PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early 2024 FA Primer: How would you address this roster?

To me much depends on who gets re-signed. It's intersting to note that from that PFF list there are several Patriots mentioned: their #2 and #3 OT, #3 TE, #2 S, plus a few others within the Top 10.

While QB has rightfully been the main focus of discussion in regards to the 2024 roster, OT should be a close second. If Brown signs elsewhere you almost feel compelled to trade up with the second round pick to draft a decent OT.
Definitely agree. The only other viable options out in the market at tackle right now, outside our own, are both injury prone players in Smith and Williams.

This is why I'd rather address WR first in FA. Seems like there will likely be more viable options. This would also mean we could wait until rounds 3-4 to swing on another WR in the draft. With a new GM, it may actually be a decent player!

To me much depends on who gets re-signed. It's intersting to note that from that PFF list there are several Patriots mentioned: their #2 and #3 OT, #3 TE, #2 S, plus a few others within the Top 10.

While QB has rightfully been the main focus of discussion in regards to the 2024 roster, OT should be a close second. If Brown signs elsewhere you almost feel compelled to trade up with the second round pick to draft a decent OT.
if the pats OT are ranked #2 and #3 then we better focus on the draft to improve that position

Definitely agree. The only other viable options out in the market at tackle right now, outside our own, are both injury prone players in Smith and Williams.

This is why I'd rather address WR first in FA. Seems like there will likely be more viable options. This would also mean we could wait until rounds 3-4 to swing on another WR in the draft. With a new GM, it may actually be a decent player!
I think paying for FA tackles is usually a losing proposition unless it’s a single position holding you back. Other teams tend to keep their OTs until the tread is wearing out and the premium on an FA OT is high. Under the premise of also needing to develop a QB we should also draft an OT and have them on a rookie deal.

Merged this into the other thread, which had some suggestions for this.

I agree on the four moves you mentioned ( Dugger, Henry, Bourne and Jennings). I also don't know what kind of interest Uche is going to garner, but he may be worth considering unless his price tag skyrockets.

I think Onwenu needs to be a priority, although I don't know if I'd go back to the well one more time with Brown. Sort of feels like they've gotten about what they can from him and I don't know how much longer that one will last.

I'd say Elliott would be another player I'd consider, and I do like what I've seen from Pharoah Brown as a 3rd tight end.

Certainly some intriguing names out there in free agency after this year:

Question, I'm sure for many of them is going to be waiting to see the direction this franchise is heading in, which my also complicate things as the club tries to attract players and start building next year's roster.
I wasn't thinking about more of the depth pieces so much, but Brown was someone I thought about after posting. He'd be a great guy to bring back in.

We really don't have loads of depth players that will be hitting the market, which is nice. Mack Wilson and Myles Bryant may come back on the cheap. Kinda think Mills and Gesicki are done here, but we'll see. Some aging special teams players like Davis and Slater that may be more closer to retiring. That's pretty much it besides some RFA, ERFA guys.

Lastly, in terms of players we move off from (besides the two obvious ones in Mac and JC Jackson):

I think we definitely should move off Godchaux. Currently an 11 mill cap hit, but only 3.5 in dead $, so it would free up a lot of room cutting a guy who has declined a bit here.

Juju likely gets moved off. This one is more having to bite the bullet here, since it doesn't save us anything in cap. But the move just didn't work out here.

Think this could be the year Guy finally gets let go, but could understand either way since his cap # is pretty low.

Adrian Phillips would probably be the fourth one here. Even though his cap # is only around 4 million, the guy just barely plays anymore. Think it's time to move on, though I loved the guy early during his time here. Cutting these four (along with JC) Saves $22 million (roughly) on the cap. Adds even more to cap space we already had an abundance with.

Judon and Wise both have a case to be cut candidates, but would rather keep those two around since they still are performing at a high level.

Reactions: Ian
I just wish payment for season tickets was not due until after the draft & free agency

I can't believe I am doing this @Real fan 02
Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

I want to get one of the following: Tee Higgins, Pittman Jr, Ridley, maybe Josh Reynolds. That's assuming they don't draft MHJ. If they get MHJ, then I am am happy with being Bourne again, Pop, Parker and whoever else is left.

