PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early 2024 FA Primer: How would you address this roster?

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
What's next for the organization?
At 2-6 , no moves made at the deadline. We have who we have. A team that's inconsistent, not talented, and poor play at the QB position.

We know BB is going to try to win every game... that's most coach's mentality. This season spiraled out of control early on coupled with injuries to key players on defense and now offense. I'd imagine the young guys and unproven players will get these next 9 games to show who's part of next season and beyond?

2021 we thought was a spending frenzy.. but In all actuality we got no elite player offensively.

The organizations business model hasn't changed in 19 seasons.. that has to change. The team needs game changers on offense.. we will always have a stout defense, but offensively it's time going forward into the 2024 offseason to change the mentality of the team with FAs and the draft.

Based on things I'm listing who I feel should be part of the future.

Kendrick Bourne (KB)
Jabril peppers
Kyle Dugger
Christian Barmore
Christian Gonzalez
Matt judon
Jack Jones
Juwan Bentley
Marte Marpu
Anfernee Jennings
Keon White
Demario Douglas

Fellow posters feel free to comment..

No disrespect Real: this thread is a little early here might be better in the Draft thread.

No disrespect Real: this thread is a little early here might be better in the Draft thread.
My man.. it's never too early.. I get what you are saying.. but I wanted to post something to see what people are thinking going forward. Can we say unequivocally the season is over? LOL

Think it all depends just how bad we finish. If we finish bad enough to grab maye even with a reasonable trade up I think you gotta take the swing.

If not hopefully grab the best ot and focus on OL /wr while resigning dugger. Im not sure how the qb prospects are once you veer from the top 5 but id honestly rather build up around the qb position and let mac play out the last year than force a pick at a mac/kenny pickett type choice or worse yet, sign a mediocre veteran for $30m a year.

Think it all depends just how bad we finish. If we finish bad enough to grab maye even with a reasonable trade up I think you gotta take the swing.

If not hopefully grab the best ot and focus on OL /wr while resigning dugger. Im not sure how the qb prospects are once you veer from the top 5 but id honestly rather build up around the qb position and let mac play out the last year than force a pick at a mac/kenny pickett type choice or worse yet, sign a mediocre veteran for $30m a year.
You know that's how Dallas rebuilt thier team from the Offensive line.. Andrews is beat up.. he sees the writing on the wall.. ultimately Jake Andrews will have to show something. I know we can't retain everyone but we need to retain key players going forward to create a winning culture. We need a LT, and WR.. I'd say are the most pressing needs Offensively

You know that's how Dallas rebuilt thier team from the Offensive line.. Andrews is beat up.. he sees the writing on the wall.. ultimately Jake Andrews will have to show something. I know we can't retain everyone but we need to retain key players going forward to create a winning culture. We need a LT, and WR.. I'd say are the most pressing needs Offensively

Right, id keep it simple and just try to fill the needs you pointed out, and qb if the right opportunity presents. I want to keep the d in tact and see what its like at full strength next year before going too crazy there. Question is who will be the gm choosing the moves 2 of these positions are incredibly hard to fill

Right, id keep it simple and just try to fill the needs you pointed out, and qb if the right opportunity presents. I want to keep the d in tact and see what its like at full strength next year before going too crazy there. Question is who will be the gm choosing the moves 2 of these positions are incredibly hard to fill
Yes, unfortunately it's likely going to Be BB.. yes groh and wolf are involved..but he has final say.. so it's apparently obvious salaries are #1 too them or they would have talent on offense not middling complimentary players... I'd say find a way to get adams here and then... there I say it.. try and draft a guy that can actually work out. The defense just needs some upgrades on the defensive line.. those guys are getting up there.. guy is 33, Godchaux is pushing 30, wise is 29.. I'd like to see marte have more of a LB role he's ultra athletic and is what they need. At CB.. outside of gonzo and Jack and Jon we need some depth there.

What's next for the organization?
At 2-6 , no moves made at the deadline. We have who we have. A team that's inconsistent, not talented, and poor play at the QB position.

We know BB is going to try to win every game... that's most coach's mentality. This season spiraled out of control early on coupled with injuries to key players on defense and now offense. I'd imagine the young guys and unproven players will get these next 9 games to show who's part of next season and beyond?

2021 we thought was a spending frenzy.. but In all actuality we got no elite player offensively.

The organizations business model hasn't changed in 19 seasons.. that has to change. The team needs game changers on offense.. we will always have a stout defense, but offensively it's time going forward into the 2024 offseason to change the mentality of the team with FAs and the draft.

Based on things I'm listing who I feel should be part of the future.

