PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles at Patriots post-game thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
how is tom suppose to relax when his offensive line would struggle to block a high school team??

btw that dola to brady pass was awesome. they should use it again later.

Obviously, the oline has struggled mightily lately. But the point stands that this offense scored 28 with Keshawn Martin starting...

What's so troubling is the O-line has sucked all season. They have not fixed that. Houston could be an ugly ugly game if they don't figure it out. They also need to reach out to any veteran receivers who might be available. They need to find a way to re-energize their short game. Team needs some help, some veteran experience in the receiving corp.
Sucked might be a bit strong for the first 8 games. Its been a problem, but McDaniels hasn't been doing them any favors as receiving talent atrophied.

I don't know how much a vet would help. They need another guy or two that can get open quickly, that's usually not a vet. That or they need to adapt the game plan.

tell that to jordan matthews quantum.;)

from the 1 seed down to the 3.

I'm not saying one has to like the playcall. Only that (1) if 21 yards in the Philly end of the field in the second quarter makes NE fall apart, then the team is more doomed than people are willing to admit, and (2) trying to get in a potential kill shot so your beat-up team can perhaps play a bit more conservative on offense and save your QB some hits might be a bad decision (I'm not necessarily willing to concede that), but it's not "arrogant".

Obviously, the oline has struggled mightily lately. But the point stands that this offense scored 28 with Keshawn Martin starting...
I've seen lots of folks citing 28 pts w such & such...these r the same folks that diminished Buffalo scoring garbage time TDs in wk 2. We need to face facts; the offense as presently constituted is not good...it looks like the preseason offense

the offense as presently constituted is not good...it looks like the preseason offense
And? We are down Lewis, Gronk and JE. and ST lost the game tonight.

this team is regressing hard.

I've seen lots of folks citing 28 pts w such & such...these r the same folks that diminished Buffalo scoring garbage time TDs in wk 2. We need to face facts; the offense as presently constituted is not good...it looks like the preseason offense

Preseason offense could score 28? Come on now.

The hyperbole needs to stop. No one said this offense was great, hell, no one said they were good. But, were they good enough? Yes, the special teams lost the game.

Sunday can't come fast enough for me. This team needs to get back on the winning side quickly.

this team is regressing hard.

only natural when we're missing so many players...
35 unanswered is scary though..even against denver we got routed in the 2nd half. obviously the refs helped the donkey's. today the ref's were alright..

speaking of denver. their fans/media are so arrogant for a team that STILL hasn't won a SB without cheating the salary cap. and the last time they were in the big game, they get humiliated in front of the world..

next sunday can't come quick enough. but honestly i've never been more confident than i am about next week's game. Yes, they have a great Dline. the pats are going to come after them. edelman would help a tremendous amount, but we're winning this game. i'm also expecting hightower to be back. i believe butler will matchup well with hopkins and this defense will dominate. can't wait.

BTW...based on this loss...and the meetings and what will be talked about..i expect a BIG showing by Pats in primetime for the world to watch...38-20 type game

For all the issues with this team from a health standpoint and the crappy execution yesterday, the Patriots should have won this game. Uncharacteristically the Patriots gave up 21 non offensive points and primed them for another score.
I strongly suspect this will not happen again (it better not). Too late in the season to spot any team that many points.

The big picture for this team is that they still are, or will be, primed to beat anyone. Right now they are having to find other avenues to get it done (or not get it done) due largely to health. Yet most of the pieces, presumably, will be back. Consider: You put Jules and Gronk on the field against Denver and Philly.

The historical benchmark of a BB team is it is better in December than Sept. The Patriots in Sept and Oct were by far the best team in the league. Unless an oddity occurs this year or someone who is thought to be coming back doesn't come back, this team will be the team to beat come January. provided the current bumpy road doesn't cost the Bye, I still wouldn't bet against the Patriots.

