PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - pregame break down - Pats/Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prediction: The Jest are going to get azzraped(Gronked) by our TE's. This is going to be alot of fun.

Hernandez and Gronk and Tate has huge games as we win.Tate is a threat on pr.

The TNT will 2 gap, so all they will do is eat up blockers on the line. It can be zone or cover 0 under, with the LB's depending on the formation you see on offense. The main thing is this allows for a zone over (cover 3). With a cover 3 you at least can challenge the seam. With the base 46 (ETNE), you have nothing left for the seam which is where Gronk or presumably Hern will assassinate you.

psycho

I think you hit the nail on the head. Sounds like a better way of forcing some turnovers.

if i remember correctly, last yr in week 2 the pats did have success running the ball. they just stopped running. just like the pats defense this week will be geared to stop the run, i think the jets D was last week agaisnt the ravens . i think the pats will have room to run if they want to

Will be exciting to watch how our young players react in a prime-time game on the road. This looks to be a big-time battle and will probably come down to 1 or 2 plays. To me the key to this game will be protecting Brady.

psycho

I think you hit the nail on the head. Sounds like a better way of forcing some turnovers.

It looks good in theory, but who knows what they will actually implement on the field? For all we know, I'm completely wrong.

Great post franken.
Although I think the empty backfield (TE version) will be productive, I still see draws/screens to Faulk also being effective; if nothing else to keep the blitz honest. As with others, I see the TEs being the difference between the games last year, and I think it is Crumpler who might be the most important here with killer blitz blocking and some release catches.

I also think the Jets will focus on Welker, so the other receivers will be more productive, including Moss.

On the other side, I see this game as make or break for Sanchez. Another poor performance like the last week, in which his OC seemed to not want him out there and/or have no confidence in him and there could be a QB controversy in their camp soon enough. My guess is he has a good game once the reins are let loose. However, my feel is that the running game is going to stagnate, as the jets release they let their best offensive players leave over the off-season (why I have no idea). Anyway should be a good game and if it leaves the Jests 0-2 a lot of entertainment for the coming week.

i agree that the revis moss battle wont decide the game.. in part.

I think if revis keeps moss to what he got last year i think it won't really affect the outcome it will be what the jets do with welker et al. But i really think this i a Win Win for moss. If he has a big game it will have a big effect on the jets. If he goes same ol same ol i still think he will have a positive effect on the game for the pats because of the threat he creates.

By no way am i saying revis doesn't have an affect on the game just that this battle in my opinion will only really be telling to the outcome if moss wins it

I will be happy if gronk and hern can handle blitz pickup. I dont want brady to break and arm on a fumble and be out for the season.

If these are idle thoughts, what do you do when you really concentrate on something? :rolleyes::rocker:

I will be happy if gronk and hern can handle blitz pickup. I dont want brady to break and arm on a fumble and be out for the season.

That is the big "IF." They didn't do a great job of blocking in the last game. It looks like they're still adjusting to the NFL speed.

Question: do teams change their signals every season?

Why I ask - since the Fins had our offensive signals and crushed us a few seasons back, I wonder if Jason Tyler - presumably having that info - can cause problems to our OL.

This would be moot if the signals were changed, which I assume must have happened immediately that Fins game but still thought of checking with the more knowledgable fans. Thanks!

Thanks for the great break down PatsFanKen - as well as the many that responded with their own analysis.

Figured I'd post this here rather start a separate thread. Not as good as PFK's detailed write-up, but Jeff Howe from NESN - who quietly has become one of the better columnists that follows the Pats, in my opinion - writes about the Pats' challenge in overcoming the Jets' defense.

Solving Rex Ryan's Complicated Blitz Schemes Will Be Biggest Challenge to Patriots - Scouting Report - NESN.com

The Jets are great at disguising their blitzes, and they obviously spent time this offseason self-scouting their own tendencies. This could make it more difficult for a Week 2 matchup, as opposed to a game later in the season when the Patriots will have more game film to study. Because the Patriots have to expect to get beat on some blitzes this weekend, they've got to make sure they've got some safety blankets who can bail out Brady on quick dump-offs.

Typically, a good screen game is a great way to offset blitz-heavy teams, but Jets head coach Rex Ryan is famous for killing that theory. When the Jets blitz, they almost always send one guy into the backfield to level the running back, taking him and the screen option completely out of play.

Good point about the Jets blitzing schemes and hiting the RB but I'd respond by using my TEs or WR screens as alternative outlets. A comment, targeting the RB by the blitzer negates that blitzer as a QB threat. What I think the JETs really do which makes them difficult to deal with is that they totally vary their blitz schemes and responsibilities. They employ a blitzing scheme similar to Brady and the WRs route running scheme, each player is responsible to read and react in a certain coordinated way. Takes lots of coordination and the Jets do it well.