Kendrick Bourne (KB)
Jabril peppers
Kyle Dugger
Christian Barmore
Christian Gonzalez
Matt judon
Jack Jones
Juwan Bentley
Marte Marpu

Anfernee Jennings
Keon White
Demario Douglas

Fellow posters feel free to comment..
Stevenson? Schooler? Onwenu? Andrews? Henry? Baringer? Bentley? Strange? P.Brown?

I get the desire to have all pros at every position, but that's not reasonable...

You want to rebuild? Start this off season by focusing on tackles... Left and then right unless a surefire franchise QB is available... Then LT and RT...

You've laid out 12 guys as part of the future... You now have 41 players to scout, poke and prod... Can't do it thru the draft... Can't do it in free agency... How do you fill those holes?

Stevenson? Schooler? Onwenu? Andrews? Henry? Baringer? Bentley? Strange? P.Brown?

I get the desire to have all pros at every position, but that's not reasonable...

You want to rebuild? Start this off season by focusing on tackles... Left and then right unless a surefire franchise QB is available... Then LT and RT...

You've laid out 12 guys as part of the future... You now have 41 players to scout, poke and prod... Can't do it thru the draft... Can't do it in free agency... How do you fill those holes?
Only SF gets to be a playoff favorite without a QB.
==================
Rebuild or reload, ore business as usual? It's all the same without a QB. With QB, we aren't in rebuild mode. The team will compete for the playoffs in 2024.

Consider the obvious. Let's draft a QB in the first and trade a 2nd for Garoppolo after Vegas pays his roster bonus.

Are we in a total REBUILD mode? Of course not.

We have lots of free agency money. Let's start by re-signing our free agents. If we can't add a top OT, then draft one in the 3rd and perhaps even another later. The roster is fine to compete in 2024. But if rebuild mean having a SB team, I don't know how to answer. Some teams never have a SB team. First, we need to be a team that regularly gets into the playoffs. There aren't many of them. We are a QB away from that.

DEFENSE
Re-sign Dugger, and Jennings. Replace Mills with a free safety, and call it a day. We'll have Gonzo, Judon and Ekuale back.
===============
OFFENSE
QUARTERBACK - No one knows, but the Shadow.

WIDE RECEIVER
Re-sign Bourne and see what we have in our youngsters. We even have the possibility that Parker or Shuster could produce as our #4.

RUNNING BACK
Re-sign or replace Zeke.
Add a backup (replacing Montgomery)

TIGHT END
Evaluate and choose. I would expect Brown back.

OFFENSIVE LINE
Re-sign Brown and Onwenu.
So, we start with our current line plus backups Mafi and Andrews. OBVIOUSLY, we need one quality OT and one future contributor. Is it really so much to ask?

BOTTOM LINE
We start with TWO priorities: QB and OT (3rd and 4th). The rest is really on the team already. Of course, we could use a top WR.

Last edited:
Leaving Peace Out GIF by Rockstar Games

This may belong in the draft forum but brugler is the best in the business. His top 50 board came out today. Some tidbits:

•8 OTs in the top 30
•5 WRs in the top 20 (10 in the top 50)
•7 QBs in the top 50

Considering the injuries the pats should pick in the top 5-7. Their win total sits at 5.5 & losing bourne makes them less likely to beat the bad teams obviously. This is a great draft to start year 1 of the offensive rebuild.

If they pick top 3 it’s straightforward with williams, maye & harrison jr. If they pick 5-7 take the best available WR or OT. Then either trade up for WR, OT or QB. Free agency you re-sign Onwenu and sign 1-2 of the best available OL. Pretend defense doesn’t exist. While I want to re-sign dugger they can roll out jonathan jones & peppers at safety and be fine IMO.

Here’s what’s at stake if the pats can manage to finish with a top 3 pick:

The best wide receiver prospect that I have evaluated over the last decade, Harrison (48 catches for 889 yards and eight TDs) offers a rare package of physical traits and savvy, and it has made him nearly uncoverable at the college level. His athletic dexterity and instincts, both as a route runner and at the catch point, are what really separate him — especially for a 6-foot-4 receiver.

Although he isn’t as physically imposing as Julio Jones, there are several similarities between the two, including the way they play strong to the football.

I’m a fan of either drafting a QB or investing in the supporting cast first. It’ll depend where they’ll pick though.

Pape my friend.. relax it's just something I thought of.. it was something off the top of my head. It's not a finished product by any stretch.. yes you mentioned LT. Your absolutely correct that's where it should start.. again it's just to get folks opinion.. it's nothing serious.. just something I thought of.. thank you for mentioning the other important players on STs.. rham isn't going to be here long term IMO he's a back and we all see how backs getting treated in the league these days..

Off what I’ve seen so far in college ball, I don’t think there is a great OT in this draft but certainly plenty that would immediately be better than anyone they could acquire otherwise. The current list of potential OT free agents is underwhelming to say the least. I post this a lot here but year in, year out, you see 4 - 5 OT prospects go in the top 20 so I’m quite sure that will happen again next spring.

