PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles at Patriots post-game thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember winning a SB with our QB injured, winning a SB with one of our best defenders injured, almost winning a SB with our WR playing CB, almost making a SB with our stars Welker and Gronk hurt.

Injuries were never an excuse, yet now it is all about how we don't have our RB, our TE, our WR, our OT, our water boy etc. Give me a break.
The Patriots won those Super Bowls in a different NFL. Back then Belichick could plug in hank poteat, earthwind moreland, etc., and have them mug receivers all the way down the field. Them days is gone, so to speak.
The fact that yesterday's opponent gave up 45 to Detroit and then came into Foxboro and handcuffed the Pats until garbage time is worrisome, but not unexpected considering you've got practice squad quality guys playing considerable time.

Yeah I noticed that too. It's simply arrogance.

How is it arrogant ? Seriously, what is it with people that they have to throw around the words "disrespect" and "arrogance" for plays that don't work but praise and make gifs out of trick plays that end up working.

If you think about it it was anything but arrogance. It looks like they were aware that the offense would have troubles moving the ball consistently so they wanted to shorten the field for them. On the flipside the coaching staff must have a lot of trust into our defense saying that the downside of trying the dropkick was minimal (e.g. ~ 20 yards).

So trying to go up 21-0 at home after scoring a TD and only surrending a difference of 10-20 yards is arrogance?

OLine play seems to be a serious problem. Much of our passing game is predicated upon play action and the Eagles showed no respect for our run. There is NO push by our OL, even when we bring in extra linemen.
The problem is not our RBs, but the holes--there are none to run in, and safeties are playing pass all day long. Looks like mostly zone blocking with few linemen pulling, pretty simple schemes. Might be a reflection on the confidence in the OLine when you have to simplify. Really miss Gronk's blocking, he might have been the only really effective run blocker.

The only way to get Brady enough time throwing is to keep the TEs and/or RBs in to block, but then there are fewer skill players running routes. Rushing 4 is getting to Brady pretty quickly--what's he supposed to do? LT is a constant problem, no matter who's there they are getting beaten with speed.

Kline got held on one of the early Philly stunts, couldn't disengage to pick up the DE and Brady got killed.

Pooch kick not a huge deal, poor coverage on kickoff returns sometimes leaves your opponent at the 41, should not be a game-changer.

Our LBs are really struggling to get sideline to sideline. We're in a nickel so much that we're playing with only 2. Collins can't be expected to be game speed after all that time off. We miss Hightower and Collins at full speed. Two weeks in a row we got killed on stretch runs and wheel routes.

Did anyone see the head butt Stork put on their DT? He dropped like a sack of potatoes. That was pure nasty, loved it.

I love this team, but sometimes their in game arrogance baffles me That drop kick changed the complexity of the game. The Eagles are a professional team too and they were probably so pissed , their intensity went up ten notches after that and ours faltered !
This is my complaint with the game, plus the Pats obviously not taking the Eagles seriously and sleep-walking through the game. Whomever called that play should be fired. You were up 14-0!! They couldn't do anything on offense!! Why give them a short field??!! That play gave them confidence and turned the game right around, not to mention gave them the 7 points they beat us by (after we finally woke up in the 4th - too little too late). Two other rants - WTF happened to special teams? God awful. Also God awful were Brady's 2 INTS. I know you have nobody to throw to, TB, but it's better to throw the ball away than into triple coverage. That pick 6 on the goal line! The goal line!! It was at least a 10 pt. swing right there. The Eagles suck on O and D, but they didn't need either of them yesterday.

Maybe the worst was the Eagles fan sitting behind me, who kept repeating, "I can't believe this! I thought we were going to get smoked!" So did we, buddy, all the Pats fans kept muttering.

Okay, rant over. At least we showed something in the 4th quarter even though it was too little too late. Luckily it's just one game and it was outside the AFC. So maddening though.

So trying to go up 21-0 at home after scoring a TD and only surrending a difference of 10-20 yards is arrogance?
Ah, it was 40-50 yards and YES.

I mean would he have done this again a team like the Broncos, Bengals or panthers? My guess is no.

Depending how the teams were playing, my guess is yes, he would have. Hell, we've all seen BB do stuff like that against good teams. And more than once. Finally, please stop with the "disrespectful", etc. garbage. I don't recall anyone here whining about how NE was being "disrespectful" to the Ravens when NE rolled out the trick formation and the Edelman pass.

Where the heck are you getting 40-50 from?? It was 21 yards. Philly got the ball on their own 41. If NE had kicked away the most likely outcome was that Philly would have had the ball on their own 20. That's a 21-yard difference. Something Philly could easily get on one play (and in fact did).

We gave up a punt return td
A punt block td with 6 sec left no less
And a 100yd pick six.....
What does that mean, I have no idea.
Special teams took the night off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that yesterday's opponent gave up 45 to Detroit and then came into Foxboro and handcuffed the Pats until garbage time is worrisome, but not unexpected considering you've got practice squad quality guys playing considerable time.