Thanks for the great break down PatsFanKen - as well as the many that responded with their own analysis.

Figured I'd post this here rather start a separate thread. Not as good as PFK's detailed write-up, but Jeff Howe from NESN - who quietly has become one of the better columnists that follows the Pats, in my opinion - writes about the Pats' challenge in overcoming the Jets' defense.

Solving Rex Ryan's Complicated Blitz Schemes Will Be Biggest Challenge to Patriots - Scouting Report - NESN.com

The Jets are great at disguising their blitzes, and they obviously spent time this offseason self-scouting their own tendencies. This could make it more difficult for a Week 2 matchup, as opposed to a game later in the season when the Patriots will have more game film to study. Because the Patriots have to expect to get beat on some blitzes this weekend, they've got to make sure they've got some safety blankets who can bail out Brady on quick dump-offs.

Typically, a good screen game is a great way to offset blitz-heavy teams, but Jets head coach Rex Ryan is famous for killing that theory. When the Jets blitz, they almost always send one guy into the backfield to level the running back, taking him and the screen option completely out of play.

This again, is why I have been arguing that the key is to beat the scheme before it has a chance to develop. Get rid of the ball fast and you defeat any new wrinkles the Jets have put in it.

That is the far better solution, rather than taking the complicated approach of deciding who to block, especially when you have two rookie TE's whose blocking is average at best. The more complicated your approach to game-planning, the more chances it has to screw up.

Let's face it. On paper, the Patriots are clearly the better team - just like they were last year when healthy like they are now. Especially having seen a year's worth of film Ryan's D now, Brady shouldn't have too many problems and the Jets won't be able to match up to Welker, Edelman, and Hernandez.

But to me, this game is really not about the Jets or the match-ups. It's all about whether the Patriots can answer the bell in the second half of the game. Last year's team was 1-6 on the road and blew a second half lead in 5 of those 6 games. This is their opportunity to show that they are tougher than they were last year - both mentally and physically. If they can do that, they will win.

11. As a Pats fan, here is my biggest concern for this game. Historically it hasn't been wise to bet against the team that is viewed the most "desperate". It's even less wise to bet against a HOME team who is the most "desperate", AND even though its early in the season, and the Pats have had 3 superbowl teams that started 0-2 or 1-3, make no mistake about it, the Jets are a "desperate" team. They wouldn't just be 0-2 but they'd be 0-2 with 2 home losses, 2 conference losses, and heading down to Miami.....OUCH.

That makes this a MUST win, and while I can see a lot of positive aspects to this game and fully expect the Pats to win.....I can't get this old football adage out of my head and it worries me.

The only thing that concerns me...if the Jets started the season 1-0, i would be much more confident about this game

This again, is why I have been arguing that the key is to beat the scheme before it has a chance to develop. Get rid of the ball fast and you defeat any new wrinkles the Jets have put in it.

That is the far better solution, rather than taking the complicated approach of deciding who to block, especially when you have two rookie TE's whose blocking is average at best. The more complicated your approach to game-planning, the more chances it has to screw up.

Too simplistic an approach, psycho. As a DC, my immediate response would be to make you think I'm coming and trap you into a quick throw, while I'm in a tight 5 under zone, or man. With you throwing quickly I have a good chance for a pick or at worst a tackle for a little or no gain.

This is what teams have started to do with us. Think about all the critical 3rd and shorts we haven't made in the recent past....many even after a completed pass.

No while your idea has some merit, but not as dominant philosophy. The thing we have to be consistent in......is being inconsistent (and thus another oxymoron is created :D ). Many formations. Alternating between quick snaps to get them off guard before they can get set, and long snaps which give our O more time to see what they are attempting. I would n't mind seeing spurts in the game when we go to the no huddle and a fast pace. Which would keep them from getting set and making personnel adjustments.

In other words.....EVERYTHING....but all in moderation. :D

Let's face it. On paper, the Patriots are clearly the better team - just like they were last year when healthy like they are now. Especially having seen a year's worth of film Ryan's D now, Brady shouldn't have too many problems and the Jets won't be able to match up to Welker, Edelman, and Hernandez.

But to me, this game is really not about the Jets or the match-ups. It's all about whether the Patriots can answer the bell in the second half of the game. Last year's team was 1-6 on the road and blew a second half lead in 5 of those 6 games. This is their opportunity to show that they are tougher than they were last year - both mentally and physically. If they can do that, they will win.
Are you saying the key to this game, and really the entire season is attitude, drive, urgency, desire to win............at the level of a Champion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST