PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Euro 2008

Semi Final
Germany 3-2 Turkey
A very undeserved victory for the pre-tournament favourites.
They are in the final now, and I don't think they could play any worse. They aren't a good team at all.
Hats off to the Turks. Played very well. Attacking football.:D I didn't want them to win, but in the end I hoped they would.

Germans are all over the place at the back, absolutely terrible and yet they're in the final...

It seemed to me Turkey simply ran out of steam at the end after fighting and pressing so hard for 85 minutes. Though I'm sure they're disappointed, their showing in this cup should be commended. Some memorable moments thanks to Turkey, and I look forward to them in South Africa.

And because I'm tired of the usual suspects, I'm rooting for Russia though I don't expect they'll pull through.

Please don't let Germany win this whole thing. ugggh.

We'll see what happens after the final whistle!!:eek:

Well, the final whistle has blown and I've done my research.

First, if you were registered with the U.S. Embassy, you would have known to stay in bed with the blankets pulled tightly over your head.:eek: Here is their e-mail:

June 24, 2008 Warden Message

"On Wednesday evening, June 25, Germany and Turkey will meet in the semifinal round of the 2008 European Football Championship in Basel, Switzerland. Various cities in Germany have set up viewing areas for the public to watch the live broadcast of this game. The "Fan Mile" in front of the Brandenberg Gate in Berlin is expected to draw up to 500,000 German and Turkish fans, Frankfurt am Main will host a public viewing area at the Rossmarkt, and Munich is setting up a large public viewing area at the Olympic Stadium where 30,000 fans are anticipated. Similar events are planned in other cities and spontaneous celebrations or demonstrations related to the match may occur throughout Germany.

Because of the high fan interest in this prestigious semi-final elimination game between Germany and Turkey, there exists the possibility that disturbances, including violent disturbances may occur before, during or after the match, which begins at 20:45. At a minimum, post-game celebrations will likely result in traffic congestion in larger cities. Crowds celebrating previous German and/or Turkish victories have blocked streets and rocked vehicles attempting to pass through them.

We remind American citizens in Germany that even mass gatherings and demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations. American citizens should stay current with media coverage of local events and be aware of their surroundings at all times."

And may I remind you, that it's BrandenbUrg not BrandenbErg? "Burg" is a fortress, "Berg" a mountain, as you will remember from when you learned German. Oh wait, I'm making a big assumption here ...

Apart from that, there seems to have been remarkably little disturbance and no significant violence. A LOT of fireworks were let off. Apparently, some geniuses in Pankow (Berlin suburb) decided to fill a telephone booth with fireworks and see what happened. What happened was that they blew the glass out and into a passing car. Duh!

As for the predicted German-Turk clashes, I can only tell you what I heard from a Turkish guy I spoke to today. He told me that he watched the match with his Turkish friends in Kreuzberg (main concentration of Turks in Berlin) but then, when the match was over, headed in to the centre of town to celebrate with his German friends.

That all sounds pretty good to me.

Now let's see what happens when Spain play Russia. :)

Mike the Brit.
Do you think it was all ok because the result went the 'correct' way? If the minority Turks won, would it have been as friendly I wonder.
I know there was a lot of trouble between the Turks and Croats in the aftermath of their game.
Good to see anyhow.:D
Spain to win tonight, btw.;)

Mike the Brit.
Do you think it was all ok because the result went the 'correct' way? If the minority Turks won, would it have been as friendly I wonder.
I know there was a lot of trouble between the Turks and Croats in the aftermath of their game.

Colour me generally cynical (and about Germany in particular) but I think that they have really bought in to this "friendship through sport" and "fair play" thing (as had my Turkish friend). So the commentator was full of compliments for the Turks for their goal (well deserved, had been coming ... how unlike Alan-Partridge-in-Union-Jack-underpants, John Motson). The "trouble", such as it was, was really just excessive celebration. I don't know what it would have been like to be brown skinned on the streets of some slummy town in former East Germany if the Turks had won, though.

Good to see anyhow.:D
Spain to win tonight, btw.;)

Just watched here and there, but dead boring so far ...

Last edited:
Spain 1up V Russia at the start of the 2nd half.:D

72mins
Spain 2up:D
Not before time! Playing the Russkies off the park.

Semi Final
Vienna
Spain 3-0 Russia
A very confortable win for the Spanish. I don't know what happened to the much vaunted Russian attack. They just didn't perform on the night.
Men of the match for me, the unsung heroes, Senna and Silva in the Spanish midfield.

so who does everybody think to will win the final?

spain 2-germany 1

for me.

:ditto:
I really hope the Spanish win it. Quite simply, they are a much better footballing team.

Can't make up my mind.

3-2 Spain

or

1-1 draw and Germany winning on penalty kicks. :eek:

GO SPAIN
:eat3: ... :eat3: ... :eat3:

5 minutes into the final, but my prediction stays. 3-1 to Germany after extra time.

Edit: 34 minutes. Great goal by Torres. Against the run of play? Well, for the first fifteen minutes, the Spaniards couldn't get out of their own half. Now things are loosening up ...

Last edited:
Euro Final
Spain 1-0 Germany after 33mins!!:D
Fernando Torres. A great goal by a great player.:D
I expect Spain to rip their defence to shreds now:eek:

Euro Final
Half Time
Spain 1-0 Germany
A very good game for a final, imho.:snob:
Germans started well, used their power, but couldn't get a goal.
As the game went on, Spain got a grip of the game and got their passing together. They scored a very good goal. They are now running ragged the German defence. The central defenders are like pillars of stone. The smaller Spanish players are picking their way through them.
Ballack, for the Germans is losing the plot a little. I think he already knows this game is over.:eek:
As said before, the referee is a ****.:enranged:

Euro Final
Half Time
Spain 1-0 Germany
A very good game for a final, imho.:snob:
Germans started well, used their power, but couldn't get a goal.
As the game went on, Spain got a grip of the game and got their passing together. They scored a very good goal. They are now running ragged the German defence. The central defenders are like pillars of stone. The smaller Spanish players are picking their way through them.
Ballack, for the Germans is losing the plot a little. I think he already knows this game is over.:eek:
As said before, the referee is a ****.:enranged:

Guenther Netzer (yes, THAT Guenther Netzer) was very critical of the lack of aggression and willingness to get involved in the German midfield at half-time. I've got some sympathy for Ballack. That was one heck of a bang he took on the head. So far, it doesn't look as though the Germans have managed to re-group.

Klose takes a boot in a central area. Germans start to give the ball away. The Germans look like a boxer whose knees are starting to wobble. One more goal and that's it ...

And it nearly comes from a corner.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back