PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hope that Mayo, Groh and Wolf are paying attention tonight.

The biggest loser of last night is the Browns for giving up on Mayfield and giving the bag to Watson. So unbelievably stupid.
The Browns are cursed forever.

Everybody has a gun arm sans purdy who has an all star team around him .. 7 all pros ...

Considering what we have it might be best for us to draft someone with a gun arm and hope it works out as we build the rest of roster. For now Mac can go and succeed only in SF where he has necessary talent to elevate him.

The Bucs are a great example of what can happen when you upgrade at the QB position. If the Pats make the right decision at QB this offseason, their offense can rapidly go from anemic to potent, just like Tampa from 2022 to this year.
Per Pro Football Reference stats Bucs had the 20th ranked offense, they were 14th in Net Yards per attempt (top 10 in this stat all made the playoffs) and the rest of the division was worse than Tampa Bay in that stat. They are not a potent offense.

They would not be in the playoffs if they were not in a crap division, they beat 1 good team all year, the Packers. They played a terrible Eagles team that couldn't beat anybody down the stretch, they are getting annihilated next week. Mayfield has been OK; they are a middle of the pack team that got lucky that their division had teams worst then them and they drew the Eagles in round 1. Midde of the road QB equals middle of the road team.

Tampa Bay is a poor example.
Every advanced analysis says QB is by far the most important position in the NFL and that you need to draft the QB to get one.

All the top receivers are home watching, all the top QB's are still playing. It's not rocket science; it is just a question of drafting the right guy but you do have to draft them to get 1. Even the Lions and Rams traded the guys they drafted to each other.

Watching the playoffs is like watching a different game.

I can't stand how impotent our offense has been the last two seasons.

BB placed more emphasis on special teams then he did on offense.
I actually got a opposite opinion of this.
I saw alot of bad to horrific defense and tackling

Mayo can't be blind to the offensive ineptitude of the last 4 years. He was a D-coach the entire time and saw it every day in practice.
I also pray he's smart enough to *help hire a good OC. We need a new, modern spark on this team.

The longer it goes, the more I think it may not be BOB or JMD - which could be a good thing.
I thought Nick Caley could be a great idea - I was pulling for him in '22 after JMD left. But he's since been with McVay, and could bring a lot of new ideas, while being well versed in the "Patriot way".

watching the resurrection of guys like Goff and mayfield is interesting to watch. Maybe some guys just develop at different rates.

Also could be that the bucs have a roster that has mayfield throwing to Evan’s/godwin.

I mean if we don’t upgrade the position whomever we get will be throwing to juju/parker
This is actually interesting. If Goff or mayfield go to the superbowl it will be the 4th time in recent past where the qb was carried heavily by game plan and all star cast Eli, Peyton, russell w, nick foles.

So either you hit jackpot on unmissable qb prospect or build the team around the game managers.

I think we might end up veering towards latter. Fields trade stock is going to rise.

Mayo can't be blind to the offensive ineptitude of the last 4 years. He was a D-coach the entire time and saw it every day in practice.
I also pray he's smart enough to *help hire a good OC. We need a new, modern spark on this team.

The longer it goes, the more I think it may not be BOB or JMD - which could be a good thing.
I thought Nick Caley could be a great idea - I was pulling for him in '22 after JMD left. But he's since been with McVay, and could bring a lot of new ideas, while being well versed in the "Patriot way".
I'm not.opposed to giving BOB a shot if he's allowed to bring in his offensive staff and let him have full control of it.
Would Mayo want thst though?

The Bucs are a great example of what can happen when you upgrade at the QB position. If the Pats make the right decision at QB this offseason, their offense can rapidly go from anemic to potent, just like Tampa from 2022 to this year.

I get the exact opposite take. The lesson from last night was unless you have a top QB, you gotta surround him with talent. Baker Mayfield is an average QB, but he has a very good receiving corp. He is journeyman. And it paid off. Jalen Hurts was missing AJ Brown and he wilted.

Nope

Corky is back per Kraft and Mayo has no say in the matter. Just like the Cowboys clownshow with every HC stuck with Sack Prescott because of Jerry.

All you peoples wanted BB out.

Wrong.

Bill did need to go as GM. The results spoke for them self.

Hurts is over rated.

Hurts, like Tua and Purdy, are products of the players around them. All have elite receiving options and great systems making them look better than they are. All of them would have looked awful if they played for the Patriots the last two years. Maybe not as bad as Mac or Zappe played this year, but they would have been bad.

I hope Mayo also took some lessons from the Dolphins/Chiefs game. The Dolphins have a "nice guy" "players coach" and they didn't practice even once in cold conditions. They played in a high-pressure game in extremely adverse weather. And they folded like cheap suits.

It's one of my bigger concerns with Mayo. One thing I loved (and I'm sure the players hated) was BB practiced the team in all kinds of weather. He loved very hot days in August, or rainy, muddy or snowy practice days. Because practice in those conditions prepared the team for games in those conditions. And BBs strict discipline when it came to being on time, no players saying too much to the press, no off-field BS, the rigorous study of their opponents and frequent "quizzes" of the players, etc. translated to how they dealt with high pressure situations

I'm concerned Mayo will relent if he does some of the same things as BB and players complain.

I hope Mayo also took some lessons from the Dolphins/Chiefs game. The Dolphins have a "nice guy" "players coach" and they didn't practice even once in cold conditions. They played in a high-pressure game in extremely adverse weather. And they folded like cheap suits.

It's one of my bigger concerns with Mayo. One thing I loved (and I'm sure the players hated) was BB practiced the team in all kinds of weather. He loved very hot days in August, or rainy, muddy or snowy practice days. Because practice in those conditions prepared the team for games in those conditions. And BBs strict discipline when it came to being on time, no players saying too much to the press, no off-field BS, the rigorous study of their opponents and frequent "quizzes" of the players, etc. translated to how they dealt with high pressure situations

I'm concerned Mayo will relent if he does some of the same things as BB and players complain.

A lot of people said that that the Dolphins were too much a finesse team to win in extreme cold, but I don't know how that relates to the Patriots or Mayo. Mayo may be more of a player coach than Belichick, but he isn't a goof ball like McDaniel. Mayo is somewhere in the middle of the two. And grew up playing in Belichick system. I don't think he is going to radically change things for the team. I don't see him being soft.

If Mayo fails as a head coach, he won't fail because he is too soft on players and he does things like practice inside on cold days.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back