I'm not sure they really handcuffed the Patriots. The Patriots were up 14-0 in the 2nd quarter and moved the ball well. They threw a 99 yard pick six after driving down the field, and another pick from the Eagles 35 or so. Then, down three scores, the Patriots went down and scored twice. They had an opportunity with 45 seconds and no timeouts to tie the game up, and even got the ball down into Eagles territory, but three straight drops and the game was over. Absent the momentum and TOP shifts of big mistakes like throwing picks in opposing territory, the Patriots probably would have hung at least 40. But that's what happens when those mistakes happen (compounded with giving up 14 points on punts) - you lose the game. That they were even in a position where they had a slim chance to tie it at the end was a minor miracle.

This game felt a bit like the Browns game back in the 2010 season, when a bunch of flukey stuff happened and Peyton Hillis tore them apart. People were crying that the sky was falling too, and they finished the season 14-2 and were unquestionably the best team in the league this year... and then played a bad football game against the Jets in the divisional round. Because football's a game where you only get one chance, flukey **** can happen. That's why Eli Manning has two Super Bowl rings, and why merely getting to the playoffs is the most important thing (though a bye helps, it's obviously not strictly necessary).

What are you talking about. Where are you getting 40-50 yards from? Eagles got the ball at the 40. At best Gostkowski kicks the ball and they down it in the end zone and start at the 20. That's only 20 yards.

1) The offensive line is really, really bad and will continue to be that way. I don't see any way for the line to become above average. With no Gronk these issues become more apparent.

2) Lewis' value cannot be understated given this. Lewis was a back who could gain yards without great line play. That's why he started over Blount in running situations. Blount, while he can be effective, needs good blocking. They will have to find creative ways to run the ball moving forward.

3) A bad line can be mitigated in the passing game by getting the ball out quickly. When you don't have guys who can get open quickly the ball doesn't come out fast. No Gronk and no Edelman means holding onto the ball longer which is the worst possible thing this offense could do.

4) It's becoming pretty obvious how important Hightower is not just to the run game but to the pressure schemes as well. They struggled to dial things up when they needed to, especially with Collins still recovering.

5) The team's identity is pretty well established at this point. They're passing the eye test with flying colors in fight, scheme, and defensive personnel.

6) It's very encouraging to know that many of the issues they are currently facing are going to be remedied with players they will be getting back for the real season. The key is going to be keeping the bye and getting their players back. I'm extremely confident that with Gronk, 75% Jules, and Hightower back in the mix they will be an absolute juggernaut. Two bad losses back to back certainly suck but I think all of us know that the causes of these issues are easily remedied.

I will be so thrilled when we stop trying to catch teams off guard with the quick snap at the goal line. Seems like the only ones ready are Brady and the defensive front seven.

Pro Football Focus‏@PFF
After being pressured 31% of dropbacks in first 9 games, Tom Brady has been pressured 48% of the time the last 3, 2nd-highest in the league
Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 2h2 hours ago
Tom E. Curran Retweeted Pro Football Focus
Less to do with OL than injury to always-open Julian Edelman. Brady forced to wait longer for downfield routes.

I will be so thrilled when we stop trying to catch teams off guard with the quick snap at the goal line. Seems like the only ones ready are Brady and the defensive front seven.
They scored a TD vs the bills that way. It works. Their problem was 2nd and 3rd down or even 4th down where they shouldve just bought goal line personnel and run with blount 3 times.

How is it arrogant ? Seriously, what is it with people that they have to throw around the words "disrespect" and "arrogance" for plays that don't work but praise and make gifs out of trick plays that end up working.

If you think about it it was anything but arrogance. It looks like they were aware that the offense would have troubles moving the ball consistently so they wanted to shorten the field for them. On the flipside the coaching staff must have a lot of trust into our defense saying that the downside of trying the dropkick was minimal (e.g. ~ 20 yards).

The offense just drove the ball 80 yards the past two drives for TDs.

And the bolded is exactly why I say it's arrogance.

Me too. It works when the defense is unprepared or not disciplined but results in a negative play if the defense is prepared and not caught off guard.

To be fair the same exact play worked 2 weeks ago against the Bills. The problem after was they decided to throw 2 times instead of just bringing in the goal line package and running Blount on 2nd down and depending where the ball was run him again or if he gets them inside the 1 Brady sneak on 3rd down and if they got stopped on 3rd down they take the 3 points and its 17-14 Pats

Last edited:

I dont think it was arrogance but the fact that they were practicing and trying all these tricks with ebner indicates they thought they can get away with this at home vs the eagles.

You must hate how BB took that intentional safety back in the days because by your logic giving the other team points on purpose because you know your D will get a stop is the ultimate arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back