PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early 2024 FA Primer: How would you address this roster?

AN ALTERNATIVE COMPARISON

JAX
Year 1: Lawrence had a coach and OC that almost ruined his career in this rookie year.

The coach was fired. A new OC was brought in.

Year 2: Under new coaching, Lawrence improved and brought the team to the playoffs
Year 3: Lawrence is one of the best QB's in the NFL.

NEP
Year 1: Jones looked good as a rookie QB, developing well under the team working with him.
Year 2: Under new coaching (OC, QB and others), they almost ruined the career of Jones who regressed significantly.
Year 3: The OC was replaced, with little additional coaching help. There were huge problems of injuries on the OL. Jones looks terrible.

THE FUTURE FOR JONES
IMO, Jones will be a backup, or even a starter in the NFL. The question is for what team. And, yes, it is possible that he will never be a top 10 QB. His Year 2 experiences may have completely scuttled any such possibility.

My strong GUESS is that Jones would have continued to improve if Josh and the rest of the team worked with him in Year 2 and Year 3. It is probably too late for Jones here in New England.

The patriots seem set to draft a QB in the first, probably after a trade up, and to sign or trade for a 2-year bridge veteran. But, perhaps not. Belichick can be very stubborn, and it is not at all clear that he or Jonathan is ready for Belichick to start again with a new QB.
Great comparison! On Mac... yeah it's just time for him to have a change if scenery.. he's still here because of his cheap rookie contract... I think even the biggest Mac supporters can agree that his time in NE is bearing an end. . He hasn't been given the best possible circumstances for a young QB to excel in by way of everything you mentioned. I think he can be a solid QB elsewhere.. it's just not here... my belief is they will sign another veteran in the off season and let them all compete. It's likely we'll remain in the #5 draft position. It's still unreal to me that how badly this season spiraled out of control. The NFL isn't like the NBA or other sports you only get 17 games so there isn't any make up games.

Once you start losses piling up your season is over before it begins. However I feel we should be progressing at the level jags have.. I know Lawrence is a better QB.. but he also has the full support of his owner and head coach that believe in him.

If the Pats get a top 5-7 pick, the targets should include Drake Maye, Marvin Harrison Jr., Joe Alt...maybe Brock Bowers...in that order.

As for QBs other than Maye, I'm not sold at all on the Williams hype. Watched him a couple of times and think that's all it is: hype.

Who are the other five in Brugler's 7 QBs in the top 50? I don't have The Athletic.

One guy I'd like to grab in the later rounds at QB is Sam Hartman. Sneaky good.

AN ALTERNATIVE COMPARISON

JAX
Year 1: Lawrence had a coach and OC that almost ruined his career in this rookie year.

Someone will have to explain to me how a coach ruins a QB’s career. Does he break their confidence? Does the coach teach him all the bad schemes that can never be unlearned? Is the athlete so traumatized from losing/scandal he goes into a coma?

I really don’t understand these weird NFL myths. They’re ridiculous.

Hmmm, No love for Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu?
They are certainly possible. I suspect that if we go LT with our top 5 pick, Jones will probably be on the team for another 2 years.

Someone will have to explain to me how a coach ruins a QB’s career. Does he break their confidence? Does the coach teach him all the bad schemes that can never be unlearned? Is the athlete so traumatized from losing/scandal he goes into a coma?

I really don’t understand these weird NFL myths. They’re ridiculous.
Easy. He drafts him and then doesn't surround him with an OL or Receivers for him to throw to. Then he places defensive coaches as his OCs and watches as the QB struggles. THEN he doesn't learn from his mistakes and again lets MAC start the season without building around him and his particular skill set. I feel so bad for the poor kid. BB likely ruined his career before it had a chance to begin.

If the Pats get a top 5-7 pick, the targets should include Drake Maye, Marvin Harrison Jr., Joe Alt...maybe Brock Bowers...in that order.

As for QBs other than Maye, I'm not sold at all on the Williams hype. Watched him a couple of times and think that's all it is: hype.

Who are the other five in Brugler's 7 QBs in the top 50? I don't have The Athletic.

Double dip on mid round QBs and let all of them compete . Keep 3 QBs on roster to evaluate . Next year is also a lost season but better to use it to find out QB of future . I feel we could get lucky like eagles with a second round or third round QB. Draft a QB in 1sr or second only if they are the BPA.

The conflicting for me is.. do I want BB having final say on our top 5 pick?

The conflicting for me is.. do I want BB having final say on our top 5 pick?

There’s a well mannered special teams gunner from Rutgers who looks the part.

