PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If this is Bill’s last season as HC, who do you want as a replacement?

Nice to see the "young" group think is alive and well despite having no correlation to being innovative.

On that list Vrabel and Flores are the only two I want. They know how to run football teams which is ultimately what a HC does.

I don't want anyone that's ever coached with Bill Belichick. I don't want his kids, his friends, his coaching buddies, his associates, no one. Start new. Sean McVay sounds good to me. You have to hire someone with head coach experience.

Ben Johnson, Eric Beinemy, Ken Dorsey, anyone who has ever walked by Mike McDaniel/Sean Mcvay in a hallway, and Lincoln Riley if we can get in position to get Caleb Williams.

I wanted to take Pickens
Instead of Thornton, I would like to submit my candidacy for GM!

I would have picked Dunlap instead of Cunningham.

Metcalf instead of N’Keal

And I would have traded for Mccafferty and drafted Purdy!!

And I would have NEVER let Brady out the door!

Also I have no kids, so I won’t hire incompetent children.

As a last resort, I'd ask Bill to consider bringing in an outside GM. If he's hesitant on that, then I'd consider him to bring back Thomas Dimetroff or Jon Robinson to be the GM. During his tenure with the Falcons, Dimetroff drafted 13 Pro Bowl/All Pro players from 2008-2020 to Bill's 7. Jon Robinson brought in 6 Pro Bowl/All Pro players from 2016-2022 to Bill's 2.

If Bill won't go for that, then it's time to cut ties and clean house entirely. I don't mind bringing in a Coach that handpicks the GM like Shanahan did with Lynch. Ben Johnson seems to be the hot name right now, but we'll see when the season ends who else emerges as hot candidates.

The thing is that a good offensive coordinator doesn't necessarily make for a good head coach. At first glance I feel like Ben Johnson would be great but do we really have any idea if he'd be a good fit to lead the entire organization? It's a roll of the dice in that regard. I agree though, we need some offensive creativity.
No one entirely knows for sure on assistants until they get the chance.

Most hires are a shot in the dark. Look at McVay in LA.

I wanted to take Pickens
Instead of Thornton, I would like to submit my candidacy for GM!

I would have picked Dunlap instead of Cunningham.

Metcalf instead of N’Keal

And I would have traded for Mccafferty and drafted Purdy!!

And I would have NEVER let Brady out the door!

Also I have no kids, so I won’t hire incompetent children.
I recall watching Kurt Warner stocking groceries in an Iowa supermarket and thinking “I bet he could be an NFL QB.”

Replying to OP’s list of candidates, or one in particular that made me lose my mind:
Ron Rivera would cause me to moth ball my Pats gear, like I did with my Red Sox (until the team is sold….& J Henry, take your wife with you!!) gear couple of years ago.
Sox being sold is a pipe dream so may as well toss my Jerseys.

If we go with someone like Mayo, I would love for the Pats to poach an offensive staff from the Dolphins, Shanahan's or McVays staff to be the OC.

I don't want anyone that's ever coached with Bill Belichick. I don't want his kids, his friends, his coaching buddies, his associates, no one. Start new. Sean McVay sounds good to me. You have to hire someone with head coach experience.
McVay who went from 12-5 with a ring to 5-12 the next year after losing his WR1 (when they were already 3-6)? Sounds like the Sean Payton suggestions from last year.

Deon Sanders

It will absolutely be a thought worth discussing.

First of all: I hope that, for the love all things holy, Kraft stays as far away as possible from the following 3 names:

Patricia
McDaniels
BOB

No more recycling the same regime. If you’re moving on from BB, don’t go back to the same tree and expect different results. You’re better off keeping Bill.

I’m also hesitant on hiring Mayo, but not quite as hesitant. He may be in the BB tree, but I think he would be more willing to adapt to change. He’s very young as a coach, and I could also see him being very willing to delegate out personnel decisions. He’s the one internal hire I wouldn’t hate.