So, if the Pats are not in the mix for the top 2 or 3 QBs (say for example they wind up picking 7th) then they absolutely need to go OT there even if it means overdrafting a guy and should snag a second one on Day 2. My only caveat to that would be if they are there at #7 with the top 2 OTs, top 2 QBs, and Harrison off the board, but a top end offensive talent, such as a Bowers or Odunze are there, I’d go with one of them there and go OT with the next pick.

Off what I’ve seen so far in college ball, I don’t think there is a great OT in this draft but certainly plenty that would immediately be better than anyone they could acquire otherwise. The current list of potential OT free agents is underwhelming to say the least. I post this a lot here but year in, year out, you see 4 - 5 OT prospects go in the top 20 so I’m quite sure that will happen again next spring.

So, if the Pats are not in the mix for the top 2 or 3 QBs (say for example they wind up picking 7th) then they absolutely need to go OT there even if it means overdrafting a guy and should snag a second one on Day 2. My only caveat to that would be if they are there at #7 with the top 2 OTs, top 2 QBs, and Harrison off the board, but a top end offensive talent, such as a Bowers or Odunze are there, I’d go with one of them there and go OT with the next pick.
The best option at LT for us in 2024 is probably Brown and Onwenu.

Let's absolutely not.

Garoppolo is barely worth a day three pick at this point.
OK, I guess that we are arguing price. That would be decided by two organizations that most of you dislike.

I'll scale my suggestion down a bit. Use our top pick on a QB, perhaps after a trade up, and acquire Garoppolo or an equivalent level veteran.

My point is that we need two QB's: a veteran and a youngster who could be top 10. I understand that the top 10 QB could come from any round. The odds are much, much better for success in the top 10 of the first round.

OK, I guess that we are arguing price. That would be decided by two organizations that most of you dislike.

I'll scale my suggestion down a bit. Use our top pick on a QB, perhaps after a trade up, and acquire Garoppolo or an equivalent level veteran.

My point is that we need two QB's: a veteran and a youngster who could be top 10. I understand that the top 10 QB could come from any round. The odds are much, much better for success in the top 10 of the first round.
Belichick dumped Hoyer because they couldn't count on him when it came to games. Garoppolo should be off the board for the same reason that Penix should be: both are way too injury prone.

I'm telling everyone to look the the jaguars. Like us they took a QB in the 1st round 2021... urban Myer ruined his first season and culture there in 2021. The owner rectified the issue and spent to get good talent. Getting Ridley I bona-fide number 1 regardless of his suspension and transgressions he's still a top WR in the league.

Having him, Etienne and Kirk have helped Lawrence tremendously. They are doing all of this while Trevor is on his rookie deal. We should be the jags right now. They have playoff experience, a solid roster and a great young QB. At 6-2 they are no longer the bottom of the AFC barrel Like we have become.

I'm telling everyone to look the the jaguars. Like us they took a QB in the 1st round 2021... urban Myer ruined his first season and culture there in 2021. The owner rectified the issue and spent to get good talent. Getting Ridley I bona-fide number 1 regardless of his suspension and transgressions he's still a top WR in the league.

Having him, Etienne and Kirk have helped Lawrence tremendously. They are doing all of this while Trevor is on his rookie deal. We should be the jags right now. They have playoff experience, a solid roster and a great young QB. At 6-2 they are no longer the bottom of the AFC barrel Like we have become.
AN ALTERNATIVE COMPARISON

JAX
Year 1: Lawrence had a coach and OC that almost ruined his career in this rookie year.

The coach was fired. A new OC was brought in.

Year 2: Under new coaching, Lawrence improved and brought the team to the playoffs
Year 3: Lawrence is one of the best QB's in the NFL.

NEP
Year 1: Jones looked good as a rookie QB, developing well under the team working with him.
Year 2: Under new coaching (OC, QB and others), they almost ruined the career of Jones who regressed significantly.
Year 3: The OC was replaced, with little additional coaching help. There were huge problems of injuries on the OL. Jones looks terrible.

THE FUTURE FOR JONES
IMO, Jones will be a backup, or even a starter in the NFL. The question is for what team. And, yes, it is possible that he will never be a top 10 QB. His Year 2 experiences may have completely scuttled any such possibility.

My strong GUESS is that Jones would have continued to improve if Josh and the rest of the team worked with him in Year 2 and Year 3. It is probably too late for Jones here in New England.

The patriots seem set to draft a QB in the first, probably after a trade up, and to sign or trade for a 2-year bridge veteran. But, perhaps not. Belichick can be very stubborn, and it is not at all clear that he or Jonathan is ready for Belichick to start again with a new QB.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back