Double dip on mid round QBs and let all of them compete . Keep 3 QBs on roster to evaluate . Next year is also a lost season but better to use it to find out QB of future . I feel we could get lucky like eagles with a second round or third round QB. Draft a QB in 1sr or second only if they are the BPA.
There is absolutely no reason to believe that a 2nd or 3rd round QB will be a top 10 QB. I suppose we could do this every year until we get luck. Some teams have looked for a QB for a decade.

Uf no QB is worthy of the first round, then we need to spend what it take to sign a veteran QB, perhaps $20M a year while we draft a couple of QB's as you suggest. My GUESS is that Belichick (if he is here) will move down in the first and draft a QB and an OT in the first 40 picks. It is quite possible that only 2 QB's will be worth a top 10 pick.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that a 2nd or 3rd round QB will be a top 10 QB. I suppose we could do this every year until we get luck. Some teams have looked for a QB for a decade.

Uf no QB is worthy of the first round, then we need to spend what it take to sign a veteran QB, perhaps $20M a year while we draft a couple of QB's as you suggest. My GUESS is that Belichick (if he is here) will move down in the first and draft a QB and an OT in the first 40 picks. It is quite possible that only 2 QB's will be worth a top 10 pick.
Jalen hurts , Brock purdy, Russel Wilson , cousins , Dak Prescott says hi

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Herbert, Trevor Lawrence and mahomes are consensus top picks who panned out. Mahomes was a steal at 10.

I can get on board with this thinking. Maye and Williams are rated much higher than the others, but I hear the middle grouping of potential is really good this year.

LOL.. I'll never forget him gushing over Sebastián Jankowski..
Looking back at that draft, what player(s) taken after Janikowski had a better career? Draft him and you solve your kicking problems for 15+ years and looking back, you missed out on basically no one. I was thinking WTF? when it happened, but much like drafting Ray Guy in the first, Al knew what he was doing.

Jalen hurts , Brock purdy, Russel Wilson , cousins , Dak Prescott says hi

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Herbert, Trevor Lawrence and mahomes are consensus top picks who panned out. Mahomes was a steal at 10.
Please list all of th QB drafted in those years. There would have been many misses by NEP.

Consider the obvious. Let's draft a QB in the first and trade a 2nd for Garoppolo after Vegas pays his roster bonus.
Holy... o_O

Looking back at that draft, what player(s) taken after Janikowski had a better career? Draft him and you solve your kicking problems for 15+ years and looking back, you missed out on basically no one. I was thinking WTF? when it happened, but much like drafting Ray Guy in the first, Al knew what he was doing.
Yes, your absolutely correct. We had 2 great kickers for a long time in Adam Vinatieri and then in 06 drafting Gostowski. It's clearly evident by this past off season he's still infatuated with special teams.

First - and this goes without saying - we clearly do not know who will be at the wheel for personnel decisions this spring. This discussion is less about figuring out who will be making the decisions, and what their mindset will be. This is more just a practice to take a look at our current roster, evaluate FA's, and see what we feel like will be moves we want to see made with the current FA's scheduled to be on the market.

First, our current FA's, for reference:

2024 NFL Free Agents Tracker

2024 NFL Free Agency Primer: Top 10 free agents at every position | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Here is a list from PFF projecting the top 10 players at each position. It is PFF, so some of these rankings I don't entirely agree with. But it still gives us good references at who will be available at each position. I will copy this down, just so those can reference who will be on the market.

All in all, what all should we be targeting? I think priority one is to determine what the plan is at QB. If we are in a great position to land a QB in the top 2-3, I would say we could probably sign a lower end vet to pair off with Zappe as the backup. However, if we are not in that position, and looking like we would be more likely to take a developmental guy in late round 1-3, it would be better to be more aggressive and pursue a Cousins, or even a Minshew.

After that, I would say to evaluate our FA's on the market with whomever else is on the FA market.

I think resigning Dugger, Henry and Bourne and Jennings feel like good moves, because I don't expect any of those four to hit major numbers on the market.

With how deep the FA class is at edge, even a guy like Uche may even come back cheap at this rate, although I would not mind looking elsewhere at the position with how many options there are out there. I feel the same with Elliott at RB. I'm not opposed to him re signing, but there are plenty of quality RB options on the market. We may be able to upgrade at the position looking elsewhere.

I do think resigning one of Brown/Onwenu looks to be a good move to maintain a level of stability. Bring one back, so you can at least build up off on the base of Andrews, Strange, one of those two, McDermott and the several mid rounders we selected last year.

After that, I do go all in on targeting a potential 1 at WR that is below the age of 30. (only exception here is if you decide to go all in on targeting Marvin Jr.) Given the problems we have had at the position, I'm good with us breaking the bank here. Go after Higgins, Brown, Ridley, and Pittman. Would have to think at least 1-2 will be available. I also really like the upside of a Gabe Davis there, too.