Outside of that, what names would we be looking at? For me, the most intriguing assistant names I see out there right now:

Ben Johnson, OC Detroit: he has been incredible running that offense. I think Dan Campbell will miss him dearly once he leaves.

Bobby Slowik, OC Houston: he is doing amazing things with a very inexperienced offense. Also comes from the McVay tree, which has a high success rate.

Frank Smith, OC Miami, Ken Dorsey, OC Bills: more guys from a successful coaching trees. Would really be a nice move to snag someone from one of our rivals.

Brian Flores: DC Minnesota: if there is a defensive coach to hire, maybe bring Flores back in? He was honestly pretty good in Miami before things became weird there. Wouldn’t mind pairing him with a young OC.

List of candidates who could be fired or leave their current roles:

Mike Vrabel: I’m not really a fan of this one, but I could see him bring a candidate, going back to his NE roots.

Ron Rivera: This is one I’m not interested in. He’s been a great coach, but I think he’s getting past his prime.

Matt Lafleur: I doubt he gets fired, unless this season goes way downhill for them. But if he was available, I’d definitely take a look.

Sean McVay: another one that I doubt gets fired now. He’s honestly doing an amazing job this year with limited resources. I think it’s more likely he steps away altogether from coaching than he is to leave, and take another job.

Kevin Stefanski: he honestly had a great start to his coaching career, but seems like he’s in a toxic situation in Cleveland. Likely gets canned if they miss the playoffs this year. I could see him being more successful elsewhere.

John Harbaugh: if they missed the playoffs, would he finally be fired? It’s not impossible, although not likely. But of course, let’s be real: even if he was available: f*** this guy.

college HC candidates: Most college coaches that would be worth a look at becoming an NFL HC are ones that will likely never leave their role. Guys like Saban, Smart, and Day are pretty broken into their positions. There are two names to watch here:

Jim Harbaugh/ Lincoln Riley: Both are in very cushy roles that would take a perfect situation to leave. But if we are bad enough the rest of the season to stumble into the top pick, and are in a spot to draft Caleb Williams, it would become way more realistic.
Harbaugh has made the playoffs 2x in 10 years.
Dorsey is the main reason the Bills offense sputters. They hate him here; he's awful. McDermott doesn't like him either.

A young, innovative offensive coach that uses modern analytics but is not totally beholden to them.

I don't know who, exactly, that is but that's the type of guy I want.
Since Kliff Kingsbury worked out so well?

6 rings in 20 years was too much for you, huh?

good list
i would favor Ben Johnson, Lafleur or Vrabel

I personally would take Vrabel because his teams are always tough to play even though they lack talent at many spots
Lafleur, McVay are no-brainers also
ben Johnson would get me most exciting

good list
i would favor Ben Johnson, Lafleur or Vrabel

I personally would take Vrabel because his teams are always tough to play even though they lack talent at many spots
Lafleur, McVay are no-brainers also
ben Johnson would get me most exciting
This is interesting to me.
People want to fire the GOAT HC and replace him with Vrabel, assuming he will do such a bad job this year he will get fired and has won 2 playoff games in 6 years or Lafluer, who, again, would have warranted firing in year 5 after having a HOF QB and winning 2 playoff games.

This is interesting to me.
People want to fire the GOAT HC and replace him with Vrabel, assuming he will do such a bad job this year he will get fired and has won 2 playoff games in 6 years or Lafluer, who, again, would have warranted firing in year 5 after having a HOF QB and winning 2 playoff games.
i don't want to fire BB as a Coach necesseraly but i doubt BB is stepping down from GM duties and just coach. But he needs to be replaced as the GM, that is without a question. So in conclusion i think at some point BB will step down within 1-2 years. So these guys i would strongly consider.
Dude Vrabel plays with ****ing Tannehill.
Every great HC has had the most success with a great QB and they look average with crap qb's. How many playoff wins has BB won in the last 4 years? 0
So yeah BB ain't any better than Vrabel with mediocre qb right now

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back