And? We are down Lewis, Gronk and JE. and ST lost the game tonight.
Exactly. But lots of people on here thought because of "next man up" chris harper, bolden, k Martin, and white could step in & the offense wouldnt miss a beat. Well we now have a run run chuck it deep into triple coverage offense.
This is not an indictment here; it's simply what happens when u lose, what 7-8 starters on both sides and u can't execute ur offense that you've honed for the last 3-4 years w edelman & gronkowski.
Brady has been throwing to guys who wouldn't be playing on 1/2 NFL rosters the last few games.
Either the defense holds teams to 20 or fewer points & ST stops sucking or they're looking at 1-3 the rest of the way. Cuz by the time they get 11 & 87 back it may be too late...

Exactly. But lots of people on here thought because of "next man up" chris harper, bolden, k Martin, and white could step in & the offense wouldnt miss a beat. Well we now have a run run chuck it deep into triple coverage offense.
This is not an indictment here; it's simply what happens when u lose, what 7-8 starters on both sides and u can't execute ur offer we that you've honed for the last 3-4 years w edelman & gronkowski.
Brady has been throwing to guys who wouldn't be playing on 1/2 NFL rosters the last few games.
Either the defense holds teams to 20 or fewer points & ST stops sucking or they're looking at 1-3 the rest of the way. Cuz by the time they get 11 & 87 back it may be too late...
1. 1. People are delusional and homers and think our players are just batter than they really are. Its kinda like homersim.

2. It wont be too late. They are in the playoffs. Just need those guys back healthy and then the team will be fine.

3. Even with all the guys out, this team needed to shoot itself in the foot several times to lose. If ST just plays a normal game the pats win.

As the famous football saying goes: My oh my what a few weeks makes (or breaks). This little hiccup has been 6-7 weeks in the making. Our OL won't get any better talent wise, they can only play and communicate together better. But the rest of our team can get better.

Btw, whether due to reffing, injuries or something else, our other trench players (the DL) seem to have really fallen off in the last two weeks.

We were in control of the game it was shaping up to be an easy win. That kick and the subsequent score gave the Eagles the momentum and confidence that they never relinquished. It all started to fall apart after that play.

I am not sure I agree. It really didn't feel like a momentum changer. In fact, we had the Eagles on 3rd/10 on the very same drive around midfield and were not able to prevent a long conversion. Similarly we also could not force them to kick a fieldgoal when we had them on the brink in the redzone. So, there was enough opportunity to stop them on the very same drive but for a second week in a row our defense got beat by great throws.

I understand the impulse to say that this kick facilitated the Eagles win because it was the first error in a night full of them but if this would have been a failed short kick, or a kick return to the same area we wouldn't have the conversation.

Btw, whether due to reffing, injuries or something else, our other trench players (the DL) seem to have really fallen off in the last two weeks.

I disagree about the DL, they played pretty well against Denver and did an adequate job today. What worries me more is that once again around December C. Jones disappeared. For a second game in a row we would needed some plays from our edge rushers but again they were not able to come through. Additionally, they also had problems of setting the edge against runs to the outside.

I wonder if this is a cumulative effect of Hightower being out and others having more responsibilities.

I'm not saying one has to like the playcall. Only that (1) if 21 yards in the Philly end of the field in the second quarter makes NE fall apart, then the team is more doomed than people are willing to admit, and (2) trying to get in a potential kill shot so your beat-up team can perhaps play a bit more conservative on offense and save your QB some hits might be a bad decision (I'm not necessarily willing to concede that), but it's not "arrogant".

It was a good decision IMO. The offense was out of synch, rusty and or beat up. A cheap touchdown there would have likely killed the fire from a team that was playing with some emotion and allowed Tom to not have to take risks [which, as we saw in that very game, can turn out to be a lot more than twenty yards on the opponents side of the field].

Fortunately, our coach tries to win based on that game, not on criticism from Monday morning quarterbacks.

Minus the flags, the eagles were dominating, despite the deficit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back