I would also spend on another quality starter on the OL. Not many options at tackle besides our own guys already on the market, preferably someone who could be a long-term starter here so that would make a guy like Tyron Smith not the best fit. Jonah Williams would probably be the one other option here. Interior OL has several good options here, Hunt, Dotson, Brewer, Jonah Jackson Cleveland, and Williams/James at C would all be quality starters that I would be pursuing. Ideally resigning one of our OL, signing one quality starter, and drafting another with the 2nd rounder feels like the best route to fix the OL.

I don't have any other positions I'd consider immediate needs on the roster to pursue in FA, but definitely could use another piece or two on defense. Would be smart to continue to add young pieces there.

Thoughts?

To me much depends on who gets re-signed. It's intersting to note that from that PFF list there are several Patriots mentioned: their #2 and #3 OT, #3 TE, #2 S, plus a few others within the Top 10.

While QB has rightfully been the main focus of discussion in regards to the 2024 roster, OT should be a close second. If Brown signs elsewhere you almost feel compelled to trade up with the second round pick to draft a decent OT.

First - and this goes without saying - we clearly do not know who will be at the wheel for personnel decisions this spring. This discussion is less about figuring out who will be making the decisions, and what their mindset will be. This is more just a practice to take a look at our current roster, evaluate FA's, and see what we feel like will be moves we want to see made with the current FA's scheduled to be on the market.

First, our current FA's, for reference:

2024 NFL Free Agents Tracker

2024 NFL Free Agency Primer: Top 10 free agents at every position | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Here is a list from PFF projecting the top 10 players at each position. It is PFF, so some of these rankings I don't entirely agree with. But it still gives us good references at who will be available at each position. I will copy this down, just so those can reference who will be on the market.

All in all, what all should we be targeting? I think priority one is to determine what the plan is at QB. If we are in a great position to land a QB in the top 2-3, I would say we could probably sign a lower end vet to pair off with Zappe as the backup. However, if we are not in that position, and looking like we would be more likely to take a developmental guy in late round 1-3, it would be better to be more aggressive and pursue a Cousins, or even a Minshew.

After that, I would say to evaluate our FA's on the market with whomever else is on the FA market.

I think resigning Dugger, Henry and Bourne and Jennings feel like good moves, because I don't expect any of those four to hit major numbers on the market.

With how deep the FA class is at edge, even a guy like Uche may even come back cheap at this rate, although I would not mind looking elsewhere at the position with how many options there are out there. I feel the same with Elliott at RB. I'm not opposed to him re signing, but there are plenty of quality RB options on the market. We may be able to upgrade at the position looking elsewhere.

I do think resigning one of Brown/Onwenu looks to be a good move to maintain a level of stability. Bring one back, so you can at least build up off on the base of Andrews, Strange, one of those two, McDermott and the several mid rounders we selected last year.

After that, I do go all in on targeting a potential 1 at WR that is below the age of 30. (only exception here is if you decide to go all in on targeting Marvin Jr.) Given the problems we have had at the position, I'm good with us breaking the bank here. Go after Higgins, Brown, Ridley, and Pittman. Would have to think at least 1-2 will be available. I also really like the upside of a Gabe Davis there, too.

I would also spend on another quality starter on the OL. Not many options at tackle besides our own guys already on the market, preferably someone who could be a long-term starter here so that would make a guy like Tyron Smith not the best fit. Jonah Williams would probably be the one other option here. Interior OL has several good options here, Hunt, Dotson, Brewer, Jonah Jackson Cleveland, and Williams/James at C would all be quality starters that I would be pursuing. Ideally resigning one of our OL, signing one quality starter, and drafting another with the 2nd rounder feels like the best route to fix the OL.

I don't have any other positions I'd consider immediate needs on the roster to pursue in FA, but definitely could use another piece or two on defense. Would be smart to continue to add young pieces there.

Thoughts?
Merged this into the other thread, which had some suggestions for this.

I agree on the four moves you mentioned ( Dugger, Henry, Bourne and Jennings). I also don't know what kind of interest Uche is going to garner, but he may be worth considering unless his price tag skyrockets, but I honestly can't see him getting much interest unless he's putting something on film we're not seeing.

I think Onwenu needs to be a priority, although I don't know if I'd go back to the well one more time with Brown. Sort of feels like they've gotten about what they can from him and I don't know how much longer that one will last.

I'd say Elliott would be another player I'd consider, and I do like what I've seen from Pharoah Brown as a 3rd tight end.

Certainly some intriguing names out there in free agency after this year:

Question, I'm sure for many of them, is going to be waiting to see the direction this franchise is heading in, which my also complicate things as the club tries to attract players and start building next year's roster.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back