I agree never too early, before the draft teams like to have a capable (cough) player at every position then add gravy over the roster through the draft.

The NFL provides the opportunity for a 2-3 year turnaround, the playoffs in 2 years is not unreasonable. By then there will be greater than 60% plus new faces on the roster. All of this assumes they have “their guy” at QB.

I would go big, swing for:
- Chris Jones - Chiefs - make defense special
- Mike Evans - Bucs - need at least one WR teams have to cover
- Tyrone Smith - Cowboys- I am ok with bringing Brown back but the lines needs some dogs

Then go to the bargain bin, fill in spots via the draft and create a culture of competition.

At least it would be fun to watch.

I have always remembered Parcells and Belichick in NY.
The OL line was horrendous and the draft did not produce.
I was thinking LOL .... this is great for us.
They then brought many fat guys in ... undrafted ...FA post draft ... there was a great competition now.
That led to an above average line ... so one thing to address ... let's be a top player in undrafted and FA fat guys.

I wasn't thinking about more of the depth pieces so much, but Brown was someone I thought about after posting. He'd be a great guy to bring back in.

We really don't have loads of depth players that will be hitting the market, which is nice. Mack Wilson and Myles Bryant may come back on the cheap. Kinda think Mills and Gesicki are done here, but we'll see. Some aging special teams players like Davis and Slater that may be more closer to retiring. That's pretty much it besides some RFA, ERFA guys.

Lastly, in terms of players we move off from (besides the two obvious ones in Mac and JC Jackson):

I think we definitely should move off Godchaux. Currently an 11 mill cap hit, but only 3.5 in dead $, so it would free up a lot of room cutting a guy who has declined a bit here.

Juju likely gets moved off. This one is more having to bite the bullet here, since it doesn't save us anything in cap. But the move just didn't work out here.

Think this could be the year Guy finally gets let go, but could understand either way since his cap # is pretty low.

Adrian Phillips would probably be the fourth one here. Even though his cap # is only around 4 million, the guy just barely plays anymore. Think it's time to move on, though I loved the guy early during his time here. Cutting these four (along with JC) Saves $22 million (roughly) on the cap. Adds even more to cap space we already had an abundance with.

Judon and Wise both have a case to be cut candidates, but would rather keep those two around since they still are performing at a high level.
I like Godchaux. Playing well and seems like a good team guy. I think he's a keeper. Same with Judon and Wise. I think we need some good character guys at the core for the next run.

Merged this into the other thread, which had some suggestions for this.

I agree on the four moves you mentioned ( Dugger, Henry, Bourne and Jennings). I also don't know what kind of interest Uche is going to garner, but he may be worth considering unless his price tag skyrockets, but I honestly can't see him getting much interest unless he's putting something on film we're not seeing.

I think Onwenu needs to be a priority, although I don't know if I'd go back to the well one more time with Brown. Sort of feels like they've gotten about what they can from him and I don't know how much longer that one will last.

I'd say Elliott would be another player I'd consider, and I do like what I've seen from Pharoah Brown as a 3rd tight end.

Certainly some intriguing names out there in free agency after this year:

Question, I'm sure for many of them, is going to be waiting to see the direction this franchise is heading in, which my also complicate things as the club tries to attract players and start building next year's roster.
Ian,

Your always on the money! If the teams already hasn't. I believe they have to start right now.. this is pretty much the off season right now for them. Identify players that they feel are pillars for the organization going forward into post BB.

My inclination is peppers, Dugger, ownenu, barmore, judon, Gonzo, Tavai, Bentley, white, Jennings, marpu, Douglas, are just some names of guys I believe should be part of going forward. More of a revamp not a rebuild. I'm with you absolutely Bring zeke back. We also need to find a 3rd down back. Currently that players not on the roster. Elckler could be a roster casualty with the new GM. Maybe he's available?

