That's more than Brandin Cooks makes.

He's basically a backup o lineman and he gets paid like a franchise player

And once again, post the scene where according to you he misses a key block or shut the **** up. You can ******** your way through many things but I will call you out every time if you claim something like that to provide evidence. Until then the downvotes on any Allen blocking criticism will rain.

And the comparison to Cooks makes no sense whatsoever because one of the players is on a rookie contract and the other is not.

Finally you have no clue whatsoever of anything if you think he is getting money of a franchise player.

And once again, post the scene where according to you he misses a key block or shut the **** up. You can ******** your way through many things but I will call you out every time if you claim something like that to provide evidence. Until then the downvotes on any Allen blocking criticism will rain.
I'd be curious to see some of the plays, as well. According to the Herald Staff weekly breakdowns, he's been somewhat lazy finishing at times the past two games. There was also some other mention after game two, but I can't remember the specific beat writer. Personally, I hadn't noticed myself, but I don't have access to the all-22 outside of Tony's posts.

One play they pointed out was the screen play to Lewis where he supposedly disengaged too early, and they claimed that the play would have gone for a much bigger gain had he finished through. I'm sure we'll notice soon enough if it becomes a pattern. Until then, I'm going to assume that he's still a better blocking option at TE than anything else we had outside of Gronk or 2016 Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back