Reactions: Ian
I think paying for FA tackles is usually a losing proposition unless it’s a single position holding you back. Other teams tend to keep their OTs until the tread is wearing out and the premium on an FA OT is high. Under the premise of also needing to develop a QB we should also draft an OT and have them on a rookie deal.
I think that considering signing your own free agent OT's is different than simply "paying for FA" tackles.

I would think that we'd pay a lot for Onwenu, more than other teams.

While Brown is probably gone, he may be a reasonable choice to share the LT position, or as a swing OT.

Yes, we should go into free agency expecting to draft an OT in the first round and probably another in the 4th. We might have to trade up into the first.

IN ANY CASE,
I go into free agency expecting to draft a QB and an LT in the first, and even using a 3rd if necessary to accomplish this goal.

OUR OWN FREE AGENTS
I don't look to the draft to replace any of our free agents that we don't re-sign. I would expect to accomplish this in free agency. For me, the draft is all about QB's and OT's, and perhaps an interior OL.

FREE AGENTS (14, a fairly "normal" number")

MAC JONES (not techncally a free agent, but he must be replaced)
ONWENU
BROWN
BOURNE
HENRY
GESICKI
BROWN
ELLIOTT
MONTGOMERY

JENNINGS
UCHE
WILSON
BRYANT
MILLS
JACKSON (not really a free agent, but his $12M salary make him likely to get cut)

I don't think that re-signing of replacing these 15 will use up all of our cap money. Hopefully, there be some cap money left to upgrade a position or two, especially WR.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. Guess this will be our official 2024 FA thread?

Anyway, was looking at FA options for offense and complied the below list:

WR
Tee Higgins
Michael Pittman, Jr.
Mike Evans
Marquise Brown
Calvin Ridley
Darnell Mooney
Tyler Boyd
Gabriel Davis
D.J. Chark
Michael Thomas (Saints)
Curtis Samuel
Kendrick Bourne
Josh Reynolds
Nick Westbrook-Ikhine
K.J. Osborn

OT (T/G)
Tyron Smith
Trent Brown
Mike Onwenu
Mekhi Becton
Jonah Williams
Austin Jackson
Donovan Smith
Jermaine Eluemunor
George Fant
Josh Jones
Robert Hunt (can play tackle)

TE
Dalton Schultz
Noah Fant
Hunter Henry
Gerald Everett
Adam Trautman
Austin Hooper
Mike Gesicki
Colby Parkinson
Pharaoh Brown
Harrison Bryant

Thoughts? My thought is that there are plenty of WR's we could sign in FA and not need to draft MHJ....and that we should be aggressive at OT and snatch at least one starter out of the bunch....then draft the other guy in April....

Bumping this thread. Guess this will be our official 2024 FA thread?

Anyway, was looking at FA options for offense and complied the below list:

WR
Tee Higgins
Michael Pittman, Jr.
Mike Evans
Marquise Brown
Calvin Ridley
Darnell Mooney
Tyler Boyd
Gabriel Davis
D.J. Chark
Michael Thomas (Saints)
Curtis Samuel
Kendrick Bourne
Josh Reynolds
Nick Westbrook-Ikhine
K.J. Osborn

OT (T/G)
Tyron Smith
Trent Brown
Mike Onwenu
Mekhi Becton
Jonah Williams
Austin Jackson
Donovan Smith
Jermaine Eluemunor
George Fant
Josh Jones
Robert Hunt (can play tackle)

TE
Dalton Schultz
Noah Fant
Hunter Henry
Gerald Everett
Adam Trautman
Austin Hooper
Mike Gesicki
Colby Parkinson
Pharaoh Brown
Harrison Bryant

Thoughts? My thought is that there are plenty of WR's we could sign in FA and not need to draft MHJ....and that we should be aggressive at OT and snatch at least one starter out of the bunch....then draft the other guy in April....
i agree with you
thanks for the effort on that list, good to see OT, WR and TE together

Honestly i think the OT class is much weaker than last year, Austin Jackson looks intriguing from an Age and recent performance standpoint but he will have plenty of suitors. I don't want Trent Quitter Brown back

there are some young exciting WR prospects who could be a very good #2 or low tier #1 here and help the hopefully young QB

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back